Author New XR Rider in Illinois  (Read 916 times)

• Offline kestr   us

• XR Junior  ‐    2
    • Topic Author

Offline kestr

• XR Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2021 S1000XR
    New XR Rider in Illinois
    on: April 20, 2021, 02:18:31 am
    April 20, 2021, 02:18:31 am
    Switching from a Triumph Street Triple R that I bought new in Northern California in 2011 and spent the last few years riding in Germany's Pfalzwald.  25K miles later I'm stuck in the flatlands of Illinois for the next three years before heading to Austria.  Figured I needed something more comfortable crossing St Louis into the Mark Twain National Forest.  Picked up the White/Red/Blue 2021 XR lowered last weekend.  Swapping the Sport Windscreen for the Puig Touring and working on a solution for the terrible Low Height Seat.  The edge of the seat pan in digging into my inner thighs.  I've got a Comfort Seat on order, but might just end up using an Airhawk if its too high.  Looking forward to the summer and getting some miles under my belt.  Appreciate all the experience, advice, and good humor found in these forums.

• Offline Colin   gb

• XR Pro  ‐    190

Offline Colin

• XR Pro
    • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
    • Town: Peterborough
    Re: New XR Rider in Illinois
    Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 06:34:42 am
    April 20, 2021, 06:34:42 am
     :400: went on a trip to Germany on a mates Street Triple and came back with a sore neck cruising 80 - 90mph on the autobahns, then got the XR, chalk and cheese springs to mind  :007:

• Offline Becksy   gb

• XR Master  ‐    505

Offline Becksy

• XR Master
    • Town: Warwickshire
    Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 11:14:17 am
    April 20, 2021, 11:14:17 am
    Welcome to the forum, I swear by my Airhawk.

• Offline kestr   us

• XR Junior  ‐    2
    • Topic Author

Offline kestr

• XR Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2021 S1000XR
    Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 08:10:34 pm
    April 20, 2021, 08:10:34 pm
    *Originally Posted by Colin [+]
    :400: went on a trip to Germany on a mates Street Triple and came back with a sore neck cruising 80 - 90mph on the autobahns, then got the XR, chalk and cheese springs to mind  :007:

Had to Google "Chalk and Cheese."  That's a new one for the Yankee!  Do they not have "Apples and Oranges" in the UK?

They are indeed very different bikes.  In Germany I was 5min from some of the most wonderful forest riding, but any time on the autobahn would wear me down.  It even worse out here in Illinois where the roads are crumbling as well.  The STR was a compromise coming off of CBR 600s, but nothing was more shocking than jumping back on the STR after riding the XR the other day.  The STR feels squeezed and tiny comparably.  Really surprised myself by getting nearly the same lean out of the XR as I did out of the STR.  There's only a few twisties around my neighborhood, but the XR handles them exceptionally well!

BTW, it was a rented 1200GS on the Ring of Kerry that convinced me I might be doing it wrong.  I'll have to see what Alps have to say about all this in a few years.

• Offline Colin   gb

• XR Pro  ‐    190

Offline Colin

• XR Pro
    • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
    • Town: Peterborough
    Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 08:29:18 pm
    April 20, 2021, 08:29:18 pm
    My friend who’s got the Street Triple also has 2 Multistrada’s, each to their own but I would never find the enthusiasm to wheel the ST out  :033:, as coincidence would have it I’ve got Ring of Kerry booked first week in June but it’s very uncertain now as Southern Ireland is a bit behind us with the lockdown stages so also got Yorkshire booked as a back up  :821:

dysfunctional