Author Bar Risers for 2021  (Read 5969 times)

• Offline wood   us

• XR Member  ‐    35
    • Topic Author

Offline wood

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: BMW S1000XR
    • Town: Atlanta
    Bar Risers for 2021
    on: April 16, 2021, 12:40:26 am
    April 16, 2021, 12:40:26 am
    Just got the 2021 in and took it for a ride to start on the break-in mileage.

Noticed some neck strain, and the next morning, both shoulders were sore.  Need to investigate getting handlebar risers/setbacks.  Any suggestions or experiences?

Thanks!

• Offline JerryG   us

• XR Pro  ‐    240

Offline JerryG

• XR Pro
    • Bike: 2021 S1000XR
    • Town: Hendersonville
    Re: Bar Risers for 2021
    Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 07:42:14 am
    April 16, 2021, 07:42:14 am
    I have a 2021 with 5400 miles on it since October. For me, the handlebar/seat ergonomics are causing me to sit too far forward on the seat and my arms are almost straight vice a comfortable bend. Another 2020 XR owner recommended Rox risers to me on another site, he said, "I've got the 50mm (2 inch) ROX Risers. The Dealer who recommended them routinely slides the fork tubes down to reposition the cabling, otherwise no other problems." Based on this, and because they provide additional flexibility by pivoting in the original clamps, I'm having them put on the bike tomorrow. I'll follow up here afterward.

Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 07:49:54 am by JerryG

• Offline wood   us

• XR Member  ‐    35
    • Topic Author

Offline wood

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 03:49:13 pm
    April 16, 2021, 03:49:13 pm
    Thank you. 

I was wondering about the cables.    I appreciate the information.  I look forward to hearing your results.

• Offline XRNewey   gb

• XR Member  ‐    38

Offline XRNewey

• XR Member
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Town: Forest of Dean
    Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 05:55:01 pm
    April 16, 2021, 05:55:01 pm
    Not seen these Rox risers, so thanks for posting. They look as though they raise them up but also back (towards the rider) too? I have the Wunderlich ones that only raise them up. I could be tempted if they do!  :169:

• Offline JerryG   us

• XR Pro  ‐    240

Offline JerryG

• XR Pro
    Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 06:13:27 pm
    April 16, 2021, 06:13:27 pm
    With the Rox's ability to pivot at the original handlebar mount, you can trade riser height for setback distance or visa versa. They are the most flexible I've found in that regard. They have other heights too. They also make a vibration damping version that I might upgrade to if I decide I like them, but would like to dampen the vibs some more.

I also considered a Helibar setup that was marketed for the Gen 1 (pic below). I asked Helibar and they said they didn't know any reason they wouldn't fit Gen 2. New SXR Helibars are now unobtainium except for one new set I found in Australia (http://www.mickhone.com.au/part/helibars/HSS05121) and one used I found set in the Netherlands. Decided to pass on because of price, shipping, and not being sure I'd like the resulting look (mostly this last one). Note the one in this pic are improperly installed, the groves you see on the inside of each bar should be aligned with the empty mounting bolt holes.

Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 06:15:17 pm by JerryG

• Offline wood   us

• XR Member  ‐    35
    • Topic Author

Offline wood

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 11:06:15 pm
    April 16, 2021, 11:06:15 pm
    Thanks for the information and the great photo.  Talked to my dealer and they have not mounted any ROK due to length of cable issues.  Need to find mechanics that are familiar with moving the triple-tree.

• Offline SimonUK   us

• XR Master  ‐    931

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
    • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
    • Town: Upstate, SC
    Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 11:12:47 pm
    April 16, 2021, 11:12:47 pm
    I have Rox Risers on my 16, mounted with narrower/shallower bars. I think with the OEM bars you will have issues with cable lengths(I know I am talking a 2016 here). Noteworthy however is that much of the Rox 'adjustability' is some what unuseable because at least one set of bolts is pretty much inaccessible, now that does not mean they are not adjustable, just not 'fully'.

• Offline wood   us

• XR Member  ‐    35
    • Topic Author

Offline wood

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: April 17, 2021, 04:23:00 pm
    April 17, 2021, 04:23:00 pm
    Rox risers were my first thought and first choice.  You are right - the cables are not long enough for standard bars - and I bought the bike because I liked the standard, wider bars = more counter steering.

Second longer ride on the bike after rotating existing bars back just a smidge = OK.  So may be able to adjust even more and get comfortable.

Big issue I found was peg to seat or leg room.  Didn't feel it during the test ride, but on a longer ride and especially after riding on the balls of my feet I experienced muscle and hip problems.   Getting old sucks.  Now I am going to go down the path of either a higher more comfortable seat; and or possibly lowering the pegs a touch.

Experimenting is fun.

• Offline JerryG   us

• XR Pro  ‐    240

Offline JerryG

• XR Pro
    Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 01:24:35 am
    April 18, 2021, 01:24:35 am
    Good news: My Rox risers (2") are now installed on my 2021 XR. I tested it for about 100 miles including tight parking lot maneuvers and lots of Western North Carolina mountain twisties. I like the resulting body position. With my arms slightly bent, my posterior now sits on the widest part of the seat barely touching the vertical step between the rider's seat and the passenger's seat. I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam and 32.5" dress shirt sleeve length. All the rerouted controls and wiring have slack when fully turned from side to side except...

Bad news: The brake line goes taught against the upper triple clamp just as you reach full lock when steering to go left. You can go to full lock, but you can see the rubber tube that covers the braided brake line come into contact with and deform slightly against the upper triple clamp. With a LOT of full lock turns to the left, I would expect that rubber tube to wear through and then you'll have metal triple clamp against braided brake line. Of more concern is the possibility that, while still hidden inside the rubber tube, the slight flexing of the braided brake line might cause it to fail at the worst possible time - when maximum pressure is being applied through that line. While this is unlikely, it's not something I'd want to always be worried about.

Extension Considered and Rejected: The dealer had an extension with a 45 degree fitting that would connect to the brake reservoir and a straight fitting that would connect the existing 90 degree fitting on the current brake line. This works, but the 90 degree fitting means the resulting brake line has a 90 degree angle in it - 45 degree fitting to braided brake line to straight fitting to 90 degree fitting to braided brake line. This is one UGLY brake line. Also, because it doesn't lay flat, it hits the TFT when turning, though that could be remedied with cable ties. I rejected that; I won't do UGLY on a 2021 XR.

Custom Brake Line: The dealer said we could have Spiegler make a custom brake line from the pressure modulator (?) to the brake reservoir, but we'd need to know the current brake line's length and BMW doesn't give that info. We'd have to disassemble the bike to the point where we could measure it or find someone who's already done that. That's were we left it before I took the bike on the test ride and brought it home. As I examined it at home, I noticed something we missed at the dealer - the brake line isn't a braided brake line all the way to the pressure modulator - it starts as braided and then, just where it goes under the gas tank, it connects to a solid metal tube. That was a Eureka moment. Once I saw that, I remembered a similar problem four years ago when I had 4" elevated ABM MultiClip handlebars put on my '17 RR (which I still have). That work was done at my previous dealership by a BMW tech who was also a certified master machinist. I remember how stoked he was when he showed me that my particular job caused him to buy some new tools - the tools necessary to make solid metal tube brake lines and connect them to flexible brake line components. Just what my 2021 XR needs now. So, the next step is to call that dealer on Tuesday and see if that tech is still there and can do the work. I won't mind the seven hour one-way ride if it solves this problem. I'll post again after I call them. In the meantime, if anyone has alternative suggestions, please chime in.

P.S. In theory, because all of the above is predicated on using 2" Rox risers, smaller risers might work without any mods.

Pics follow...

Side view...

Front wheel more or less facing straight ahead... (the two shiny cylinders and the black base above it are my phone mount)

Just before fully turned to the left...

Close up when fully turned to the left...

Transition from braided to solid metal tube...

• Offline wood   us

• XR Member  ‐    35
    • Topic Author

Offline wood

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #9 on: April 18, 2021, 12:46:14 pm
    April 18, 2021, 12:46:14 pm
    Wow!  Detailed information and a detailed process. I hope it works out.

Unfortunately, my BMW mechanics will not customize parts - it is stock or OEM only.

One forum member mentioned dropping the triple tree down on the shocks to gain length in lines - have you heard that or thought about going down that path?

dysfunctional