Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Dropped My Bike Today!  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Molsal

• XR Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000XR-TE
  • Town: Flitcham
Dropped My Bike Today!
on: April 01, 2021, 12:31:59 AM
 :430: Oh dear, rode into my local petrol station for a fill up, came to a halt, left foot down, lost my footing, tipping point arrived and quickly past and over I went bike on top of me. I quickly killed the engine and extracted my leg. A very helpful builder rushed across to see if I was OK , and to assist in righting the bike. Damage was virtually zero just a small mark on the hand guard and bar end weight, the crash bung had done a fantastic job. Damage to me, just a very sore hip, I was wearing normal trousers and trainers as I was just going the half mile trip to top up, so no hip pad, I did however have my riding jacket on so no damage to elbow or shoulder,lesson learned. Damage to pride severely dented  :001: .
A good lesson on how rusty I have become, and always to wear suitable clothing and footwear.
Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 02:13:03 AM by Molsal

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR 2021 TE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
Re: Dropped My Bike Today!
Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 07:20:41 AM
Sorry to hear, can easily happened, at least not too bad
PSH

Offline orbits

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Cotswolds
Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 07:36:56 AM
One of those minor moments many of us have had when the priority is quickly checking whether anyone else saw your muppetry!

I did similar on route to a track day at Rockingham ~15years ago. Pulled up at the petrol pump, filled the tank, got off and realised I’d not put the side stand down. Next thing I’m flailing on the floor and my mate looks around shakes his head and carries on filling his own tank. Snapped 2/3rds of my left foot peg off, which was the only real damage; still did the track day  :002:

Offline Neale

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Barnsley
Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 08:03:21 AM
 :430: Dropped mine 2 weeks ago leaving the MOT centre. Luckily my left leg and foot protected the bike from any major damage   :015: since bought a lowering kit from Soupy's but cant shift the front bolt to remove the original link  :112: So frustrating but at least I've got an old fireblade to ride while I get it sorted.

Online Darty65

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR TE (K69)
Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 09:06:46 AM
In the same vein, I dropped my 2020 bike on the second day I had it, in front of my IAM Associate. I was demonstrating slow control in a car park with a slope. I was doing a few miles an hour but still on an incline with the HSC (which was factory set in Auto mode) on, when the bike decided to apply the electronic brakes. Of course, I couldn’t hold it and the bike went down, scuffing my brand new £400 BMW pannier!

It took a call to the dealer, and another to BMW support, to understand what the user manual was telling me about Auto mode before I switched it to manual. It seems that on a downhill slope at around 1mph, the bike decided that I wanted to stop, so applied the brakes - THANKS!

The Gen2 has some wonderful electronic interventions but they’re not always welcome. Don’t even get me started on the indicators, which I had to pay a local dealer £10 to default to on when I want them on; and off when I cancel them!  :010:

Offline Colin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Peterborough
Reply #5 on: April 01, 2021, 10:23:40 AM
Nearly dropped mine a couple of times when I first got it when putting the side stand down using the end (foot) of the stand and my trouser leg getting caught in the foot peg  :745:........until I realised there’s a small lug halfway up the stand and therefore in front of the foot peg you can use with your heel and avert muppetry.

Offline Becksy

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR (2016)
  • Town: Warwickshire
Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 04:36:30 PM
We’ve all done it!

Offline Mtbman24

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Burnaby, BC
Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 09:09:40 PM
*Originally Posted by Darty65 [+]
In the same vein, I dropped my 2020 bike on the second day I had it, in front of my IAM Associate. I was demonstrating slow control in a car park with a slope. I was doing a few miles an hour but still on an incline with the HSC (which was factory set in Auto mode) on, when the bike decided to apply the electronic brakes. Of course, I couldn’t hold it and the bike went down, scuffing my brand new £400 BMW pannier!

It took a call to the dealer, and another to BMW support, to understand what the user manual was telling me about Auto mode before I switched it to manual. It seems that on a downhill slope at around 1mph, the bike decided that I wanted to stop, so applied the brakes - THANKS!

The Gen2 has some wonderful electronic interventions but they’re not always welcome. Don’t even get me started on the indicators, which I had to pay a local dealer £10 to default to on when I want them on; and off when I cancel them!  :010:

I'm also not a fan of the HSC system and just turned it completely off!   Haven't had any problems with the turn signals but maybe I'm just a bad rider.. :084:
As for dropping your bike, it can happen to the best of us.   Check out vlogger TBRD's (ThrottleBackRubberDown) videos on his drop.  Almost $2k in repairs! 
I plan to live forever.  So far, so good!

Offline fozz

• XR Pro
  • Bike: s1000 xr se
  • Town: Somerset
Reply #8 on: April 03, 2021, 10:04:59 PM
Yep dropped mine, well lied it down gently really :006:,two up, fully luggaged and stalled it. Missed my footing.No damage.

Offline Becksy

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR (2016)
  • Town: Warwickshire
Reply #9 on: April 04, 2021, 07:06:01 PM
*Originally Posted by fozz [+]
Yep dropped mine, well lied it down gently really :006:,two up, fully luggaged and stalled it. Missed my footing.No damage.

How did the pillion take it?

dysfunctional