Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Shock removal gen2  (Read 362 times)

Offline Bimmerdimmer

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000XRTOUR
  • Town: MelbourneAus
Shock removal gen2
on: April 06, 2021, 05:15:51 AM
Anyone done it? I want to replace the spring and looks like you really need to do some stripping on the gen1 is it same for gen2 being a different set up?

Online smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Re: Shock removal gen2
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 08:49:21 PM
*Originally Posted by Bimmerdimmer [+]
Anyone done it? I want to replace the spring and looks like you really need to do some stripping on the gen1 is it same for gen2 being a different set up?

Gen-1 and Gen-2 are totally different. The Gen-2 doesn't have the "links" like the Gen-1 and is bolted straight to the swingarm. I believe the rear "subframe" has to be "swung up" out of the way a bit to remove the shock.

Smithy.
Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 08:52:21 PM by smithy
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Bimmerdimmer

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 12:17:29 AM
Yeah access doesn’t look too bad for top and bottom mounts. I’ll wait for the spring to arrive and see how it goes. It may need some sub-frame adjustment for gas reservoir to get clearance but it appears the bike may not require full fairing strip down to do so(fingers crossed). Thanks for input and I’ll let you know how it goes.

Offline Bimmerdimmer

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 10:59:23 AM
Ok subframe swings up after a couple of bolt removals, see image. Now my concern is disconnecting the oil line, is it under pressure? How do I go about it? Also the sensor line at the bottom of the shock, again see image, does that disconnect from the shock, I can’t see it atm as behind swing arm, the other end of the sensor line connects to the module and that looks impossible to get to without a lot of stripping.
Struggling with images will load shortly.

Offline Bimmerdimmer

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 11:08:28 AM

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 11:56:43 AM
Looks like a hydraulic preload adjust line, so it will be full of oil and would need bleeding when replaced.

dysfunctional