Theme Select



Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Replace Electronic suspension with Non Electronic on Gen 1?  (Read 686 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

#20

Online Mareng1

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1095
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Cumbria
  • Country: gb
Re: Replace Electronic suspension with Non Electronic on Gen 1?
Reply #20 on: April 06, 2021, 07:31:24 PM
It does work pretty well, especially with countering dive on the front.

BUT - when it fails (and many do) you are faced with a huge bill to fix.

Smart money says - buy the electronic bike, remove the suspension and fit good aftermarket suspension.

Save the E-suspension either to refit to the bike before sale (should get a good price for it), OR - sell the E-suspension to someone who balks at BMW cost to replace their broken e-suspension (out of warranty)


#21

Online Winger

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2940
  • Town: Birmingham
  • Country: gb
Re: Replace Electronic suspension with Non Electronic on Gen 1?
Reply #21 on: April 06, 2021, 08:06:26 PM
I’m still laughing about the guy you met who reckoned race teams are on electric suspension...

Re the X/R ploughed the same route as all the other bikes I have, the suspension is just part of the jigsaw puzzle, I know what I want and how to get it, the dreaded unmentionable ....can afford to do it, aftermarket sus,Dymags,Akra headers, Power Commander, 3 seats before I/we stumbled across the right one, and the bike has been untouched for years it’s that good,although maybe a decent steering damper...

I’m in the same boat as Bazzer but with a KTM,I’ve gone the same route as other bikes not bargaining on the suspension not being able to keep up with the job..spending way too much time pressing this and that trying to find the right setting, it’s going to be a challenge alright, which no doubt will have some twists and turns an no little entertainment  :001:

#22

Online Antares

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Posts: 35
  • Bike: 2015 BMW S1000XR
  • Country: gb
Re: Replace Electronic suspension with Non Electronic on Gen 1?
Reply #22 on: April 06, 2021, 08:32:33 PM
*Originally Posted by Darty65 [+]
IMO

What might be useful, is if someone in the know could announce what optimal weights each setting was factory designed to cope with - i.e. assumed weight range of one rider, assumed combined weight range of rider and pillion, then finally the allowance for luggage. Then Gen 1 owners could decide on the optimal settings depending on their combined body weight and kit. I had similar issues with my RT’s which I usually rode in rider and pillion setting and an RS which I rode as a single rider on full preload and still could have done with being jacked up at the back.

As I have a Gen 2 I can only select Auto, which I suspect is simply designed to keep the bike level to cope with a wider weight range? Personally, I find the dynamic setting great for hooning around and road perfectly comfortable when the road finishes are less than track conditions or I need to pee. The XR turns on a sixpence so I couldn’t imagine needing to raise the rear other than on a track and frankly you’d want the RR for that anyway.

If I had to guess somewhere around 70-80kg including riding gear. I weigh about 105-110 kg with full riding gear and the single rider option was too soft on the rear for me, 1 rider + luggage option (assuming BMW counts 3x10kg for each hard case) and that's right about perfect for me. Front and rear move in unison and feels fine under acceleration and braking.

#23

Offline bazzer

  • XR Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 969
  • Town: Waterlooville
  • Country: gb
Re: Replace Electronic suspension with Non Electronic on Gen 1?
Reply #23 on: April 08, 2021, 08:59:29 AM
I would love electronic control of the normal valving which I think is how the latest gen of Ohlins electronic suspension works. So you would have the option of running it active or just setting it as you wanted.

So you could have presets, it is cool to be able to push a button to soften up the suspension on a really really crap road and tighten it up on a billiard table.

I think we do need to put things in perspective, even in standard trim the suspension is not that bad at all. I am 90KG and I think its one of the most easy to ride bikes on real roads I have had. I have done a lot of miles on it, in fact more than any other single bike I have owned, so I am really familiar with it, so that might be some reason I am pretty confident riding it.

If the K-tech does not work out for me I can always put it back to standard, however I am pretty confident it will work well.

We need to not lose sight of the fact the important bit for most people is enjoying riding the bike, not developing it into something else :)

#24

Offline Dark Rider

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 49
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Cape Town
  • Country: za
Re: Replace Electronic suspension with Non Electronic on Gen 1?
Reply #24 on: April 08, 2021, 09:06:02 AM
*Originally Posted by bazzer [+]
I would love electronic control of the normal valving which I think is how the latest gen of Ohlins electronic suspension works. So you would have the option of running it active or just setting it as you wanted.

So you could have presets, it is cool to be able to push a button to soften up the suspension on a really really crap road and tighten it up on a billiard table.

I think we do need to put things in perspective, even in standard trim the suspension is not that bad at all. I am 90KG and I think its one of the most easy to ride bikes on real roads I have had. I have done a lot of miles on it, in fact more than any other single bike I have owned, so I am really familiar with it, so that might be some reason I am pretty confident riding it.

If the K-tech does not work out for me I can always put it back to standard, however I am pretty confident it will work well.

We need to not lose sight of the fact the important bit for most people is enjoying riding the bike, not developing it into something else :)

This is how the Ohlins on my MT10SP was. Probably my favorite feature.

You can electronically adjust the compression and rebound front and rear and manually set the preload.

Once you have you settings you can save them.

So I had Track setting, road setting and then an active setting.

few clicks of a button and the bike was track ready or road ready.

Great bike but horrendous fuel consumption and mine had a terrible fueling issue, most people have them reflashed in the USA, but that wasnt an option for me, so sold it.

#25

Offline bazzer

  • XR Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 969
  • Town: Waterlooville
  • Country: gb
Re: Replace Electronic suspension with Non Electronic on Gen 1?
Reply #25 on: April 08, 2021, 09:10:49 AM
Yeah my mate has a MT-10 and the fuel range is probably the only downside. My Tuono is the same, great bike love the V4. However the 80miles to the fuel light, makes going places on it a bit of a drag, good for local blats though. Though that said I did to a 3K mile tour on it through the Alps and down to Corsica, Sardina and then back up through the Italian Lakes :)

Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 09:13:43 AM by bazzer

#26

Offline Dark Rider

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 49
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Cape Town
  • Country: za
Re: Replace Electronic suspension with Non Electronic on Gen 1?
Reply #26 on: April 08, 2021, 09:25:46 AM
*Originally Posted by bazzer [+]
Yeah my mate has a MT-10 and the fuel range is probably the only downside. My Tuono is the same, great bike love the V4. However the 80miles to the fuel light, makes going places on it a bit of a drag, good for local blats though. Though that said I did to a 3K mile tour on it through the Alps and down to Corsica, Sardina and then back up through the Italian Lakes :)

Sounds like you have the same setup as me then! Tuono and XR. Best combination.

Tuono fuel range is pretty bad on the Gen1 V4, avg 130-150kms on the "15L" tank...

Tuono I use for close rides and track days. XR for longer tours and "Lazy" rides ;)


#27

Offline bazzer

  • XR Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 969
  • Town: Waterlooville
  • Country: gb
Re: Replace Electronic suspension with Non Electronic on Gen 1?
Reply #27 on: April 08, 2021, 10:00:23 AM
Awesome I have a yellow APRC without ABS 2013, had it from new. I love a good mod its got K-tech Carts and shock, IRC blipper, Arrow can, Gabro ECU and Giamoto rearsets etc


#28

Offline Dark Rider

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 49
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Cape Town
  • Country: za
Re: Replace Electronic suspension with Non Electronic on Gen 1?
Reply #28 on: April 08, 2021, 10:05:16 AM
*Originally Posted by bazzer [+]
Awesome I have a yellow APRC without ABS 2013, had it from new. I love a good mod its got K-tech Carts and shock, IRC blipper, Arrow can, Gabro ECU and Giamoto rearsets etc

Very nice! Mine is pretty tame, race ecu, scorpion exhuast and thats it!

#29

Offline bazzer

  • XR Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 969
  • Town: Waterlooville
  • Country: gb
Re: Replace Electronic suspension with Non Electronic on Gen 1?
Reply #29 on: April 08, 2021, 10:25:24 AM
Here is mine last Friday, generator packed up on the way home. Common problem more of an If than a when. There is a stator flywheel upgrade kit to make sure it does not happen again.


 



dysfunctional