Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Diablo Rosso 3  (Read 4702 times)

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
Diablo Rosso 3
« on: May 01, 2016, 09:04:26 AM »
Had s et fitted yesterday

First impressions are very good. the profile is now the same as the superiors so tuen in is lightning quick.

trad pattern the sam as the SC as well so look thebollocks

The reviews say better life span and better wet grip but only time will tell but if the dry grip is as good or better than the rosso 2 I will be a happy chap
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Kildare
Re: Diablo Rosso 3
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 12:45:48 PM »
So Rick, how are you finding them ?

My rear Bridgestone is looking very sad at a bit over 6000KM & I'm looking at options. I'm no longer in the first flush of youth so I'm not a (complete) hooligan nor do I do trackdays. A lot of my riding is smaller, bumpy, back roads and, living in Ireland, wet weather grip is important. A longer life would be great too.

Comments from anyone else who has real world experience of other tyres on an XR would be appreciated too... 

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 07:26:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jockser [+]
So Rick, how are you finding them ?

My rear Bridgestone is looking very sad at a bit over 6000KM & I'm looking at options. I'm no longer in the first flush of youth so I'm not a (complete) hooligan nor do I do trackdays. A lot of my riding is smaller, bumpy, back roads and, living in Ireland, wet weather grip is important. A longer life would be great too.

Comments from anyone else who has real world experience of other tyres on an XR would be appreciated too...

Mine had the rosso 2s from new and they are great tyres for grip but not good for life !

The rosso 3s seem even better grip wise and looking at the rear will be good for over 3000 miles which is an improvement on the rosso 2s.
I would like something that lasted longer but I do prize grip over life every time and is suppose with all that HP going through them 3K isn't too bad
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 09:26:57 AM »
When my Bridgestones go belly up them I'll run the XR the same as my other bikes that's a Dunlop SportSmart on the front if we are in the UK then it's the same on the rear and when we are travelling abroad will change the rear for a RoadSmart.

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 05:40:48 PM »
Thanks Rick.
3000 miles is worse that than my BT's !
I'd have to change tyres at the start & again at the end of a 3 week holiday :019:

Winger, presumably you're changing to the RoadSmart for longevity ?
What sort of milage have you been getting out of them on comparable bikes ?

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 07:32:23 PM »
Varies the worsed bike I have ever known for tyres is my modded XT660 I've had to resort to a RS on the back and even then lucky to see 1500 mile in 9000 miles it's done 4 fronts and 6 rears.

I've an old 1100s and 955 Tiger that I run on Dymags and can get away with either Sport Smarts front and rear but for longer trips resort to R Smart rear and the same with a K1200 last year went from Brum to Misano for the GP and then on to the Ricard for the Bol and the tyre has only just started to loose it's shape and that's after Toulon to Calais in under 10 hours looking at it I'd say it's a couple of thousand miles left in it but I'll do you a photo if you like so you can make your own mind up,when we came back took the rear wheel out and fitted another with a Sport Smart.

I ran Michelins for a while they wear really well but are really slow turners  compared to the Dunlops.

But hey tyres are like women we all have our own preferences :001:

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 11:15:32 AM »
Thanks Winger  :152:

I've only had Tourances (on GSA's) & various off-road tyres for the last 10+ years so I have no idea how other tyres stack up. I always liked Dunlops on my cars but my current Pajero has Dunlops and I hate them. 66000km & they look almost new but they won't go around a wet corner without sliding  :013:

RoadSmart or PR4, RoadSmart or PR4.... :187:

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 12:16:18 PM »
By 2001 I was on my 3rd Tiger and already come to the conclusion that a 17" front was the way to go so I built my own rather amusing that Ducati and BMW had the same idea all these years on.

The difference between the options you mentioned I'd say the PR4 will wear better but like all Mich's they turn slower and hence my preference for Dunlops and the choice of having a soft grippy front Sport Smart and when needs be a Road Smart on the rear,but you could do the same with Michelins.

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 09:33:51 AM »
Noted  :028:
I'd definitely pick handling over longevity but it's all a compromise isn't it

Awaiting a price on the Dunlops. I'll let you know how I get on.

Offline Austin spain

• XR Junior
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Crevillent
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 05:57:36 PM »
 :305: I fitted a Rosso 3 to the front. But still have a Rosso 2 on the rear. I've immediately noticed improved feel, thus giving me more confidence. My old Front Rosso 2 lasted 13k. And rears are averaging 7k. I've had no squaring off on them. So it'll be interesting to see how the Rosso 3 fare.
 I ride in warm to hot dry conditions. So I wont be able to comment on wet grip. Having said that it was cold today and the tyres warmed up very quickly. Very impressive.