Author Independent service for XR  (Read 2751 times)

• Offline scalvini07   gb

• XR Member  ‐    19
    • Topic Author

Offline scalvini07

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Town: Kettering
    Independent service for XR
    on: April 21, 2021, 04:41:47 pm
    April 21, 2021, 04:41:47 pm
    Hi,
    Been on the forum since i have owned my 2018 XR triple black, not posted much, but like to read the other items, sorry.

Just wondering what the thoughts are in relation to servicing, my bike's warranty has expired and was wondering if anybody could recommend anybody in the Northamptonshire or surrounding areas, that will do a service on my bike or should i just keep taking it to the main BMW dealers. Serviced last year at dealers, oil and filter change, £204, not ridden much due to Covid, but hopefully we can get out more this year.

Thanks

• Offline smithy   au

• XR God  ‐    2216

Offline smithy

• XR God
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    Re: Independent service for XR
    Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 09:08:11 pm
    April 21, 2021, 09:08:11 pm
    *Originally Posted by scalvini07 [+]

oil and filter change, £204, not ridden much due to Covid, but hopefully we can get out more this year. Thanks

If they're charging that much just to do a simple oil and filter change, they've seen you coming, bent you over and have your pants down round your ankles. I'd definitely be doing it myself. Takes 1/2 hour and this includes sitting down with a nice cup of tea and a couple of biscuits whilst you wait for the oil to drain.

Myself and a few others do all our own servicing, including the big 30k km/18k mile services with valve clearance check...it basically comes down to not trusting anyone and/or enjoying working on our own bikes, I find it quite theraputic. :033:

I also appreciate some people don't have the inclination, room, tools or facilities to do this at home and taking your bike to a dealer or garage etc is fine. I just cringe at the money some of these places charge to do the simplest of things.

Smithy.
    Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 12:38:45 am by smithy
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

• Offline scalvini07   gb

• XR Member  ‐    19
    • Topic Author

Offline scalvini07

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Town: Kettering
    Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 09:39:15 pm
    April 21, 2021, 09:39:15 pm
    Cheers Smithy,

Yes very expensive here in England if you go through the BMW dealer network, no idea what the labour costs are in Australia. I can do the basics, oil, filter, air filter, plugs etc, but just put it out there as i have googled my local area and was just wondering if anybody could recommend an independent garage to do my servicing. 

Thanks.

• Offline Colin   gb

• XR Pro  ‐    190

Offline Colin

• XR Pro
    • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
    • Town: Peterborough
    Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 10:21:33 pm
    April 21, 2021, 10:21:33 pm
    *Originally Posted by smithy [+]
    If they're charging that much just to do a simple oil and filter change, they've seen you coming, bent you over and have your pants down round your ankles. I'd definitely be doing it myself. Takes 1/2 hour and this includes sitting down with a nice cup of tea and a couple of biscuits whilst you wait for the oil to drain.

Myself and a few others do all our own servicing, including the big 30k km and 18k mile services...it basically comes down to not trusting anyone and/or enjoying working on our own bikes, I find it quite theraputic. :033:

I also appreciate some people don't have the inclination, room, tools or facilities to do this at home and taking your bike to a dealer or garage etc is fine. I just cringe at the money some of these places charge to do the simplest of things.

Smithy.

Here, here, I’ve just decided to do the same thing and my bikes still within the 2 year warranty from new, just bought the GS 911 for that reason but do appreciate you do need a good mechanical/engineering background so not for everyone.

• Offline Antares   gb

• XR God  ‐    1087

Offline Antares

• XR God
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 10:32:54 pm
    April 21, 2021, 10:32:54 pm
    *Originally Posted by smithy [+]

Myself and a few others do all our own servicing, including the big 30k km and 18k mile services...it basically comes down to not trusting anyone and/or enjoying working on our own bikes, I find it quite theraputic. :033:

Smithy.

Guildford Vines charges that much but that also included 6k service, air filter, brake fluid change front and rear and a """""full health check"""""

• Offline smithy   au

• XR God  ‐    2216

Offline smithy

• XR God
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 12:26:17 am
    April 22, 2021, 12:26:17 am
    *Originally Posted by scalvini07 [+]
    Cheers Smithy,

no idea what the labour costs are in Australia. Thanks.

Me either, never used a garage or dealer to do anything mechanical on my bikes....or cars for that matter. I guess I have a small advantage as I'm an aircraft engineer by trade, I build highly strung helicopter turbine engines for a living so playing with motorcycle gubbins is a relative doddle ....helps a bit methinks.

Smithy.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

• Offline Becksy   gb

• XR Master  ‐    501

Offline Becksy

• XR Master
    • Bike: S1000XR (2016)
    • Town: Warwickshire
    Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 08:58:13 am
    April 22, 2021, 08:58:13 am
    I prefer going to a main dealer for the peace of mind. If you go to say Cotswold BMW, nice ride across the Cotswolds to get there, drop the bike off, look at the bikes, take another one out for a test ride, come back, load up on free pastries and tea, look at the BMWs and Minis etc. Bike gets a thorough check over as well and I know they'll do a much better job than I would!

• Offline Winger   gb

• XR God  ‐    3522

Offline Winger

• XR God
    • Town: Birmingham
    Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 03:59:29 pm
    April 22, 2021, 03:59:29 pm
    *Originally Posted by Antares [+]
    Guildford Vines charges that much but that also included 6k service, air filter, brake fluid change front and rear and a """""full health check"""""

My only complaint about Vines is their not close enough...my X/R actually came from them, and they have done some serious work on my K1200, they used to run the press fleet for BM until they got off their backsides and did it themselves, but always found the Vines lot were well clued up...at a price that is.

• Offline Winger   gb

• XR God  ‐    3522

Offline Winger

• XR God
    • Town: Birmingham
    Reply #8 on: April 22, 2021, 04:02:43 pm
    April 22, 2021, 04:02:43 pm
    The reason there is a shortage of independents...the UK refuse to supply the trade, unless their paying full retail, there used to be a guy just north of Oxford and I can’t find him so assume he’s Packed up and with a current blip with my K1200 the thought of a franchises dealer  :012:

• Offline Antares   gb

• XR God  ‐    1087

Offline Antares

• XR God
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    Reply #9 on: April 22, 2021, 04:06:13 pm
    April 22, 2021, 04:06:13 pm
    *Originally Posted by Winger [+]
    My only complaint about Vines is their not close enough...my X/R actually came from them, and they have done some serious work on my K1200, they used to run the press fleet for BM until they got off their backsides and did it themselves, but always found the Vines lot were well clued up...at a price that is.

I generally do all my maintenance myself too, I've a back ground in automotive engineering and worked as a mechanic for a while too, I was surprised when I was checking receipts of the service history as the price was surprisingly reasonable for a BMW main dealer. they quoted 500 for the 18k service too which is not too bad, considering its a 4 cyl European bike, not japanese cheap but quite frankly I was ready to hear close to a grand. I might do the small bits myself and let them do the valve clearances as I can't really be arsed to take the bike apart that much. Though depending on how much they ask for the clearances I'll probably end up doing that myself too, bike has been out of warranty for a long time.