Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: V4 Multistrada test ride.........not for me  (Read 610 times)

Offline jakebake

• XR Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: warwick
V4 Multistrada test ride.........not for me
on: March 27, 2021, 08:50:22 AM
I was really hoping to like this bike and had chosen my spec etc  ready to give to the dealer but following 2 hr ride and changed my mind.

The bike rides and handles very much like a GS and feels heavy in the corners . It’s very easy to ride , to the point where it sort of rides itself and does not require much involvement from the rider zzzzzzzzzz

The engine is great and has good punch but reaches each 10krpm limit very quickly and takes some getting used to.

Overall it’s a good bike but not all its hyped up to be. It not a nimble or as involving as the XR and overtime I think you would get bored of it

So looks like I am going to have to revisit a test ride on the gen 2 XR again and re-evaluate. My 2 gripes about the gen 2 XR  were the reduced low down pull compared to the gen 1 and also the gen 2 is too quiet with no induction noise. Since my 1st test ride I have been doing some homework on the Bren tuning and part of the stage 2 is flapper kit to the air box. So this sounds like the route I will go if I decide to buy one

What discounts has anyone achieved for the new XR, best so far is 5%

Offline Parmenion

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Thessaloniki
Re: V4 Multistrada test ride.........not for me
Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 11:12:09 AM
The engine is very short geared compared to the XR. The multi V4 competes the GS not the XR.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
Mario Andretti

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 11:53:34 AM
On the basis it only costs you your time, i’d Go and test ride a KTMGT, i’m Not even going to get into the pro’s con’s just view it as an option.

Re modding the X/R, talk to Nick at Road&Race at Meriden, close enough for you and they did a great job on both my X/R and GT.

Offline OW31

• XR Member
  • Town: Brisbane
Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 03:18:34 AM
*Originally Posted by jakebake [+]
I was really hoping to like this bike and had chosen my spec etc  ready to give to the dealer but following 2 hr ride and changed my mind.

The bike rides and handles very much like a GS and feels heavy in the corners . It’s very easy to ride , to the point where it sort of rides itself and does not require much involvement from the rider zzzzzzzzzz

The engine is great and has good punch but reaches each 10krpm limit very quickly and takes some getting used to.

Overall it’s a good bike but not all its hyped up to be. It not a nimble or as involving as the XR and overtime I think you would get bored of it

So looks like I am going to have to revisit a test ride on the gen 2 XR again and re-evaluate. My 2 gripes about the gen 2 XR  were the reduced low down pull compared to the gen 1 and also the gen 2 is too quiet with no induction noise. Since my 1st test ride I have been doing some homework on the Bren tuning and part of the stage 2 is flapper kit to the air box. So this sounds like the route I will go if I decide to buy one

What discounts has anyone achieved for the new XR, best so far is 5%

And then there's this as well.

Ducati Begins an Engine Replacement Recall for the Multistrada V4 https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/recall/ducati-multistrada-v4-engine-replacement-recall/

Offline Rhincodon

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR SE
  • Town: Liss, Hants
Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 08:02:19 PM
I have been  lucky enough to have two long test rides on the V4 MS - I have one with huge spec on order for one of the first delivery at my local Ducati (was thinking additional to  my S1000Xr  or selling my XR to my Eldest son) I came from 3 GSA's back to back and commute 26k a year (before Covid of course)

I have amended my XR to suit more comfort (I am 57) but it has returned a smile to my face that i last had when I bought the first S1000XR alongside my GSA when they first came out.

My conclusions are simple and I have taken the Ducati on my 120m round trip from Hampshire to City of London and also thrashed it around the A272 /A32 past Loomies etc down to the coast and back along very tight and twisty stuff.

The V4 MS is an alternative to a GS or even a GSA as although it is faster - it is two motorbikes - one below 4k revs and one above 7k and neither match the GSA as an overall alternative IMHO but it is beautifully put together and very comfortable - Seat is amazing and so is the screen - you wont need to change at 6 ft 1 inch which is not something BMW could boast!
I am also so disappointed in build quality of BMW GS lately which you can see on other posts from me as each one has been worse than the last - which is a shame.

V4S Pros:
It is beautiful and everyone looks at you
It is quiet and supremely comfortable (I hate loud Ducatis - for poseurs not bikers)
Screen and controls complicated but all work very well and synching better than BMW!
Ride modes really are different
Brakes to die for

V4S cons:
The Cruise control - distance thing is just scary - I think this should remain on Range Rovers and not bikes.
The front wheel dimension is just wrong - it makes it so slow and heavy to turn in -  it feels like a GSA with full luggage,Wife, full tank, without the nagging. Which is just wrong for something trying to be sporty.
Crazy side stand and centre stand - so hard to find when stopped - I appreciate I am old and less nimble
Very quiet - I have this as a positive - but some may disagree.
PRICE - my one at full spec is £25.5k - so glad Ducati are happy to take my order off me and return my £1500 deposit as I have no interest and will start to commute from APril 12th on my S1000XR and see how it copes with mega mileage as currently I have no 2nd bike - thinking about another GSA or R1250 RT though.

Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 08:16:38 PM by Rhincodon