Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: "The wizard of Earl Shilton" thread .....  (Read 11025 times)

Offline bagwafu

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: South Central
"The wizard of Earl Shilton" thread .....
« on: April 27, 2016, 05:43:04 PM »
Why was the "The wizard of Earl Shilton" thread locked ? 

I'm interested in the debate and learning a bit more.  If an admin was unhappy with potential mud slinging, perhaps a warning then close monitoring would be better than arbitrarily locking the thread.  If said admin is so concerned why is it still visible?
S1000XR SE Sport

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
Re: "The wizard of Earl Shilton" thread .....
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 07:44:30 PM »
I think Rick closed it to avoid another bitch fest. There are two or three on here that are anti Hilltop, and they've made their opinion very clear in other threads, so he didn't want his thread to descend into the usual sh#t throwing.

Offline bagwafu

• XR Pro
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 08:50:52 PM »
But for the people who don't understand how mapping / ecu tuning etc works (I include myself in that group) we'll never learn anything here now as each new thread gets closed.  And other threads on other topics that have a bit of mud slung around them.  I understand that they don't want a total bitch fest, but surely the way to deal with that is to censure the poster, not the thread ?

Guess I'll have to look at this particular subject elsewhere.
S1000XR SE Sport

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 09:46:35 PM »
I'm up for an open discussion about it, but the person that got the OP's back up is so vociferous in his disapproval of Hilltop, it was the only option.

I didn't understand how it worked a few years ago, so went up there on my bike, with the guarantee that if I don't like it I can have my money back, at any time. I had long chats with the business owner, read hundreds of reviews on the Internet, saw the race bikes in his workshop, along with stacks of photos of the guy with loads of very well known racers (in his workshop), so decided that it was worth going for.

And on all the bikes I've had done, I haven't regretted it for a second. You saw me grinning like a Cheshire Cat the day I had it done!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 09:49:38 PM by RichS1000XR »

Offline bagwafu

• XR Pro
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 09:51:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by RichS1000XR [+]
I'm up for an open discussion about it, but the person that got the OP's back up is so vociferous in his disapproval of Hilltop, it was the only option.

Shame, as if someone is rude/arsey on a forum the forum populace will generally turn against them.  However, I guess maybe it is sometimes better to avoid verbal conflict just by shutting it all down.
S1000XR SE Sport

Offline damodici

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SE HP
  • Town: Nottingham
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 06:19:32 AM »
It seems there is some highly 'opinionated' views on tuning and particular methods on this forum, some right and some wrong, most based on fairly small amounts of personal experience more so than fact.

The Hilltop slating isn't entirely necessary, although I must admit if indeed what the chap said to the previous customer is accurate (130bhp tuned to 160bhp) then that's just school playground far fetched as far as I'm concerned.

The only caveat to that is that 'said customers' engine may have been incorrectly set up from the factory, or indeed the first dyno run didn't get past 4th / 5th gear.

But anybody, and I mean anybody worth their salt as a motorcycle tuner throughout the UK would laugh out loud if you requested a  increase of 23% by mapping alone.

Perhaps something went wrong or got lost in translation

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 07:09:00 AM »
I definitely agree that the "before" figures seem very low. Maybe they give an inaccurate before figure to get a bigger wow factor with the after figures?

I'm not worried what they say the bike produces before, as there's obviously an inaccuracy seeing as several independent companies have run dynos on several stock bikes, and they all read around 150 rwhp.

My bike is now around 164 rwhp which is less than a 10% increase from stock, which makes more sense. But the way it rides, the smoothness in every gear, and the torque leave no doubt in my mind that it's a worthwhile "tweak".

Offline damodici

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SE HP
  • Town: Nottingham
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 07:28:56 AM »
*Originally Posted by RichS1000XR [+]
I definitely agree that the "before" figures seem very low. Maybe they give an inaccurate before figure to get a bigger wow factor with the after figures?

I'm not worried what they say the bike produces before, as there's obviously an inaccuracy seeing as several independent companies have run dynos on several stock bikes, and they all read around 150 rwhp.

My bike is now around 164 rwhp which is less than a 10% increase from stock, which makes more sense. But the way it rides, the smoothness in every gear, and the torque leave no doubt in my mind that it's a worthwhile "tweak".

And that in itself is far more plausible in terms of gains but also exactly what you want from a result, happy customer  :002:

Ultimately before and after feeling is subjective, unless you're doing laps on track its very hard to distinguish power gains as opposed to linear drive and smoothness. Switch a sprocket and you 'feel' power gain, until you max out earlier in top speed....horses for courses

I think the only thing that would put me off the chap in question is IF he did claim the gains as suggested, its more a matter of trust from the outset.

Thats not to say what he produces isn't a decent end result, but its a matter of principle and knowing I'm having smoke blown up my arse as a matter to justify work carried out.....to put it crudely

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 07:51:11 AM »
Yep
I closed the thread because Hilltop threads on all forums become a slanging match.

I agree with Rich insofar as the figures matter little to me it is the overall effect and how much better the bike feels afterwards.

All i can say is ring the man up talk to him or visit and watch. He has always offered a money back promise if you are not happy with the result. I believe that has only ever been taken up once by a super ten owner.

I have had 3 bikes done now and i have been very happy with the results on all of them.

As a practical example

My mate has a 1290 super duke R  with a full race system ( it is a silly bike) and last week on a 60 -100 top gear drag race he edged it this week on the same road doing the same thing I won.
we often swap over on our bikes and did so and tried the run again and on my bike he won easily and commented on how much quicker it felt.

AFAIK the only difference in the XR engine and the RR is the cams and some electronic de tune thingy
(gearing may be different but the power restrictions..) so in my mind if you can work around the electronic restriction you will leave the only difference as the cams. then sort out the fueling and timing advancement and a decent increase in power will be the result.

I am not open to argument or being called names etc etc

the thing to do is ride a hill topped XR and compare. or do a top gear roll on side by side and see !!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 08:12:27 AM by Redrick »
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 08:18:56 AM »
Can't say fairer than that, Rick. :821: