Author Removing Sat Nav Bracket on Gen2  (Read 1759 times)

• Offline Wannyboy   gb

• XR Member  ‐    15
    • Topic Author

Offline Wannyboy

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: S1000XR 2021
    • Town: Lincs
    Removing Sat Nav Bracket on Gen2
    on: March 04, 2021, 03:06:28 pm
    March 04, 2021, 03:06:28 pm
    This may have been covered, but I am looking to fit a TOMTOM but firstly wanted to remove the SAT NAV cradle but not sure if the lead and plug to disconnect is easily accessible or is it a fairing remove job ? I think I have read you can get a replacement plug with leads to power the TOMTOM devices from also ?

In doing this I want to see if I can get a better bracket to mount the TOMTOM nearer and lower in the fairing so it is not sat (no pun) so high. Or alternatively I was looking to see if I can mount a carry box to slide my phone in with a charging lead (Didn't really want it on the handlebars), I like the storage compartment on the KTM 1290SAS inside the front fairing and it's a shame BMW didn't make the little compartment in front of the petrol tank bigger as I like want Ducati have done on the new Multi V4S as it has a storage compartment with USB port in tank that will take a S10 or iPhone 12 size device.

Thoughts ?

• Offline Salem   nl

• XR Pro  ‐    351

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
    • Bike: S1000XR
    Re: Removing Sat Nav Bracket on Gen2
    Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 04:08:41 pm
    March 04, 2021, 04:08:41 pm
    it's easy on a Gen2. Take the screen off and cut the tie wraps. Also then easy (optionally) to take the screen mechanisme off, then gently pull on the cable to see which one it is. The connector is on the LH side under the frame, well below the horn. It also has two tie-wraps, one around the connector, and another one on the cable. I disconnected it for other reasons but did not remove the side panels.

You can position the bar on the lower screen mechanisme screws, about 50mm lower in line with the angle of the screen, but you have to cut off a bit of the not used bosses in between, and have to bend the bar a tiny bit. The bosses are in my none expert opinion for a cover on the 900XR, same part is used

And yes, I've also not yet found a practical use for that storage area

• Offline Darty65   england

• XR Member  ‐    86

Offline Darty65

• XR Member
    • Bike: S1000XR TE (K69)
    Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 01:00:02 pm
    March 05, 2021, 01:00:02 pm
    If you wanted to use your mobile phone for navigation, there is always the wireless / wired smartphone charging cradle?

https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/wear/accessories/navigation-and-communication1/smartphone-cradle.html

• Offline Mab1067   gb

• XR Pro  ‐    209

Offline Mab1067

• XR Pro
    • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
    • Town: PETERHEAD
    Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 10:01:06 pm
    March 08, 2021, 10:01:06 pm
    Does the smartphone cradle fit into the Nav cradle or does this have to be removed? Looked online but a bit misleading and the instruction dont show anything re fitting to existing Sat Nav cradle??

• Offline Darty65   england

• XR Member  ‐    86

Offline Darty65

• XR Member
    • Bike: S1000XR TE (K69)
    Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 09:48:16 am
    March 09, 2021, 09:48:16 am
    You’d have to remove the existing cradle. I looked at having one fitted to a replace the Satnav mount on a 2018 GS TE, but ended up with a Nav6 so didn’t make the change.

I believe the charger comes with brackets, etc. so it would be worth speaking to your local BMW Motorrad dealer if you’re interested. I use Bahnstormer Alton and Adam in spares is very helpful. You could always buy from them if you’re going to fit it yourself and I’m sure they’d be really helpful.

dysfunctional