Author Gen 2 XR - Battery issues & poor service from BMW Assistance  (Read 2073 times)

• Offline Darty65   england

• XR Member  ‐    84
    • Topic Author

Offline Darty65

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: S1000XR TE (K69)
    Gen 2 XR - Battery issues & poor service from BMW Assistance
    on: April 11, 2021, 04:14:01 pm
    April 11, 2021, 04:14:01 pm
    Does anyone know if BMW have been fitting sub-standard batteries to their 2020 XR's? Mine was recovered this afternoon (following a catalogue of rubbish service from BMW Assistance) with a duff battery. Purchased in Sept 20, but likely manufactured in Q2, 2020 this was not expected. There appears to have been an issue with batteries failing on bikes around this era and I wonder if anyone else has suffered the same issue. My bike is fitted with a BMW optional alarm and the Datatool tracker which comes with new UK bikes.

Also, I want to escalate a complaint about the time taken to resolve my issues and recover the bike from my home. BMW Assistance says that if I leave my details, a manager will contact me within five working days. Surely, they can understand why this in itself would lead us to conclude that their service is not adequate? So, I would love to know who to contact in BMW UK with details of my complaint?

Any support gratefully received, hopefully to the benefit of all BMW Motorrad UK customers!!

Many Thanks, Martin
    Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 05:29:37 am by Darty65

• Online wessie   gb

• XR Master  ‐    617

Online wessie

• XR Master
    • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
    • Town: Cheltenham
    Re: Gen 2 XR - Batterie issues & poor service from BMW Assistance
    Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 06:03:24 pm
    April 11, 2021, 06:03:24 pm
    the batteries are small on the XR - with the tracker & alarm, are you keeping the bike on a battery tender?

As for complaints, option 2 here https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/footer/contact/contact-us/customer-complaints-procedure.html as it is not a dealer matter.

• Offline esso_sa   ba

• XR Pro  ‐    196

Offline esso_sa

• XR Pro
    • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
    • Town: Sarajevo
    Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 06:05:08 pm
    April 11, 2021, 06:05:08 pm
    Mine is Q2/2020 and the battery is fine. I don't have the optional alarm.
    Battery is made by Exide (at least on my bike), which is a known and reliable battery manufacturer
    Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 06:06:50 pm by esso_sa

• Offline Winger   gb

• XR God  ‐    3522

Offline Winger

• XR God
    • Town: Birmingham
    Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 07:28:01 pm
    April 11, 2021, 07:28:01 pm
    Always tricky threads like this...what Wessie said for a start...I have a fair amount to do with the trade and the only things alarms are good at are killing batteries never mind what else is draining battery 24/7...yea yea I know BM are selling a product and should have all this worked out, but my experience you can substitute BM for just about any other manufacturer and still be up to your neck in mud an alligators.

Perish the thought but when it comes to security it’s all about big F off locks.

Who gave you the info about a bad battery batch?

As for BM assist, never used them when I had mine under warranty...never mind what the small print or your rights say...I want to be in control and i’d be using a 3rd party at my expense if I had to, too get it to the dealer ASAP but my gut says with the constant drain you have on the battery you’ll just be going round in circles, the only other suggestion try a lithium battery but even then don’t hold your breath.

• Online Mareng1   gb

• XR God  ‐    1505

Online Mareng1

• XR God
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Town: Cumbria
    Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 07:30:43 pm
    April 11, 2021, 07:30:43 pm
    No matter the cause - it sounds like you should detail it all to their complaints dept.

Batteries seem to be of random quality these days, but you need to think about whether you have allowed it to totally discharge in sub-zero conditions over the winter. 

I think one of the issues with BMW alarms is that they are quite a high constant drain on the battery and ideally - you would either have a standard charger on a timer, or plug in a battery-tender (Optimate or BMW's own).

If you are feeling particularly flush - get yourself a decent Li battery,  Li Tender charger - and charge the new BMW gel battery, and keep it in the utility room at home.

• Offline Darty65   england

• XR Member  ‐    84
    • Topic Author

Offline Darty65

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: S1000XR TE (K69)
    Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 09:49:39 pm
    April 11, 2021, 09:49:39 pm
    Thanks for your thoughts guys. The battery is by Exide and it was the diagnostic tech who told me that he’d responded to a number of failures.

Yes my bike does have an alarm and tracker, but it is used regularly. I live in a flat so don’t have access to an electrical supply to plug a battery conditioner into. I’ve had it since Sept and even throughout lockdown there was no issue. In fact, the bike was used last weekend for two good runs but still failed this week.

So, I’m none the wiser but will be speaking to the dealer tomorrow after the bike arrives there.

• Offline Winger   gb

• XR God  ‐    3522

Offline Winger

• XR God
    • Town: Birmingham
    Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 10:15:08 pm
    April 11, 2021, 10:15:08 pm
    This where things get complicated...demanding you legal right blah blah, warranty blah blah or a practical solution i’d Be running two batteries, how you acquire a second....but jeez i’ll Be having nightmares tonight about the thought of leaving my pride and joy in a lock up, but hey ho needs must  :003:

• Online wessie   gb

• XR Master  ‐    617

Online wessie

• XR Master
    • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
    • Town: Cheltenham
    Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 10:31:03 pm
    April 11, 2021, 10:31:03 pm
    I agree with Winger, get a 2nd battery and keep it indoors fully charged. Swap the batteries once a week or however you need to. Simple job on an XR.

Your problem will be the parasitic load. You do not say how far you went on recent trips but you will need to go quite some distance to replace the charge used to start the bike and that used by the alarm & tracker.

Do you have any other electrical accessories? Last week we had a chap with 2 halogen spotlamps each using 55 watts. He was using the entire output of his alternator just to run the bike with no spare capacity to charge the battery.

• Offline PaulS1000XR   gb

• XR God  ‐    1202

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR God
    • My 4th XR - guess I like them.
    • Bike: S1000XR 2021 TE
    • Town: Worcester, UK
    Reply #8 on: April 12, 2021, 08:54:56 am
    April 12, 2021, 08:54:56 am
    The dealer will recharge and load test the battery and if found to be weak you will get a new one, alternatively, it may not be charging. Am sure BMW will sort it out
    PSH

• Offline millview   gb

• XR Member  ‐    71

Offline millview

• XR Member
    • Bike: 2020 S1000XR TE
    Reply #9 on: April 12, 2021, 11:50:13 am
    April 12, 2021, 11:50:13 am
    My battery went flat in about two weeks in the period before the before the first service. I recharged and it started fine, but was replaced without any questions at the first service.  Since then I have been using an optimate connected through the socket next to the clutch lever and all has been well.  I think the SOS tracker takes some current?
    BMW S1000XR TE

dysfunctional