Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Independent service for XR  (Read 982 times)

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: Independent service for XR
Reply #10 on: April 22, 2021, 04:56:11 PM
My wonderful experiences of Vines did not include a great deal of financial expenditure...as in days gone by I was connected well enough to drop my bike off with many others and it got fixed because over the years BM have dropped some mighty mechanical clangers, and how I acquired my X/R most certainly isn’t for these pages...but always had a soft spot for Vines.

Back too the OP...as I have a terminal problem with my K1200 which involves a great deal of home work among others things...google independent BMW dealers their are a few just depends on if their close enough for your convenience.

Offline scalvini07

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Kettering
Reply #11 on: April 23, 2021, 09:08:05 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys i do appreciate it.
Used to be an independent guy in Northants who looked after my K100RS but he is long finished and retired. The Boxerman in Leicestershire has also just recently finished but he mostly dealt with the boxer twins.
Unfortunately for me, i do not have a mechanical or engineering background, so think i will just have to pay the extortionate high prices main dealers charge.
But thanks anyway, all the best and stay safe everyone.

Offline XRRICH

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000 XR SE Spor
  • Town: UK
Reply #12 on: April 26, 2021, 07:56:33 PM
Hey,

As a fellow Northamptonshire rider with a 2018 XR too I feel your pain, I’ve just been quoted £294 to do service on my bike from main dealer, I asked about chain and sprockets and was told circa £390 I nearly fell off my chair :(

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: England
Reply #13 on: April 28, 2021, 01:03:55 PM
I used Motoscot for the 36,000 mile service.  The price was £650-ish as I recall.  They were ok, but managed to "nick" the o-ring on the fuel line so it leaked.

I have used A1 BMW for intermediate serving, they have done a good job. Not much cheaper than a dealer though.

Note that most independent establishments don't have the offical tools required to do the full BMW recommended fork strip down at the 18,000 mile service, so they just pump the oil out and replace it.

dysfunctional