Author Ear Bud Wire Management  (Read 1154 times)

• Offline Low-Brau   us

• XR Master  ‐    542
    • Topic Author

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Master
    • Topic Author
    • Teutonic RocketNaut
    • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
    • Town: Saint Paul
    Ear Bud Wire Management
    on: March 30, 2021, 02:50:34 am
    March 30, 2021, 02:50:34 am

As a fan of corded earbuds, I've yet to find an effective method of managing extra cabling that runs from my Cardo unit mounted to my helmet.  I have roughly three feet (about a meter to the rest of you) flopping around and have never really come up with a method of storing the cable such that I have enough to get to my ears, but not so much extra flopping around in the wind.

Any suggestions?  :027:

DISCLAIMER: The answer to my problem is not "Get Bluetooth".  I can not stand bluetooth ear buds as they are prone to constant interference and connection drops.  :013:
    -Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
      -- zbdmark

• Online Mareng1   gb

• XR God  ‐    1508

Online Mareng1

• XR God
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Town: Cumbria
    Re: Ear Bud Wire Management
    Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 09:40:49 am
    March 30, 2021, 09:40:49 am
    I used in-ear buds for almost a decade, and all I did was fold the excess up so that the folded part hung inside my jacket/T-shirt.   I used elastic band to keep the folds, but if you are sure of the length you require- use a couple of small pieces of heatshrink?  (maybe don't shrink it absolutely tight? - to keep it folded/bundled)

If you used the heatshrink method (full length of the folded section) and put a thin strip of velcro on that.  Do similar behind the Cardo on the helmet?

It's all a bit of a compromise, but I thought - preferential to in-helmet speakers PLUS earplugs.

• Offline Low-Brau   us

• XR Master  ‐    542
    • Topic Author

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Master
    • Topic Author
    • Teutonic RocketNaut
    Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 12:18:47 pm
    March 30, 2021, 12:18:47 pm
    *Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
    I used in-ear buds for almost a decade, and all I did was fold the excess up so that the folded part hung inside my jacket/T-shirt.   I used elastic band to keep the folds, but if you are sure of the length you require- use a couple of small pieces of heatshrink?  (maybe don't shrink it absolutely tight? - to keep it folded/bundled)

If you used the heatshrink method (full length of the folded section) and put a thin strip of velcro on that.  Do similar behind the Cardo on the helmet?

It's all a bit of a compromise, but I thought - preferential to in-helmet speakers PLUS earplugs.

Great suggestion.  The universality of heat shrink!  Would certainly tidy things up.
    -Erik

-- zbdmark

• Offline Watshot   gb

• XR Pro  ‐    161

Offline Watshot

• XR Pro
    • Bike: XR Sp SE
    Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 12:20:18 pm
    March 30, 2021, 12:20:18 pm
    You can buy a decent corded set up which has a short initial length (mine is 18” from bud to plug) and an extension lead for ‘other’ use. Runs perfectly out of the back of the helmet and plugs into my Sena with no excess cable. Also ideal for exercise too as I can clip an IPod shuffle onto my collar without all of the trailing lead.

Obviously this would involve extra expense rather than managing your current set up, but it’s an option. Mine are by Shure, I imagine other manufacturers are available.  :028:

• Offline Low-Brau   us

• XR Master  ‐    542
    • Topic Author

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Master
    • Topic Author
    • Teutonic RocketNaut
    Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 12:32:16 pm
    March 30, 2021, 12:32:16 pm
    The thought did occur to me to shorten the wires, but my electrical skills are boorish and rough.  Not to mention that I probably would have succeeded in destroying the set.
    -Erik

-- zbdmark

• Online Mareng1   gb

• XR God  ‐    1508

Online Mareng1

• XR God
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Town: Cumbria
    Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 04:19:52 pm
    March 30, 2021, 04:19:52 pm
    *Originally Posted by Low-Brau [+]
    The thought did occur to me to shorten the wires, but my electrical skills are boorish and rough.  Not to mention that I probably would have succeeded in destroying the set.

I'd stay clear of shortening a set.  My priority was to find a pair which were comfortable all day, and not bruise my ears when fitting and removing my helmet at the stops.  That would have been more difficult if I had to discount the ones with shorter leads.

• Offline Low-Brau   us

• XR Master  ‐    542
    • Topic Author

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Master
    • Topic Author
    • Teutonic RocketNaut
    Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 07:07:00 pm
    March 30, 2021, 07:07:00 pm