Offline Diavel

• XR Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Town: Vientiane
    Revs limited?
    on: April 20, 2021, 03:09:40 pm
    April 20, 2021, 03:09:40 pm
    Hi.I have a 2015 K49 with low mileage. I am a Brit but live in a country in Asia with no BMW Motorrad dealer (Laos) and the border has been closed for a year now. So if I have a problem then I need to solve it myself. The problem is this. The bike , when in neutral, will not go above 3200 revs. If I put it into gear say 3/4 it will go up to 6000 ish.This has all been done on the centre stand as the bike cannot be used on the road at present. It seems like the revs are limited or there is some form of hesitation.The rev limiter is set at 10,500 so should not be a problem (I assume?) .I understand that it might be a problem with possibly the Throttle Body sensor or the camshaft sensor? If it is one of these ..does it mean a new part is required or can they be cleaned? Any thoughts, help, suggestions much appreciated.My technical ability is average and normally I would just take the bike to a BMW dealership .Many thanks . Simon

• Offline SimonUK   us

• XR Master  ‐    931

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
    • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
    • Town: Upstate, SC
    Re: Revs limited?
    Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 06:06:20 pm
    April 20, 2021, 06:06:20 pm
    unfortunately for you this sounds like a visit to the dealer is required. do you know what the service history is? has it had it's run-in service and the 9k rev limit removed(not a setting in the display, but configured by the tech connected to the computer). I am assuming when you are saying the rev limit is set top 10.5k that you are actually only referring to the warning light flashing at 10.5k, it should easily rev up to around 12k.

• Online Winger   gb

• XR God  ‐    3522

Online Winger

• XR God
    • Town: Birmingham
    Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 06:19:28 pm
    April 20, 2021, 06:19:28 pm
    No access to a dealer next option has to be a GS-911

• Online Mareng1   gb

• XR God  ‐    1500

Online Mareng1

• XR God
    • Town: Cumbria
    Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 07:00:11 pm
    April 20, 2021, 07:00:11 pm
    What have you done to the bike - prior to this fault?

• Offline Diavel   la

• XR Pro  ‐    173
    • Topic Author

Offline Diavel

• XR Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 07:12:30 pm
    April 20, 2021, 07:12:30 pm
    I have done nothing to the bike. It has only covered 6000 kms or less than 4000 miles.It was supplied new by BMW in Thailand and they have service history but they won't share it with me.I note the comments about the first service and the limiter being removed.I assume that this would have been done but I dont really know.The rev limiter that I mentioned was the one that we can change in the menu.The nearest dealer is across the border in Thailand about 1.5 hours away which would not be a drama if the border was open but it has been closed for a year now because of pandemic restrictions.Thus I am trying to work this out myself and perhaps buy a software programme to assist.A friend who owns a BMW Motorrad dealership in Europe suggested it might be the Throttle body sensor or the camshaft sensor.But I dont know frankly.I will take any good advice here (thank you) and order up the software etc.Will this software be able to check if the initial service limiter was removed?Apologies for the long post but with the time difference I am trying to catch experts while I can .Many thanks. Simon

• Offline smithy   au

• XR God  ‐    2206

Offline smithy

• XR God
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 08:47:38 pm
    April 20, 2021, 08:47:38 pm
    *Originally Posted by Diavel [+]
    Hi.I have a 2015 K49 with low mileage. I am a Brit but live in a country in Asia with no BMW Motorrad dealer (Laos) and the border has been closed for a year now. So if I have a problem then I need to solve it myself. The problem is this. The bike , when in neutral, will not go above 3200 revs. If I put it into gear say 3/4 it will go up to 6000 ish.This has all been done on the centre stand as the bike cannot be used on the road at present. It seems like the revs are limited or there is some form of hesitation.The rev limiter is set at 10,500 so should not be a problem (I assume?) .I understand that it might be a problem with possibly the Throttle Body sensor or the camshaft sensor? If it is one of these ..does it mean a new part is required or can they be cleaned? Any thoughts, help, suggestions much appreciated.My technical ability is average and normally I would just take the bike to a BMW dealership .Many thanks . Simon

If all this is done with the bike on center stand, it's probably ok....the system will see the front wheel is not turning and will flag up an ABS/DTC fault and limit rpm. Is your fault light on or are there any fault codes..?? You don't necessarily need to have a fault light on to have a fault code logged. Turn off the ABS/DTC and try again.

Your rev limiter is either 9,000rpm, (run-in limiter), or 12,000 rpm. What you have set at 10,500rpm is the shift light, not the rev limiter, the actual ECU RPM limiter is not accessible by the bike's menus. The bike needs to be ridden on the road and plugged into a GS-911 or BMW diagnostic to properly diagnose if there is indeed an issue.

Smithy.
    Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 08:50:25 pm by smithy
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

• Offline Diavel   la

• XR Pro  ‐    173
    • Topic Author

Offline Diavel

• XR Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 12:36:28 am
    April 21, 2021, 12:36:28 am
    Thanks Smithy-very helpful. I will try and find a place to take it for a run today.There are no fault codes showing or there weren't yesterday! I have ordered a  GS-911 which a number of people recommended which I think will be useful long term especially with no dealer ,currently, available.

• Offline Diavel   la

• XR Pro  ‐    173
    • Topic Author

Offline Diavel

• XR Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 03:08:06 am
    April 21, 2021, 03:08:06 am
    Smithy....I took it for a quick run this morning and your diagnosis was right :0) thank you . The bike ,when off the centre stand, moving went through the gears ok and the revs went past 9000 up to my set limit of 10,500 when the white light came on.So it all seems fine...phew. I did notice that when I stopped, on the street and not on the stand,  the bike was in neutral that if I tried to rev it ..it was limited again to circa 3200 but I assume that is the issue that you pointed out?Thanks to everyone for your help with this.
    Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 03:08:44 am by Diavel

• Offline smithy   au

• XR God  ‐    2206

Offline smithy

• XR God
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 08:49:28 pm
    April 21, 2021, 08:49:28 pm
    *Originally Posted by Diavel [+]
    Smithy....I took it for a quick run this morning and your diagnosis was right :0) thank you . The bike ,when off the centre stand, moving went through the gears ok and the revs went past 9000 up to my set limit of 10,500 when the white light came on.So it all seems fine...phew. I did notice that when I stopped, on the street and not on the stand,  the bike was in neutral that if I tried to rev it ..it was limited again to circa 3200 but I assume that is the issue that you pointed out?Thanks to everyone for your help with this.

Excellent...thanks for the update. The 3200rpm thing you speak about and similar are just safety items to help stop people killing themselves or destroying their engine.

Again, your 10,500 rpm set limit is for the "shift light only", (it is "not" a rev limiter)....it will happily keep going through to ~12,000-12,250rpm without issue if you so choose....this is where the hard limiter is factory set within the ECU. Things like Brentune/RBE etc can be adjusted to lift these rpm limiters if you so wish.....but with the maximum power of the XR at ~11,000rpm, there's no real use for it on the road IMHO unless you do a lot of track days or like to play on the drag strip etc...Our friends Cuban Rider, Steven Snowball etc are a good examples of someone who can put this to good use. People like myself with fairly modest riding ability would get very little use out of it.  :034: :006:

Smithy.
    Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 08:52:25 pm by smithy
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

• Offline Diavel   la

• XR Pro  ‐    173
    • Topic Author

Offline Diavel

• XR Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #9 on: April 22, 2021, 02:08:04 am
    April 22, 2021, 02:08:04 am
    Smithy..I won't have much use for the higher rev band. I am not Mick Doohan and the only time I get my knee down is to check the tyre pressure :001:

dysfunctional