Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Gen 1 (2015) Technical questions  (Read 590 times)

Online Antares

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2015 BMW S1000XR
Gen 1 (2015) Technical questions
on: March 30, 2021, 12:39:04 AM
Hi all, I've managed to put near 1000 miles on my XR now and I just have a few questions that I either didn't find an answer to or only vague info, mostly about how the bike works and does things, my previous bike was a 2011 Kawi ER6F with absolutely 0 electronics or adjustment opportunities, no abs, no TC, nothing, so as you might imagine getting on a bike this loaded with features is a whole new world, so here goes:

1: I've heard that the  S1000R's D-ESA settings are different per riding mode as well as D-ESA setting. Is this the case with the XR too? As in D-ESA Road in Riding mode Rain is softer than D-ESA Road in Riding mode Dynamic?
Also the shocks seem a little soft compared to the forks, the front and back don't stay level, the rear dives a bit more, I assume the Preload is setup for some average 80kg bloke including gear, so assuming BMW thinks luggage is like an extra 30kg would it make sense for me to ride in 1 rider + Luggage mode? I'm fairly big about 110kg with gear on and I usually carry a backpack with some basic stuff in it (first aid kit, drinks etc) Plus I have all the luggage racks on the bike as well as engine, rad guards, etc that'd probably add up to 5kg if the bike was stock.

2: Further to the previous question but probably it's own topic is the Steering damper. I've noticed the bike wallows a tiny bit when cornering at high speed, putting the suspension in a harder mode seems to reduce it so I suspect this could be partly to the preload on the rear being a little soft, but if not, is there any way to slow the damper? It seems to be on the soft side and whilst definitely catches awkwardly placed down wheelies and speed wobbles it could be a bit stiffer imo. As far as I'm aware there are no adjustments but someone mentioned the ability to replace the oil in it to something slightly heavier.

3: I'm unsure to how the Integral/Linked brakes work on this bike and would like a little clarification. If you pull the front brake a little bit does it engage the rear brake first and the front later, or does it only engage the front and only start engaging the rear at higher pressures? Also how does the ratio work out in different riding modes? Apparently the higher you go the more forward biased it becomes and some sources say disabling ABS turns of the link, some say it stays on according to the mode even with ABS off. Basically from a practical standpoint I'm looking at, if it engages the rears first it could be used during slow speed stuff or to control a wheelie.

4: This one is to do with the navi, I've got the bike with the Navi 5 and in the My Motorcycle menu there is an Ambient Temp. readout that just shows "--" Isn't that supposed to be getting a reading from the "IN-AIR-TEMP" on the bike's dash? I realise that's not fully accurate but it's decent for getting a rough temperature once you get moving, just subtract 1-2°C.

5: Obviously jumping from 72bhp to 160bhp is a big jump but quite honestly in Road mode the bike is extremely manageable, It behaves just like my ER6 did in 2nd gear near powerband, except the XR is like that all the time in all gears  :008:. Anyway the amount  Dynamic lets wheelies up is very nice for getting comfy with them but at the same time really makes me wary of Dynamic Pro. I'm not sure if I could convince myself to let the bike rip in Dynamic Pro as that front end just pisses off the ground over the slightest crest even in 3rd gear.

That's all I can think of the top of my head, if I remember more questions, or more come up I'll edit this post to add them. It'd be nice to have a point of reference for the future and getting to know the bike better.
Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 12:47:02 AM by Antares

Online wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
Re: Gen 1 (2015) Technical questions
Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 01:13:47 AM
How many miles has the bike done? If the bike is a 2015 model, it might have worn components or just need new fork oil.

Online Antares

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 01:27:22 AM
*Originally Posted by wessie [+]
How many miles has the bike done? If the bike is a 2015 model, it might have worn components or just need new fork oil.

I got it in near pristine condition, it's only done 15000 miles so I wouldn't bet on that yet.

Online wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 01:39:17 AM
*Originally Posted by Antares [+]
I got it in near pristine condition, it's only done 15000 miles so I wouldn't bet on that yet.

has it ever had a fork service? It's due at 18,000 miles so wouldn't do any harm to change the fork oil now to make sure it is at the correct level, correct grade and fresh.

Online Antares

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 01:46:05 AM
It hasn't but I'll do that when the time comes but I don't think there is anything wrong with the forks in particular. At least I don't think that'd be causing the wallowing, it's very slight as well, maybe I'm just nit picky, roads weren't the smoothest and it was a bit windy. As I said D-ESA in a harder setting reduced it significantly too. It's more of a bit of side to side oscillation as you're going through the turn. I think it's probably the imbalance between the shock and the forks or might just be the roads. It's absolutely planted at medium speeds.
Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 01:48:01 AM by Antares

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 07:28:16 AM
I think the fact that the ESA rear shock is not serviceable on a bike of this value is a crime. I had 2 rear shocks on mine and they were both past their best by 15K miles. Why don't BMW build them so they can have the oil changed on them.

I was about 95KG (luckily down to 85KG now :) ) and I ran in the two up mode to get a bit more preload initially, I then dropped the forks through the yokes a bit to speed up the bike turning. This works well but does rob a bit of high speed stability.

Online Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 09:24:42 AM
Electric suspension is still in its infancy, didn’t want it on my X/R and custom ordered a bike without it, in the end took the stock rear shock off and fitted Wilbers and the other bikes I have have the same or Ohlins...

The blip....I bought a KTMGT in 19 they only come with electric suspension....complete rubbish...can only hope that in time I can buy dongles to shut the electrics up and fit some decent kit, my advise never ride a bike with after market suspension so you never compare...what is it they say...you never miss what you’ve never had...

Online Antares

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 10:57:05 AM
Well, I understand the difference is probably there between this and a perfectly set up high end Öhlins shock and forks, but I'd like to point out, my previous suspension experience involves my old 650, which only had preload on the rear and I just changed the oil to something heavier in the front, a 2003 Yamaha XT600 with inflatable forks and 1985 Suzuki RG80 which has a rather close connection to pogo sticks. The XR's suspension is still by faaaaaaaaar the best and it is a massive upgrade over my ER6 where I managed to kind of get the suspension balanced. Because of all the electronics, and frankly the fact that I don't know what I'm doing with suspension where you can manually adjust rebound and compression I'd rather not mess with the XR's suspension. I think the rear spring might be a bit weak for me but only by a hair, when I talk about pitching I'm really only talking about the rear dipping ever so slightly lower. The damping and braking/acceleration characteristics are faultless to me. up to about 100mph it's planted and stays a perfect line. My ER6 has over 50k miles on the stock shock and I still didn't have any real complaints with it. When I changed the oil in the forks around 35k miles there wasn't a massive change and anything I did feel I'd put down to the heavier oil rather than the age of the oil, and even then the only way I could tell is the bike now moved in unison, front and rear.

I welcome this discussion but realistically I'm not gonna shell out 1 grand for a new oem shock or aftermarket suspension atm, I quite like the fact that it is dynamic. I value the ability to change the suspension as I'm riding way higher than having slightly better setup that when you inevitably stray onto some of our fine British roads will put your spine through your skull  :008:

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 11:21:31 AM
I did like the ability to switch the preload on the fly if you load up with kit etc.

It may not be perfect but in the real world its not bad at all, just a shame it can't be serviced.

Online Antares

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #9 on: March 30, 2021, 12:50:48 PM
I'm out currently just stopped at h cafe for a lunch, put the bike in 1+luggage and seems like I'm fat by bmw standards.

This setting is just perfect, wallowing completely gone and much more stable and composed all around whilst also not breaking my spine. Seems like it was just matter of choosing the right settings.