Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: TankBag for Gen 2  (Read 1435 times)

Offline Mtbman24

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Burnaby, BC
Re: TankBag for Gen 2
Reply #20 on: April 02, 2021, 09:01:57 PM
I can't even find the pro-line to buy in Canada, lol.
The Pro tank bags still lose interior volume to the mounting track since it is also recessed.  The evo clip is held on by 4 flathead screws which really aren't much more prominent than the rivets on the inside.  May a bit of space lost to the velcro strip the covers the hard plastic, but again it's pretty minor.  The volumes are pretty much the same between the EVO and PRO versions (ie. Daypack: EVO 5-9l ; PRO  5-8l) so it's mostly a style & convenience update. 
I've used the same evo bag on 3 different motorcycles and have not needed to change the position of the mounting plate, however IF I didn't already have the EVO tank ring and bag I would probably go for the a Pro Tank bag (and if I could find it in any Canadian shops... :027:).  It's a nifty looking system and certainly is more flexible (there's even an adaptor plate for the tail plate) and only a small bump in price.  :028:
I plan to live forever.  So far, so good!

Offline JerryG

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2021 S1000XR
  • Town: Hendersonville
Reply #21 on: April 03, 2021, 01:07:45 PM
*Originally Posted by Mtbman24 [+]
The Pro tank bags still lose interior volume to the mounting track since it is also recessed.  The evo clip is held on by 4 flathead screws which really aren't much more prominent than the rivets on the inside.  May a bit of space lost to the velcro strip the covers the hard plastic, but again it's pretty minor.  The volumes are pretty much the same between the EVO and PRO versions (ie. Daypack: EVO 5-9l ; PRO  5-8l) so it's mostly a style & convenience update. 
I've used the same evo bag on 3 different motorcycles and have not needed to change the position of the mounting plate, however IF I didn't already have the EVO tank ring and bag I would probably go for the a Pro Tank bag (and if I could find it in any Canadian shops... :027:).  It's a nifty looking system and certainly is more flexible (there's even an adaptor plate for the tail plate) and only a small bump in price.  :028:

I agree Evo's a good bag. Back in September, I was about to buy an Evo, but my local dealer happened to know about the Pro line. When mentioned I wanted to be able to swap one bag back and forth between two bikes with very different gas cap locations, he told me about the Pro line and said to wait a few months. I researched it, was able to find it on SW-Motech's Europe web site, and decided the wait would be worth it. My dealer preordered it for me so I got it when SW-Motech released it in the US. I got it on December 1st. I'm really surprised you still can't find it in Canada. That seems odd this long after the US release. I have not been impressed with how SW-Motech staggers their rollouts this way; very frustrating.

Offline the bartender

• XR Member
  • Town: Vancouver
Reply #22 on: April 03, 2021, 08:39:08 PM

Thwistedthrottle.com is the cdn distributor now. They have them in stock.

Offline Mtbman24

• XR Member
Reply #23 on: April 03, 2021, 11:10:53 PM
*Originally Posted by the bartender [+]

I Just saw that. Prices are USD and still would have to pay import duties.  Luckily, I can live with my EVO a while longer.  I'm still looking at SW Motech's tail bags, but that's getting off topic!

Offline the bartender

• XR Member
  • Town: Vancouver
Reply #24 on: April 05, 2021, 04:35:32 PM
I Just saw that. Prices are USD and still would have to pay import duties.  Luckily, I can live with my EVO a while longer.  I'm still looking at SW Motech's tail bags, but that's getting off topic!

CDN dollar is pretty strong right now, and you would likely only have to pay GST on import. Brokerage fees for USPS are zero i believe. Although a quick email to twisted throttle and they could confirm it. Either way, its cheaper than if you had bought it from the old Cdn distributor.

Offline sinewave

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR TE 2021
  • Town: Cheshire UK
Reply #25 on: April 05, 2021, 05:45:53 PM
Spot on that JerryG !

Decision made for me!   :028:

Offline JerryG

• XR Member
Reply #26 on: April 05, 2021, 08:18:57 PM
Glad to help.  :400:

Offline Mtbman24

• XR Member
Reply #27 on: April 09, 2021, 05:38:19 AM
*Originally Posted by the bartender [+]
I was in High Road getting the calipers changed and the latest firmware update and lo & behold... there's a SW Motech pro bag hanging on a display beside the parts counter!  Might be time to think about visiting an optometrist  :138:

Offline Mtbman24

• XR Member
Reply #28 on: April 09, 2021, 05:42:55 AM
*Originally Posted by JerryG [+]
On the RR:

Also I was going ask what tail bag is on the RR? BMW? It looks great!

Offline JerryG

• XR Member
Reply #29 on: April 09, 2021, 07:22:45 AM
The tail bag is a BMW Motorcycle S1000RR Rear Bag Part Number 77498545894; fits 2011 - 2019. New price seems to be $345 these days.
I got mine in like new condition Sep 2019 shipped from UK eBay to North Carolina for less than $200 including shipping.

Features: - MY EXPERIENCE
Waterproofing: waterproof main compartment - EXCELLENT, INTERIOR IS A DRY BAG
25L capacity expandable to 32L - EXCELLENT, I'VE DONE 10 DAY TRIPS OUT OF THIS BAG
Water resistant outside pockets - VERY LIMITED ROOM GOOD FOR SMALL MOSTLY FLAT ITEMS ONLY
Rubberized zippers - GOOD QUALITY, i USED CANDLE WAX TO LUB THE TEETH
Carrying handle - GOOD QUALITY
Grippy and non-scratching EVA bottom - IT DOES REST ON PAINT; I USED PAINT PROTECTIVE FILM.
Also functions as a backrest - NOT REALLY; ONLY IF YOU HAD REALLY LONG ARMS OR RELEASED THE BARS
Designed to mount onto the passenger seat - CUPS THE SEAT, BUT DOES REST ON PAINT; I USED PAINT PROTECTIVE FILM.
Includes mounting harness - VERY SIMPLE; ONE STRAP UNDER TAIL STAYS WITH BAG WHEN BAG IS DISMOUNTED; ONE STRAP TO EACH PASSENGER FOOT REST BRACKET HALF OF WHICH STAYS ON THE BIKE WHEN BAG IS DISMOUNTED UNLESS YOUR REMOVE THEM WHICH IS A PAIN. IF YOU LEAVE THEM ON, THEY CAN GET DAMAGED RUBBING AGAINST THE TIRE; I USE A RUBBER BAND TO HOLD THEM UP ACROSS THE BACK OF THE SEAT SO THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN.

Getting on/off the bike:
Option 1 that I tend to use for getting on: With the bike on the side stand, I put my full weight on my left foot on the left foot peg and bring my bent right knee/leg up across the seat thru the opening between the gas tank and the tail bag.
Option 2 that I tend to use for getting off: With the bike on the side stand, I put my full weight on my left foot on the left foot peg and swing my straightened right leg back and over the top of the bag.
Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 07:25:51 AM by JerryG

dysfunctional