Author Topic: Clutch cable anyone?  (Read 2642 times)

Crosshairs and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Watshot

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR Sp SE
Re: Clutch cable anyone?
Reply #20 on: May 07, 2021, 11:28:30 AM
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]

I sent BMW a picture of the cable along with an explanation of what happened and they apologized profusely and offered to pay me back which I politely declined

I’m just curious as to why, having initially pursued a warranty claim, you chose to decline BMW’s offer of compensation?

Offline Big Dog

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Lake Country
Reply #21 on: May 07, 2021, 04:48:26 PM
So as far as the install, do I have to take the tank off to do it?

Online Crosshairs

• XR Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2018 S1000XR
  • Town: Oceanport
Reply #22 on: May 07, 2021, 10:44:56 PM
*Originally Posted by Quent [+]
So closer inspection showed that when under heavy load the lead barrel was jamming in its pivot, causing the cable to flex and eventually break. the markings that led us to find the fault were on the barrel and look similar to this cable. I am not saying this is the cause but worth a look! Also we solved the problem by making a nylon sleeve for the barrel to pivot in.

its a possibility but so far I see no indication that is the case...and the factory cable already has a plastic sleeve over the lead barrel to prevent such an issue..I suppose the aftermarket lever may have a slot that can cause it to bind, but its been 3000 miles since I replaced it, and I see no indication of that so far.... Im leaving on a 6500 mile trip in 3 weeks so ill know for sure soon enough...:)

*Originally Posted by Watshot [+]

I’m just curious as to why, having initially pursued a warranty claim, you chose to decline BMW’s offer of compensation?
This was not about the money but about being brushed off by a service dept without so much as a proper inspection..had they taken the bike inside and shown me what caused the damage, I might  have been fine with it....but the service advisor saw the aftermarket levers and decided right then and there that they caused my issue and it wasn't covered. .he came out to get the VIN and literally blamed the levers  and declined to fix it in less than 2 minutes...he is the main reason I contacted BMW.....and Im not a complainer by nature, I think in my entire life I may have complained 2 times to a company.

*Originally Posted by Big Dog [+]
So as far as the install, do I have to take the tank off to do it?

No , you do not need to remove the tank, only the right side outer plastics
Proud member of the 10/40 club

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #23 on: May 08, 2021, 07:24:22 AM
*Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
There are lots of items which suddenly have a splurge of buying activity - due to being highlighted on bike forums!

(Yes  - I bought the last one from that supplier :169:)

I view it as - I invest a lot of time and money into a 2-3week holiday abroad- What can I do to avoid a bust?

Contacted them yesterday, reckon about a month for the next batch...said stick me on list when they turn up.

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
Reply #24 on: May 08, 2021, 01:14:05 PM
When I bought my R at the beginning of 2015 I read 'all' the woes on clutch cables breaking, so I ordered a spare! 6 years and 33k miles later the original is still fitted(and I have after market levers). Got 27k miles on my 16 XR clutch cable seems fine on that as well.

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Reply #25 on: May 09, 2021, 09:29:01 PM
*Originally Posted by BobT [+]
Zero? BMW seem to think that it is.

Sorry...but BMW are wrong...They tried to blame the failure of the clutch/cruise switch on my '17 on the aftermarket ABM Synto Evo levers, (the best available IMHO).....but it was the switch which had failed internally....nothing to do with the levers. I still have the same levers and the clutch cable is 40k km old and not an issue at all.

Once I showed them that "Their" switch had failed with no continuity...they quickly shut up about my ABM Synto levers and promptly gave me a new switch under warranty, has been fine since.

Smithy.
Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 09:33:14 PM by smithy
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Big Dog

• XR Member
Reply #26 on: May 10, 2021, 01:09:41 AM
Has anyone found a how to video about replacing the clutch cable? If so, let me know please. I found one for an S1000R which should be the same. I think.

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Reply #27 on: May 10, 2021, 08:51:52 PM
*Originally Posted by Big Dog [+]
Has anyone found a how to video about replacing the clutch cable? If so, let me know please. I found one for an S1000R which should be the same. I think.

R is not the same as the XR...but is similar.

XR cable can be replaced without removing the tank but is a bit of a faf, right side plastics need to be removed and the cable threaded through above the starter/thermostat and below the throttle body. The left side adjustment is also difficult to get at unless all the gubbins are removed. Can be done though.

Here's a vid of an "R". He removes the tank though.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #28 on: May 10, 2021, 09:15:04 PM
Not the thread for levers...but I was two sets in before I stopped dancing around my handbag  :001: over the Cost of the HP option so bought secondhand, no slab face on the lever perfectly rounded another league...along with the price  :164:

Offline Big Dog

• XR Member
Reply #29 on: May 10, 2021, 10:13:05 PM
Thanks guys, thats the video I saw. Now I just have to wait for the part to arrive! I couldn’t find one in Canada so I started calling dealers in the USA. Finally found one in San Jose, CA.

dysfunctional