Author What sort of mileage you getting from chain/sprocket with heavy throttle?  (Read 1488 times)

• Offline MR-TiGGer   gb

• XR Member  ‐    80
    • Topic Author

Offline MR-TiGGer

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
    • Town: St. Helens
    What sort of mileage you getting from chain/sprocket with heavy throttle?
    on: April 27, 2021, 06:02:37 pm
    April 27, 2021, 06:02:37 pm
    On 11’500 and rear sprocket is not in the best of health, this seem a bit short or part of having a heavy throttle hand so suck it up?

Also rough price for dealership to do it, can I expect?

Thanks
    Not personally qualified to confuse cats, but I can recommend an extremely good service.

• Online wessie   gb

• XR Master  ‐    636

Online wessie

• XR Master
    • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
    • Town: Cheltenham
    Re: What sort of mileage you getting from chain/sprocket with heavy throttle?
    Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 06:18:38 pm
    April 27, 2021, 06:18:38 pm
    Rich posted in https://www.s1000xr.uk/index.php/topic,5270.msg46101.html#msg46101 that a main dealer quoted £390 for fitting a chain & sprocket kit. I'm hoping that included the parts!

I just had a new DVD chain & JT sprocket kit on my bike. These cost from around £100 online, depending on whether you go for the VX or ZVX chain. I have the latter. Check the listing is for a 128 link chain as some on Ebay are for a 118 link one, which caught me out.

A decent independent workshop will charge a lot less than £250+ to fit the chain & sprockets, perhaps £60, depending on their hourly rate.

My chain was changed at 18,500 miles. I have had the bike since 10,500 miles and I am hoping the one taken off was the original chain. I also had new cush drive rubbers as there was a bit of slop in the sprocket. These are effing expensive - you need 5 for about £17 each from Motorworks.

Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 06:19:37 pm by wessie

• Offline MR-TiGGer   gb

• XR Member  ‐    80
    • Topic Author

Offline MR-TiGGer

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 07:11:39 pm
    April 27, 2021, 07:11:39 pm
    Thanks Wessie for an excellent explanation, think I’ll buy my own set and get my local garage to fit it. They looked after my F800R for 8yrs after all.

Cheers!
    Not personally qualified to confuse cats, but I can recommend an extremely good service.

• Offline Antares   gb

• XR God  ‐    1298

Offline Antares

• XR God
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 09:24:11 pm
    April 27, 2021, 09:24:11 pm
    Got 17k out of the Stock set but they were absolutely toast, just replaced them this morning with a set of JT sprockets and a Tsubaki Sigma XRG. A DID ZVMX + JT set should run you about 120-130 GBP Tsubaki set probably closer to 200 GBP, my mechanic done one for me for 155 as supplier made an oopsie and got a goodwill discount. Will post on life but the Tsubakis last a long while, had them on a few bikes now, easily 20k out of them if cleaned often.

edit:
    *Originally Posted by wessie [+]
    Rich posted in https://www.s1000xr.uk/index.php/topic,5270.msg46101.html#msg46101 that a main dealer quoted £390 for fitting a chain & sprocket kit. I'm hoping that included the parts!

I just had a new DVD chain & JT sprocket kit on my bike. These cost from around £100 online, depending on whether you go for the VX or ZVX chain. I have the latter. Check the listing is for a 128 link chain as some on Ebay are for a 118 link one, which caught me out.

A decent independent workshop will charge a lot less than £250+ to fit the chain & sprockets, perhaps £60, depending on their hourly rate.

My chain was changed at 18,500 miles. I have had the bike since 10,500 miles and I am hoping the one taken off was the original chain. I also had new cush drive rubbers as there was a bit of slop in the sprocket. These are effing expensive - you need 5 for about £17 each from Motorworks.

Actually good point in these, my cush drive had slop in it too, nothing a few slices of inner tube doesn't fix though. I'd avoid going for the VX1-2-3 chains, even in 525 pitch they are barely rated for the XR's horsepower  Only the ZVMX does in DIDs line up, besides, it's only like 10-20 quid more than the regular VXs, no point skimping, will last longer too so you'll get your money back. I paid 400 for a rear tyre + chain and sprocket, parts and fitted at my local mechanic, good chap, been in the trade longer than I've been alive.
    Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 09:33:12 pm by Antares

• Offline MR-TiGGer   gb

• XR Member  ‐    80
    • Topic Author

Offline MR-TiGGer

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 09:57:53 am
    April 28, 2021, 09:57:53 am
    Thanks to you both, found the company on fleabay, bike torque and decided to fit it myself thanks to YouTube explain the linking tool which was the scary bit in my head. Never having linked a chain in my life 👀

Very helpful thanks again  :020:

The torque these things chuck through the chain is why they are insanely fun to ride, don’t want to keep paying bmw for a sorta ok chain, so £150 and a couple of hours is a non issue for me looking at it
    Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 10:00:27 am by MR-TiGGer

• Offline Antares   gb

• XR God  ‐    1298

Offline Antares

• XR God
    Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 01:27:16 pm
    April 28, 2021, 01:27:16 pm
    *Originally Posted by MR-TiGGer [+]
    Thanks to you both, found the company on fleabay, bike torque and decided to fit it myself thanks to YouTube explain the linking tool which was the scary bit in my head. Never having linked a chain in my life 👀

Very helpful thanks again  :020:

The torque these things chuck through the chain is why they are insanely fun to ride, don’t want to keep paying bmw for a sorta ok chain, so £150 and a couple of hours is a non issue for me looking at it

Be careful because some of those ebay included riveting tools are only for Hollow rivets (need to be mushroomed out) not Solid rivets (need to be squished flat).

• Offline MR-TiGGer   gb

• XR Member  ‐    80
    • Topic Author

Offline MR-TiGGer

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 02:10:11 pm
    April 28, 2021, 02:10:11 pm
    *Originally Posted by Antares [+]
    Be careful because some of those ebay included riveting tools are only for Hollow rivets (need to be mushroomed out) not Solid rivets (need to be squished flat).

Cheers, watched a video by delboys garage using the Sealy kit, gone for that option instead. Think the mushroom type is the older generation and not how D.I.D. do it now on their x ring chains just needs flaring a touch.

• Offline Antares   gb

• XR God  ‐    1298

Offline Antares

• XR God
    Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 02:12:56 pm
    April 28, 2021, 02:12:56 pm
    *Originally Posted by MR-TiGGer [+]
    Cheers, watched a video by delboys garage using the Sealy kit, gone for that option instead. Think the mushroom type is the older generation and not how D.I.D. do it now on their x ring chains just needs flaring a touch.

Yea most high end chains have flared solid rivets but fleabay specials still include tools that are only suitable for hollow rivets. If you got the right tool then no worries at all, good luck, you can find relevant flaring dimensions on DID's website.

• Offline MR-TiGGer   gb

• XR Member  ‐    80
    • Topic Author

Offline MR-TiGGer

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 02:18:19 pm
    April 28, 2021, 02:18:19 pm
    *Originally Posted by Antares [+]
    Yea most high end chains have flared solid rivets but fleabay specials still include tools that are only suitable for hollow rivets.

Getting what you pay for  :004:

Also it’s so close fitting and the stress is entirely longitudinal so very little flare is needed to hold the link together. Looks like you’re making it about a mil wider on both pins.

dysfunctional