Author Remapping ECU 2018 Euro 4  (Read 5039 times)

• Offline Quent   england

• XR Member  ‐    58
    • Topic Author

Offline Quent

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    • The older I get the faster I was!
    • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
    • Town: Peterborough
    Remapping ECU 2018 Euro 4
    on: April 25, 2021, 08:57:16 pm
    April 25, 2021, 08:57:16 pm
    Hi all, I know there is loads of info on remapping here in various ways and i have pretty much read most of them with interest and learnt an enormous amount. Having taken into account all of the useful info here this is my plan. BSD Peterborough can now remap directly to the ecu and my bike is booked in on the 12th May! Having had a long chat, with Mark at BSD, I am decatting the standard exhaust system in the vain hope it doesn't become too noisy! I ride a lot and long rides on noisy bikes becomes tiresome for me. I am removing the secondary air system and fitting a K&N filter. Mark says the rest of the TUV interference can be dealt with through the ECU. I will update once I have got the bike back and tried it out. If there is anything else I should consider before it gets to BSD, I would be grateful for any input.
    What could possibly go wrong!!

• Online Winger   gb

• XR God  ‐    3522

Online Winger

• XR God
    • Town: Birmingham
    Re: Remapping ECU 2018 Euro 4
    Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 07:41:11 am
    April 26, 2021, 07:41:11 am
    After market fuelling is as susceptible to fashion as anything else in this life...10 years ago piggyback fuelling was considered old hat and the latest fashion (then) was an ECU re-flash so instead of a Power Commander had a Rexxer map blown into my K1200 and has been in ever since, i’m In a slightly different position with multiple bikes with PC’s fitted so have a direct comparison.

Long story short, Rexxer map is the easier option to put into the bike, but personally I prefer a PC it’s a different feel, but that is just my preference, while out on my K recently(gearbox has just gone bang) had thoughts about fitting a PC but if you do not have a comparison what you don’t know about won’t harm you...

But frankly if you are going to do a job...do a proper one and fit Akra headers, i’ve Got a decent collections of bikes that have been acquired over the years including a KTMGT that has been the same route as the 1000 Beemer and in my opinion my non ESA X/R is the better bike, although it does have more trinkets than just a PC and headers.

• Offline bazzer   gb

• XR God  ‐    1146

Offline bazzer

• XR God
    • Town: Waterlooville
    Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 07:52:34 am
    April 26, 2021, 07:52:34 am
    I would go for a flash every day of the week over a Power Commander, you can do so much more. Occasionally on some ECU's a PC has more load sites and can give a slightly better result, but that is generally as well as a flash to put the icing on the cake.

I have a PC on my 765RS track bike and have had one on various other bikes in the past.

Flash on the Tuono and now the XR, you can do so much more with a flash as well as not having to do bodges like adding a dongle to the lambda sensor, you can turn it off if you want or even update the AF tables to more suitable ones. The only reason for a PC in this case is like when you did yours Winger the fact no one could flash it at the time.

Also PC introduces more wiring and I have seen loads of really bad installs that have caused problems. One advantage of PC is they are generally pretty quick to map compared to flash, especially if the ECU needs to be flashed in between runs on the dyno.

XR is back in one piece now, so will be able to report on how good the flash is, just need to get an MOT :)

Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 08:06:15 am by bazzer

• XR Member  ‐    58
    • Topic Author

Offline Quent

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 10:22:56 am
    April 26, 2021, 10:22:56 am
    Thanks for the views guys, I would go for headers but believe it or not I quite like the stock look of the exhaust and hope the cat removal will not make it too noisy. Looking in the box, it is pretty much straight through with a resonance chamber so won't be too restrictive hopefully. Not worried about more power just want much better low down fueling and cooler running. As you all say, how BMW originally designed it to be.

I also made up a jig so I could get the system back together exactly right. Bought a set off ebay so still have the stock headers to put back on if I am not happy with the end result. We shall see.

• Offline bazzer   gb

• XR God  ‐    1146

Offline bazzer

• XR God
    • Town: Waterlooville
    Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 10:55:22 am
    April 26, 2021, 10:55:22 am
    I have Akra headers with the standard can on and for me I would say the noise is marginal. I have a decatted system on my Tuono with an Arrow can and no baffle and that does not seem quite so loud.

I have not got many (almost none) miles with the akra headers so jury is out on noise. Its not from it annoying me point of view I am worried its a getting nicked point of view :)

• XR Member  ‐    58
    • Topic Author

Offline Quent

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 12:21:51 pm
    April 26, 2021, 12:21:51 pm
    We will see how it sounds. If it is loud, but the performance gains are such that I can't revert to the standard system, then I will probably bite the bullet and put a set headers on it. Does anybody have any experience with removing the acoustic insert at the front of the airbox? is it noisier? does it give performance gains? Thanks again for your collective input :001:

• Offline Antares   gb

• XR God  ‐    1073

Offline Antares

• XR God
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 01:26:28 pm
    April 26, 2021, 01:26:28 pm
    *Originally Posted by Quent [+]
    Thanks for the views guys, I would go for headers but believe it or not I quite like the stock look of the exhaust and hope the cat removal will not make it too noisy. Looking in the box, it is pretty much straight through with a resonance chamber so won't be too restrictive hopefully. Not worried about more power just want much better low down fueling and cooler running. As you all say, how BMW originally designed it to be.

I also made up a jig so I could get the system back together exactly right. Bought a set off ebay so still have the stock headers to put back on if I am not happy with the end result. We shall see.

Dude do you own a machine shop?? lol Quality brackets, straight up made a stand for the exhaust... You know, people on this forum would pay you for stuff like this haha, I know I would!

Anyway I've met a guy that has delkevic full system (decat) and it was not too loud. It was definitely louder but mainly just pronounced on hard acceleration and the pops and bangs. If you're worried about it sounding like those yobbos on their R1s at bike meets then don't worry, it's nowhere near as bad. (at least from a 3rd person view, i didn't ride that bike)

Also on the acoustics inserts, I believe it pronounces the induction noise and will net you a couple extra horsepower with a tune, but not on their own.
    Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 01:29:21 pm by Antares

• Online Winger   gb

• XR God  ‐    3522

Online Winger

• XR God
    Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 01:45:30 pm
    April 26, 2021, 01:45:30 pm
    *Originally Posted by bazzer [+]
    I would go for a flash every day of the week over a Power Commander, you can do so much more. Occasionally on some ECU's a PC has more load sites and can give a slightly better result, but that is generally as well as a flash to put the icing on the cake.

I have a PC on my 765RS track bike and have had one on various other bikes in the past.

Flash on the Tuono and now the XR, you can do so much more with a flash as well as not having to do bodges like adding a dongle to the lambda sensor, you can turn it off if you want or even update the AF tables to more suitable ones. The only reason for a PC in this case is like when you did yours Winger the fact no one could flash it at the time.

Also PC introduces more wiring and I have seen loads of really bad installs that have caused problems. One advantage of PC is they are generally pretty quick to map compared to flash, especially if the ECU needs to be flashed in between runs on the dyno.

XR is back in one piece now, so will be able to report on how good the flash is, just need to get an MOT :)

Let’s say we’ll have to agree to disagree then  :001:, there isn’t a snowballs chance in Hell of me having anything flashed again it’s just a feel I don’t like, the Rexxer map has run like a good’un, just prefer the feel of a PC and with currently 4 bikes with such all fitted by me not the slightest of problems and good people to talk to on the phone here in the UK if you have any queries....ie they’ll put a generic map in to get you going before a custom map on a dyno for what ever set up you have.

Re horse power don’t even think about...as I has quoted to me...I can set my dyno up so your bike is making 750hp if it keeps you happy said by a well known tuner who is also a mate, what you are after is great fuelling where the bloody TUV have had their sticky fingers, and no matter what bike that full fat midrange is a joy you never get used too  :001:

• Online Winger   gb

• XR God  ‐    3522

Online Winger

• XR God
    Reply #8 on: April 26, 2021, 01:57:06 pm
    April 26, 2021, 01:57:06 pm
    As a separate issue re noise...you go off script too much with these things you’ll be up to your neck in mud and alligators, Akra headers,MIVV can,K+N filter and noise is minimal, as for going a distance..I haven’t been what I class as a distance...we have been down to Bordeaux on the X/R but that’s hardly distance, Jesus we’ve done a 1000 miler in 16 hours including the ferry crossing on our 955 Tiger and it’s still our bench mark for travelling.

Fit a MotoHooligan Airbox on a KTM  :169:

• XR Member  ‐    58
    • Topic Author

Offline Quent

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #9 on: April 26, 2021, 03:08:18 pm
    April 26, 2021, 03:08:18 pm
    Clearly there are lots of ways to skin a cat. I appreciate all the input and this is my take on getting rid of the TUV restrictions, having digested all the different viewpoints. We will find out if it works in a couple of weeks, if it doesn't, I will be the first to put my hands up and change things!! There is no such thing as failure, just a lesson learned! Half the fun of ownership is making them better suited to you. Antares asked, and Yes I am very fortunate to work in a small Workshop where we do all sorts of classic car and bike work, which means I have access to fabrication and machining equipment.

dysfunctional