Author Results after winter modifications K-Tech and Akra content.  (Read 2119 times)

• Offline bazzer   gb

• XR God  ‐    1193
    • Topic Author

Offline bazzer

• XR God
    • Topic Author
    • Town: Waterlooville
    Results after winter modifications K-Tech and Akra content.
    on: April 28, 2021, 07:57:20 am
    April 28, 2021, 07:57:20 am
    Decided end of last year that it was time for a new bike as my XR had circa 30K miles on it. Then I decided I would just end up buying a newer version of the one I have. So I decided I might as well upgrade and just do a major check up and replacement of mine, mine is one of the early 2015 models.

However while doing the valve clearances I did a leak down test and found that cylinders 1 and 2 were leaking from the inlet valves. I was going to whip the head off and sort it all out and maybe fit some RR cams when a 2018 motor with 1700miles on it came up on ebay for £700. So I decided to fit that and rebuild my engine at my leisure, possibly to RR spec at a later date.

So in the end I did the following

Engine:
    Newer 2018 engine
    RR air box with variable intake stacks
    Akra headers
    Removed Secondary Air system.
    Removed the acoustic insert in the airbox inlet
    Dyno and Flash at Crowe Performance.

Suspension
    K-Tech IDS fork cartridges
    k-Tech DDS rear shock.

Styling
    Vinyl wrap in metalic Matt red
    ASV levers
    HP rearsets (not fitted yet)

Got it MOT'd yesterday and  last night had the first proper ride last night about 80miles on various roads.

I was blown away, the suspension is amazing much more high speed stability. I was concerned it might be a bit too stiff and lose its real world performance, I cold not have been more wrong. Very comfy without losing any control, K-Tech do make some really great kit. I am so pleased.

The engine is great too, the hunting at low speeds is gone I was on cruise control at 30mph in 3rd and it was solid none of that shunting you get as standard. Mid range a lot fatter, I was trying not to go too mad as I want to have another bolt check after the shake down ride.

All in all I am so chuffed I was really concerned I could ruin what is a great bike as standard. Its like an XR only better. I was trying to not go to mad as I said above, but it was so good it was very hard not to just enjoy it and really press on :-)

Jobs left to do
    I still need to wrap the rear trim panels, in fact I will probably do the wrap again, I learnt so much doing it and could do a better job, its far from perfect.
    Fit the rearsets
    I would like a HP seat.
    Have a go at cleaning the black plastic stuff or maybe wrap in matt black.
    Put the engine cases from my engine on the new engine or some GB racing covers (the new engine was in a crash and has some case rash)

• Offline Quent   england

• XR Member  ‐    60

Offline Quent

• XR Member
    • The older I get the faster I was!
    • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
    • Town: Peterborough
    Re: Results after winter modifications K-Tech and Akra content.
    Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 08:45:14 am
    April 28, 2021, 08:45:14 am
    Such a good feeling when a project comes together and works! I am assuming that the 2018 euro 4 motor is identical to the earlier motor except for bolt on  tuv stuff and electronics ?
    What could possibly go wrong!!

• Offline bazzer   gb

• XR God  ‐    1193
    • Topic Author

Offline bazzer

• XR God
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 08:50:17 am
    April 28, 2021, 08:50:17 am
    Identical sensors and externally, throttle bodies have some more emssions equipment on them, I used my old throttle bodies. Things like cams and pistons are a the same if you wanted to replace them in a 2015 engine etc and the head and crankcases all seem to have the same part numbers on real OEM. So yeah I am guessing most of the changes are like you say emissions equiment and electronics/mapping.

Its running really well, I am dead chuffed, I am going to strip the old engine and if I can get an RR head at sensible money I might go that way. I love a good experiment. Or if I can get RR cams, valves, springs and retainers I could rebuild my head with those. Again RR head is same part number as XR.

• Offline Winger   gb

• XR God  ‐    3580

Offline Winger

• XR God
    • Town: Birmingham
    Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 10:42:32 am
    April 28, 2021, 10:42:32 am
    Blimey I need too pull myself together  :005: it’s the top box ....small babies or just individual body parts :156:

Re the seat...never had the stock seat mine came with the HP option from new, it’s OK but never hit the spot, bought another custom seat which didn’t get the job done so sold on here and then on a whim saw another on eBay just another custom job made by god knows who, slightly taller than the HP and it’s absolutely bang on.

• Offline bazzer   gb

• XR God  ‐    1193
    • Topic Author

Offline bazzer

• XR God
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 10:58:42 am
    April 28, 2021, 10:58:42 am
    Its a practical bike Winger, I have other bikes if I want to ride something that looks good. The XR have a face only a mother could love as it is.

I love my topbox, it makes the bike so practical :)

But yeah you could fit a small family in it :-)

• XR Member  ‐    60

Offline Quent

• XR Member
    Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 11:15:14 am
    April 28, 2021, 11:15:14 am
    I would have thought the RR engine apart from cams is internaly identical to the XR? Just things like throttle bodies and exhaust along with ecu make the difference? So, if you put RR cams in  you would probably lose a big chunk of that lovely mid range torque that the RR lacks? Am I thinking correctly here or am I missing something? Curiosity is an affliction of mine!

• Offline bazzer   gb

• XR God  ‐    1193
    • Topic Author

Offline bazzer

• XR God
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 11:31:25 am
    April 28, 2021, 11:31:25 am
    Its higher compression than the XR so not sure if its a thinner gasket or different pistons, there are various gasket thicknesses available. The loss of midrange is not as much as you would think and to be honest even in XR form its not massively grunty compared to some other bikes. My V4 Tuono is a lot more flexible in the mid range.

The throttle bodies are the same, but obviously it has a different mapping with a higher rev ceiling.

Good thing about building up the spare engine is if I don't like it I can swap the XR spec one back in :-)

I love a good tinker :) Its part of the hobby for me. I know for some they just like to ride. You have to do something when its miserable out :)

• XR Member  ‐    60

Offline Quent

• XR Member
    Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 11:43:11 am
    April 28, 2021, 11:43:11 am
    Ah, ok so if it is pistons, they are probably a bit lighter as well so enabling higher revs, would be interesting if anyone could confirm this? I love a good tinker, but having only had this bike 7 months not ready for heavy mods yet, only 3k on the clock!! Need to get out and ride but time is not easy for me at the moment, all the mundane life things getting in the way.

• Offline bazzer   gb

• XR God  ‐    1193
    • Topic Author

Offline bazzer

• XR God
    • Topic Author
    Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 11:46:59 am
    April 28, 2021, 11:46:59 am
    Yeah I will have a look on Realoem at some point and compare all the part number.

Its been really good getting to know the bike really well. I have had a lot of Triump 675's and 765 and I know them really well. I am getting there on the S1000 based bikes now too.

• Offline Mareng1   gb

• XR God  ‐    1605

Offline Mareng1

• XR God
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Town: Cumbria
    Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 11:51:57 am
    April 28, 2021, 11:51:57 am
    Impressive!

Basic questions:

What did you do with the electronics input for the original suspension? (assuming you had the electronic suspension)

If above valid - do you notice increased dive when braking?

I imagine it handles SO much better than bog standard suspension?

dysfunctional