Author Topic: Software update?  (Read 993 times)

Offline Diavel

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Vientiane
Software update?
on: May 08, 2021, 01:06:01 AM
As I was upgrading the software on my BMW car yesterday I wondered if there was anything similar from BMW Motorrrad? I couldn't find anything online.I have both MotoScan and the GS-911 for my bike as there is no BMW dealer here so useful to have both.With the car you download the update from BMW and then upload via usb into the car.Not sure how this might work with the bike (if at all)? :027: Are upgrades only available from BMW Motorrad dealers?

Offline peterwbaker1100

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR W/B/R
  • Town: Stoke-Sub-Hamdon
Re: Software update?
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 11:15:45 AM
There are occasional software updates done via the BMW dealer network, they tend to install them when you have a problem they believe is fixed by the update, it is not a standard "give this to everyone" approach:-) Hope that helps, Peter
R1250RT two up / S1000XR for fun!

Offline Diavel

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 01:33:14 PM
Thanks for that so the approach by BMW Motorrad is different to BMW cars....good to know :028:

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 04:25:45 PM
The updates for BMW cars are limited to media player updates. Would be nice if BMW had that for TFT, but some overpaid genius at BMW decided not to and thus there's no USB port to access the bike

Offline Robbee

• XR Junior
Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 07:56:38 AM
Had my Gen 2 software updated yesterday during the first service, after the headlights and auxiliary lights stopped functioning. BMW service said it was a 'known problem' and hopefully the update should resolve it. They said if it happens again, to switch off the ignition and on again after 1 minute to clear the problem, which while it didn't resolve the problem for the last 3 weeks riding, I had to disconnect the battery to charge it and when I reconnected it the fault went away!

The latest software installed yesterday on my bike was S/W Version: 022_007_020 (the previous being S/W Version: 022_005_041). I'll post again if the problem returns!

robbee

Offline Diavel

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 12:54:46 PM
Thanks for the info. I smiled when I read about your comment on the battery disconnection....the tried and tested way to clear a number of problems 😁

Offline Chaz

• XR Junior
  • Bike: Nothing yet
  • Town: Ickenham
Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 08:46:20 AM
Mine had to be updated (2021 bike) after it hung once and it was discovered that my alarm wasnt 'programmed' into the bike. Clearly missed on the PDI, along with a bit of foam still attached to the bike which my wife spotted when we collected.

I can check the version number later.

Offline Robbee

• XR Junior
Reply #7 on: May 17, 2021, 07:40:33 AM
*Originally Posted by Diavel [+]
Thanks for the info. I smiled when I read about your comment on the battery disconnection....the tried and tested way to clear a number of problems 😁

Thanks Diavel. Is there a list of known problems / issues that are resolved by a battery disconnection?

robbee

Offline Diavel

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 09:51:08 AM
Hi Robbee....the honest answer is I don't really know. But it appears that there is little harm in trying to clear some faults with a battery disconnection a bit like rebooting the computer!