Author Continual flat battery after fitting GIVI additional halogen spotlights  (Read 1663 times)

• Offline Timc   gb

• XR Member  ‐    16
    • Topic Author

Offline Timc

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: s10000xr se
    • Town: BRISTOL
    Continual flat battery after fitting GIVI additional halogen spotlights
    on: April 02, 2021, 08:30:07 am
    April 02, 2021, 08:30:07 am
    Hi Folks
    I wonder if anyone could offer assistance please!
    I've a 2016 XR and I've fitted GIVI S310 additional spot lights .

I currently have a garmin satnav fitted which is taken off a live lead. When the ignition is turned off the satnav remains on for a short while then turns off. Simple. I took the live lead for the additional lights off the same lead cable. They worked well and turned off after approx 30 seconds. The bike is always plugged into my canbus Optimate charger.

The problem is that i can start the bike ok, ride it etc but then the battery is completely flat. This has happened several times and I've been stranded on a rideout.
    I've used a battery /alternator and the battery appears to be holding its charge. With the engine running, heated grips & lights turned on , the tester shows that the alternator is putting 14+ volts into the battery.
    So i bought a brand new YTZ10S battery . All good for 1 week . I drove home after a ride out and left my bike on the driveway. Later it failed to start with a flat battery.

BMW Bristol wont look look at it or carry out a diagnostic survey as 'I've fitted non BMW additional lights'.
    Can anyone help me please as I've no confidence in the bike and weary of being left stranded on a ride out.
    Thanks guys

• Offline Salem   nl

• XR Pro  ‐    373

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
    • Bike: S1000XR
    Re: Continual flat battery after fitting GIVI additional halogen spotlights
    Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 09:21:09 am
    April 02, 2021, 09:21:09 am
    If you see 14+V alternator and regulator are working. When Satnav and lights switch off after 30 seconds that works fine too. I'm suspecting a loose battery terminal, with vibrations of the bike while running it's not taking a charge, but with each start while out on a ride it's being discharged.
    Either that or you have a drain somewhere. To check that switch it off, wait till the satnav goes off, and disconnect a battery terminal. When you hold that again back to the battery there should be the tiniest of a spark. Larger spark and you have a problem. With a multimeter you can check the current draw. Someone will know but I guess it should be no more than  10 milliamp

• Offline Timc   gb

• XR Member  ‐    16
    • Topic Author

Offline Timc

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 09:41:46 am
    April 02, 2021, 09:41:46 am
    Morning
    Thanks for the good advice. I'll update the forum one ive tried it. Cheers

• Offline wessie   gb

• XR Master  ‐    622

Offline wessie

• XR Master
    • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
    • Town: Cheltenham
    Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 10:13:25 am
    April 02, 2021, 10:13:25 am
    Sound like you are exceeding the output of the alternator, assuming all connections are sound.

The alternator might be able to supply all of the active systems but not have enough power left to adequately charge the battery to compensate for the charge used on starting the bike. This is demonstrated by the new battery being okay for a period but after a few days becoming discharged.

"S310 features 12v/55w halogen lights" - that's a lot of extra current to add to the load on the alternator. Effectively two additional H7 headlamps. If you want additional lights, get some low current LED lamps.

• Offline Salem   nl

• XR Pro  ‐    373

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
    Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 10:48:54 am
    April 02, 2021, 10:48:54 am
    *Originally Posted by wessie [+]
    "S310 features 12v/55w halogen lights"

:005: did expect they were led's... The 2016 has a 350W alternator, so here we have 165W just in the three bulbs, add another 100W for other lights, satnav, instruments, ignition and you come close to 350. If OP runs with heated grips he's likely over

• Offline wessie   gb

• XR Master  ‐    622

Offline wessie

• XR Master
    • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
    • Town: Cheltenham
    Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 11:29:14 am
    April 02, 2021, 11:29:14 am
    *Originally Posted by Salem [+]
    :005: did expect they were led's... The 2016 has a 350W alternator, so here we have 165W just in the three bulbs, add another 100W for other lights, satnav, instruments, ignition and you come close to 350. If OP runs with heated grips he's likely over

they are a very old design

Givi make these https://www.givi.it/givi-products/motorbike-accessories/spotlights/s322-led-projectorswhich only use 14W per lamp. The OP needs to upgrade but they are double the price!
    Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 11:30:40 am by wessie

• Offline Timc   gb

• XR Member  ‐    16
    • Topic Author

Offline Timc

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 09:14:47 am
    April 03, 2021, 09:14:47 am
    Thank you all for the good advice . I'll buy LED replacement bulbs.

• Offline marksmcparts   gb

• Approved Vendor
    • XR Member  ‐    59

Offline marksmcparts

• Approved Vendor
    • XR Member
    • Town: Anglesey
    Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 08:49:06 am
    April 20, 2021, 08:49:06 am
    I had a similar problem on my 65 plate XR. Whenever it was parked up for a few days the battery would go flat. BMW had it back under warranty and said they'd replaced one of the electronic modules (didn't say which one) and the battery. All was fine after that. The modules can fail, and be difficult to track down - not comforting news but nevertheless factual.

You don't say which live feed you've used. Are you sure its capable of handling the current you are asking of it? The sat nav feed is rated at less than an amp and your lights (even LEDs) will draw significantly more than this. If it helps you I make and sell a 5 way fused outlet that you can trigger from the sat nav feed, which gives you 5 independent high-current power outlets.

See details here https://www.marksmotorcycleparts.co.uk/product-page/5-way-switched-fused-power-outlet-1
    or in the forum small business sponsors section.

All the best, Mark