Author Insurance Company | Legal Hints + Tips  (Read 1306 times)

• Offline jakebake   gb

• XR Pro  ‐    135
    • Topic Author

Offline jakebake

• XR Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: s1000xr
    • Town: warwick
    Insurance Company | Legal Hints + Tips
    on: April 17, 2021, 07:06:46 pm
    April 17, 2021, 07:06:46 pm
    very good vlog from the 44 teeth channel and be sure to watch the ending article about cancelling policies.

&t=32s

Can i few of you post with your good and bad experiences with insurance companies a mine is due for renewal soon and i wont be going for the cheapest

• Online Mareng1   gb

• XR God  ‐    1602

Online Mareng1

• XR God
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Town: Cumbria
    Re: Insurance Company | Legal Hints + Tips
    Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 07:18:38 pm
    April 17, 2021, 07:18:38 pm
    In detail- 

Read the Terms and conditions of the policy.
    If there are restrictions - Consider them in respect of the policy cost, and decide if you are comfortable with those
    Check if there are foreign travel benefits wrt breakdown insurance
    Check out several brokers - find the right one that has insurers they deal with, that suit your situation.  Many insurers will ‘play safe’ and target the ‘Saga’ or ‘Sheila’s wheels’ market and be uncompetitive/unable to cover your needs.

There is NO universal recommendation for brokers - there cannot be.   Don’t be swayed by sh#t like “By bikers - for bikers” - that is pure marketing crap. (Like - buy a Gixxer from Crescent Suzuki, cos they are race blokes)

Bottom line - spend half a day phoning around, and spend the rest of the day examining policy documents - then - - - -make up your mind

:431:
    Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 07:19:09 pm by Mareng1

• Online wessie   gb

• XR Master  ‐    636

Online wessie

• XR Master
    • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
    • Town: Cheltenham
    Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 08:28:11 pm
    April 17, 2021, 08:28:11 pm
    Comparison sites can be very helpful to get a short list. Beware very cheap prices as the policy offered might have very high excesses and might not offer pillion cover or third party cover to ride a mate's bike. Check the "out of garage at home" clause very carefully. Some are worded very harshly.

Read this, it mostly applies to bikes as well https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance/ - especially follow the advice about not leaving insurance to the last week. You will pay extra compared to applying 3 or 4 weeks early.

Personally, I don't really care who sells the policy, I look to see who underwrites it. If the broker turns out to be rubbish you can always go direct to the actual insurer in the event of a claim.

I have 2 bikes. I have looked at a multi-bike policy but for me, two separate policies on full NCB works out cheaper. One policy is from Devitt, the other from C Nash Select. One is underwritten by Axa, the other Aviva.

I looked for prices via the Moneysupermarket website then had a look to see if the same broker was offering a cashback at Quidco or Topcashback. This brought my premiums down a bit more and I have had the cashback into my bank. I'll be repeating the process next month as my policies are due on separate dates in June.

I have a car, 2 bikes and a house to insure, so I have become quite good at playing this game. Fortunately no claims since 2005 on the house policy after a water leak. That involved binning the useless broker and going direct to the excellent underwriter. Groupama in that case, who used to own Carole Nash when they were a half decent broker. I believe they are not so good under the latest owner.

Prices paid: R1200RS £110 with Devitt/Aviva; XR £88 with CN/Axa. RS is higher due to more miles per year as it would normally be used for commuting. Prices include the cashback: £21 from https://www.quidco.com/compare/motorbike-insurance/ for the Devitt policy and £26.50 from https://www.topcashback.co.uk/category/bike-insurance/ for the CN policy

• Offline Winger   gb

• XR God  ‐    3579

Offline Winger

• XR God
    • Town: Birmingham
    Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 09:10:45 pm
    April 17, 2021, 09:10:45 pm
    Anyone hoping for any logic with insurance...the best of luck, I/we run a van 2 cars and 7 bikes...I could write a book, the first 4 bikes where all on one policy, bike number 5 is the X/R they want it on a separate policy, bike number 6 is a KTMGT and I can put that on the policy with all the other bikes so long as I have an old Classic Brit bike...so I buy a BSA bantam and their happy....

dysfunctional