Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Gen2 fuel tank fill capacity  (Read 585 times)

Offline Macduff

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR TE
  • Town: Nr Toon Town
Gen2 fuel tank fill capacity
on: March 28, 2021, 08:20:50 AM
How much fuel are Gen2 riders getting into the petrol tank when reserve is on? Most I've managed sofar is about 15.5 litres with reserve just on (dash message to ride to fuel station) & about 36miles range left showing. Just reading the specs suggest I should still have ~4litres fuel left given its a 20litre tank with 4litre reserve, which may mean the distance to empty I'd had was probably pretty close to real miles as I was on the throttle a lot and my ave consumption is in the high 30mpgs.
Also I find getting the last litre or so into the tank is a PITA and I tend to give up once it starts frothing up the tank fill tube though suspect I could  squeeze 1~2 more litres in If I could be bothered with the faff of clicking the last spurts in.

Offline OW31

• XR Member
  • Town: Brisbane
Re: Gen2 fuel tank fill capacity
Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 10:23:38 AM
*Originally Posted by Macduff [+]
How much fuel are Gen2 riders getting into the petrol tank when reserve is on? Most I've managed sofar is about 15.5 litres with reserve just on (dash message to ride to fuel station) & about 36miles range left showing. Just reading the specs suggest I should still have ~4litres fuel left given its a 20litre tank with 4litre reserve, which may mean the distance to empty I'd had was probably pretty close to real miles as I was on the throttle a lot and my ave consumption is in the high 30mpgs.
Also I find getting the last litre or so into the tank is a PITA and I tend to give up once it starts frothing up the tank fill tube though suspect I could  squeeze 1~2 more litres in If I could be bothered with the faff of clicking the last spurts in.
Don't know if the gen11 is the same as the gen1 but you could take the fuel cap apart and see if it has the silly little tube built in to it that stops you fully filling the tank like the gen1

Offline peterwbaker1100

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR W/B/R
  • Town: Stoke-Sub-Hamdon
Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 07:56:22 AM
Most BMWs I have had are designed like that, K1300S was particularly the worst, if I am patient and dribble fuel in slowly at the end I can normally get another 1-2 in...  Peter   
R1250RT two up / S1000XR for fun!

Offline the bartender

• XR Member
  • Town: Vancouver
Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 04:52:31 PM
i put in around 17 if I fill up when the reserve light comes on, or shortly thereafter. The most I've put in i believe was 20.5.

Offline luxybob

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000Xr 2018
  • Town: Mägenwil
Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 09:25:02 AM
The most fuel I have put in is 17 ltr, need to have bike upright and wiggle it a bit when fuelling, the bike that is

Offline Andy W

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR TE
Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 05:13:00 PM
Does anyone know, with the keyless Gen2, is it possible to undo the torx screws around the filler collar and ease it up to either, a) detach the anti surge tube, or b) to drill a couple of holes in the anti surge tube?

With the Gen2 filler cap being keyless there is wiring to the catch release that didn't exist with my Gen1. Will raising the filler collar damage the release wiring or mechanism in any way?

Thanks,
Andy

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 05:44:52 PM
*Originally Posted by Andy W [+]
Does anyone know, with the keyless Gen2, is it possible to undo the torx screws around the filler collar and ease it up to either, a) detach the anti surge tube, or b) to drill a couple of holes in the anti surge tube?

simply take the tank panel off and you have unrestricted access.. 4 screws, and 4 click in/out things. Gently pull up from the seat side and it comes off. I had the filler neck removed on the gen1, it can give a splash back. It just clicks in and out. You do need to pay attention to the seal, it can move. I ride mostly in groups, the S1000R's need to fill up way earlier, so I left it in on the gen2. Is probably 2kg lighter that way too