Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Gen 2 reliable?  (Read 836 times)

Offline Thezed111

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
Gen 2 reliable?
on: March 24, 2021, 08:54:51 PM
Hi guys
So I'm in the market for a new bike, currently ride z1000sx, had it from new, 10 years, it does everything I want , sporty, touring, comfortable, reliable, but over the last year I've just started to fall out of love with it,  So I've been looking for a replacement ,
   Looking at the XR it looks like a slightly more upright sitting position compared to the sx, which is something I'm looking for, and I know it's quick over 4K, same as sx, , panniers are intergrated, same as Sx( modified mine to take integrated panniers),
So the only concerns I have are the height , seat comfort, reliability  I'm 5’7” 172cm, don't really want to spend money on lowering kit if I can help it, so anyone my height who has one please let me know what you think,
  The seat looks thin, probably can't add a comfort seat as that will raise the height I'm guessing ,
And lastly is reliability, my sx would run for ever, (Kawasaki industrial engines) reading through the forum there seems to be a few issues on the Gen 2,
Is this a common problem or is it just that they are all on this forum , and it makes it look worse than it is ,
 One thing I have noticed about these two bikes, they are both definitely sport Torres in my mind. Yet there are no head to head comparisons anywhere, they compare it to the versy or GS or multistada,or KTM,  but I think sx and XR do the same job inline 4s
  Desperate to get out on one, or just sit on one , just need this lockdown to do one !
Thanks
Thezed
Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 09:11:47 PM by Thezed111

Offline Macduff

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR TE
  • Town: Nr Toon Town
Re: Gen 2 reliable?
Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 09:51:32 AM
As a Gen 2 XR owner I'm not aware of an real reliability issues. The recalls have been minor (Ecu mount stud) and possibly some weep from front brake seals, maybe some cable routing issues. My front brakes are outstanding and the original Hayes versions though there are rumours circulating that these will be swapped to brembos at some point. Height wise the Gen 2 doesnt have a rear lowering kit as there is no linkage in the rear suspension, you can either get a low saddle or a low chassis version. I'm ok leg length so on the stock height /saddle though I did fit an M-Sport accessory saddle as one came up cheapish on ebay. I only rode the stock saddle on my XR demo ride (about an hour) and the 30 or so miles home from delivery so cant really say if its good or bad but no issues found . The M-sport saddle is comfy noting the its the same shape as standard whcich can limit fore/aft  movement for those with a larger butt and if your legs are short the edges may be troublesome /force you into sitting close to the tank where its narrower.  The Dynamic suspension option (standard on the UK TE spec)  has a min preload setting that is supposed to lower the bike some for mount/dismount. I cant say I've noticed a massive difference when I've tried though it does say it only works on the move in the user manual (if memory serves) which seems to mean you need to set to min preload before you stop so its ready for dismount/mount. Note its not meant to be ridden in min preload setting (again in the manual if memory is correct- its been a while since I read it which is available online via BMW motoradd if you want to peruse) .

Offline brickit

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Exeter
Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 10:13:10 AM
I came from a 2014 SX to a 2017 XR, 18 months ago. I can't comment on your seat issue as I'm 6' 1" but here are some of the things I noticed:
    Start the XR up and it sounds like a scooter. Only starts to sing when you get to 6k rpm. No Kawasaki roar here.

You might stall it pulling off. There is much less low revs torque.

Acceleration/power is noticeably quicker on the XR when the revs are up. That 20hp makes overtaking such a joy.
Handling is on a par. Tyres make all the difference.
    For me, the stock XR seat was a nightmare. A Sellerie seat and an Air hawk was the only solution. I can ride the XR on stock seat for days on end with no problems.

The riding position on the XR is more upright which probably helps. Less weight on the arms.

Lots of electronic gizmos on the XR you won't have had on a 10 year old Kawasaki. Stick with the electronic gear change as it is super good, especially as the bike wears in. Put all your hard earned gear change skills on hold.
Electronic suspension...depends whether you like to do your own manual setups to get it just right.
    Screen. You'll just have to find an aftermarket to suit.

There is loads more to say but you'll just have to get out on a test ride. You'll miss the Kawasaki but you won't want to go back.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 09:15:42 PM
Seems a strange comparison z1000sx to an X/R their nothing like..

At 5.7” reckon you’ll struggle...and that’s sitting on a low seat, and in fairness that goes for any big traillie for want of a better word  S1000R or possibly something like KTM GT or 1290r.

But as a heads up I’d had a life time of all thing Japanese and still have an XT660X to remind me....but going European will come as a culture shock they come with far more of an ‘Edge’ to them...there’s only one way to find out.

Offline Thezed111

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 09:54:23 PM
Thanks for the reply guys, gives me a lot to think about, I really want to like this bike, but the height is a major concern for me, can’t wait to get a test ride......
“ Seems a strange comparison z1000sx to an X/R their nothing like..”
Having never ridden a xr, it just a bit of a guess, but I kind of think, both inline 4s , both designed with touring in mind but on the sportier side, make me wonder if I’ve got it wrong, what do you think winger makes them so different, would value your point of view, always open to opinions 👍👍

Online smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 03:12:37 AM
*Originally Posted by Thezed111 [+]
Thanks for the reply guys, gives me a lot to think about, I really want to like this bike, but the height is a major concern for me, can’t wait to get a test ride......
Having never ridden a xr, it just a bit of a guess, but I kind of think, both inline 4s , both designed with touring in mind but on the sportier side, make me wonder if I’ve got it wrong, what do you think winger makes them so different, would value your point of view, always open to opinions 👍👍

Winger is right, they're not a real comparable bike... the XR will eat the SX alive in all facets...except for the seat...they truly are ordinary at best. The Gen-1 XR is a bit more "Raw" than the Gen-2 and "feels" like a faster bike...but they are actually very close in performance to each other. The Gen-2 has better quick shift and the suspension is better suited to touring.

Either one of the XR's will have the SX for breakfast.

Smithy. 

Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 03:13:58 AM by smithy
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Online herveyw

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Seattle
Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 04:45:54 AM
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
At 5.7” reckon you’ll struggle...and that’s sitting on a low seat, and in fairness that goes for any big traillie for want of a better word  S1000R or possibly something like KTM GT or 1290r.

I'm 5'8" after a night on the rack, maybe 31" inseam, stock seat. The XR is a touch lower than my '14 Multistrada. You won't be flat footed on both sides, certainly, will need to take a little more care where you put your foot down, main stand is a bit of trick (dependent on your weight), and maybe remember to switch the suspension to "low" when you park up, but it's not that big of a deal.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 07:16:40 AM
*Originally Posted by Thezed111 [+]

If you were saying you have a Versys/Africa Twin/GS then fair enough cuz their all a sit up riding position, i’ve An old k1200 with a 4 cylinder motor but sure as hell nothing like my X/R.

Never even had the stock seat, started with the high HP and had a change again since then, stock seat has connections to a park bench  :001:, so the thought of a low thin seat on an X/R certainly wouldn’t be my ideal.

Offline Rik

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR sport se
  • Town: Kiveton park
Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 09:24:08 PM
I'm 5'7 with a 2018 gen 1, standard seat heights are not a problem as with any tall bike, you just need to be aware of surroundings like road camber to determine which foot to put down when coming to a stop, other than that have fun  :001:
Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 09:26:44 PM by Rik

Offline JerryG

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2021 S1000XR
  • Town: Hendersonville
Reply #9 on: March 27, 2021, 09:01:22 PM
I'm 5'7" with a 30 inch inseam. I've put 4,600 miles (7,400 km) on my 2021 XR since delivery in late September; it has a lowered suspension and a comfort seat. I can't flat foot it on the bike, but I don't struggle handling the bike at all.

dysfunctional