Author Gen 2 Chain Replacement  (Read 2955 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • Offline Molsal   gb

    • XR Pro  ‐    126
    • ***
    • Topic Author

    Offline Molsal

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 126
    • Bike: S1000XR-TE
    • Town: Flitcham
    • Country: gb
    Gen 2 Chain Replacement
    on: March 18, 2021, 02:37:49 pm
    March 18, 2021, 02:37:49 pm
    Hi, I'm less than impressed with the quality of the oem chain fitted to my gen2 bike. The side plates turn rusty at the blink of the eye , my maintenance is spot on and I like most of you have an arsenal of various lubes to hand, non keep this chain looking smart in the winter.
       That said, does the gen 1 chain fit the gen2 ? any recommendations for a decent good looking serviceable chain, please could someone confirm the number of links and chain spec that I require please. Any links would be helpful, I do like the chains with gold side plates!
        Am I correct in saying that I require a 525 pitch 128 link chain?
    I now know why BMW insist on coating their chains with horrible white grease, it's to mask the poor aesthetics of the product.
    Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 04:27:51 pm by Molsal

  • Offline Antares   gb

    • XR God  ‐    1082
    • *****
      #1

    Offline Antares

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 1082
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    • Country: gb
    Re: Gen 2 Chain Replacement
    Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 02:42:00 pm
    March 18, 2021, 02:42:00 pm
    Doesn't BMW have those magical 0 maintenance required carbon whatshit "M sport" chains now? Might be worth a look. If the claims are true I'd be willing to buy one up to 500 quid, that's like 3 regular chains fitted yourself, or 2 if done by mechanic. I think there is a deal to be had there.

    Edit: Just had a quick look, apparently they are already out and directly from BMW they are 240 quid WOW!
    Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 02:43:13 pm by Antares

  • Offline PaulS1000XR   gb

    • XR God  ‐    1202
    • *****
      #2

    Offline PaulS1000XR

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 1202
    • My 4th XR - guess I like them.
    • Bike: S1000XR 2021 TE
    • Town: Worcester, UK
    • Country: gb
    Re: Gen 2 Chain Replacement
    Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 03:24:29 pm
    March 18, 2021, 03:24:29 pm
    The M chains still rust and require maintenance and are very expensive. Just clean the chain and use some gear oil applied with a rag and it will be fine. If you want a new chain buy a DID X ring with the gold sides which are much cheaper than BMW. Sadly though whatever you get it will rust.
    PSH

  • Offline Antares   gb

    • XR God  ‐    1082
    • *****
      #3

    Offline Antares

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 1082
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    • Country: gb
    Re: Gen 2 Chain Replacement
    Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 03:33:27 pm
    March 18, 2021, 03:33:27 pm
    *Originally Posted by PaulS1000XR [+]
    The M chains still rust and require maintenance and are very expensive. Just clean the chain and use some gear oil applied with a rag and it will be fine. If you want a new chain buy a DID X ring with the gold sides which are much cheaper than BMW. Sadly though whatever you get it will rust.

    I'm not sure it would. They are brass/nickel coated side plates and ta-C coated rollers. The side plates wont rust just like on the DID VX chains but the rollers also don't need chain lube and don't wear out anywhere near as fast as regular chains. I'd say 2x the cost is more than justifiable for the convenience alone, but supposedly they'll also last a 100,000 miles which looking at from an engineering standpoint seems reasonable. Obviously your sprockets will still wear down but those are the cheaper and easier parts.
    Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 03:53:02 pm by Antares

  • Offline PaulS1000XR   gb

    • XR God  ‐    1202
    • *****
      #4

    Offline PaulS1000XR

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 1202
    • My 4th XR - guess I like them.
    • Bike: S1000XR 2021 TE
    • Town: Worcester, UK
    • Country: gb
    Re: Gen 2 Chain Replacement
    Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 04:37:58 pm
    March 18, 2021, 04:37:58 pm
    *Originally Posted by Antares [+]
    I'm not sure it would. They are brass/nickel coated side plates and ta-C coated rollers. The side plates wont rust just like on the DID VX chains but the rollers also don't need chain lube and don't wear out anywhere near as fast as regular chains. I'd say 2x the cost is more than justifiable for the convenience alone, but supposedly they'll also last a 100,000 miles which looking at from an engineering standpoint seems reasonable. Obviously your sprockets will still wear down but those are the cheaper and easier parts.

    Seems some pictures of some pretty awful looking M Chains after a UK winter. Also not sure you could change the M Chain sprockets without breaking the chain.
    PSH

  • Offline Spiceboy   gb

    • XR Pro  ‐    202
    • ***
      #5

    Offline Spiceboy

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 202
    • Bike: XR TE M'Sport
    • Town: Bury St Edmunds
    • Country: gb
    Re: Gen 2 Chain Replacement
    Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 04:55:00 pm
    March 18, 2021, 04:55:00 pm
    Copy my solution, buy a new bike with it already fitted. :745: :745: :008: :152:
    Sorry, in happy mood today.
    Cheers,
    Charlie Spiceboy.

  • Offline Winger   gb

    • XR God  ‐    3522
    • *****
      #6

    Offline Winger

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 3522
    • Town: Birmingham
    • Country: gb
    Re: Gen 2 Chain Replacement
    Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 05:23:52 pm
    March 18, 2021, 05:23:52 pm
    Blimey there’s War and Piece on here already about stock chains and their replacements just do a search.

  • Offline WildBill   us

    • XR Member  ‐    52
    • **
      #7

    Offline WildBill

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Posts: 52
    • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
    • Town: Pensacola Beach
    • Country: us
    Re: Gen 2 Chain Replacement
    Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 09:42:20 pm
    May 10, 2021, 09:42:20 pm
    Am I correct in saying that Gen 2  requires a 525 pitch 128 link chain?

    Also any suggestions and photos of colored chain?

  • Online SimonUK   us

    • XR Master  ‐    931
    • ****
      #8

    Online SimonUK

    • XR Master
    • ****
    • Posts: 931
    • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
    • Town: Upstate, SC
    • Country: us
    Re: Gen 2 Chain Replacement
    Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 10:26:56 pm
    May 10, 2021, 10:26:56 pm
    *Originally Posted by WildBill [+]
    Am I correct in saying that Gen 2  requires a 525 pitch 128 link chain?

    if that is the case, then it is the same as the Gen1, in which case any Gen 1 chain will work.,

  • Offline smithy   au

    • XR God  ‐    2214
    • *****
      #9

    Offline smithy

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 2214
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    • Country: au
    Re: Gen 2 Chain Replacement
    Reply #9 on: May 11, 2021, 03:25:42 am
    May 11, 2021, 03:25:42 am
    *Originally Posted by PaulS1000XR [+]
    Also not sure you could change the M Chain sprockets without breaking the chain.

    Why not..?? :027: :086:

    Smithy.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!