Author Topic: Throttle valve sensor  (Read 522 times)

Offline Diavel

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Vientiane
Throttle valve sensor
on: May 08, 2021, 09:03:22 AM
 Throttle valve Sensor replacement.I have read about this in the Haynes manual and it seems a bit complicated (for an amateur mechanic like me)  ....removing throttle bodies etc? Is there an easier way to access it ?Then is is just  matter of plug and play or does the new tps need extra work/coding etc?The bike has a fault code of C90403, which is the tps, and is working fine atm but I would rather replace it,I have a new one,  before I learn the hard way.Any advice appreciated ( and no dealers in the country so please dont suggest that   :008:)...TIA.

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
Re: Throttle valve sensor
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 01:15:30 PM
Not to be funny, but I am sure if there was an easier way to do it, that way would be in the Haynes Manual.

Offline Diavel

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 01:31:33 PM
Not funny I agree 😁. Its just that Haynes manuals get mixed reviews some fabulous others less so and I was just wondering if some members had a different approach.As they say "hope dies last".

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 09:39:32 PM
*Originally Posted by Diavel [+]
Throttle valve Sensor replacement.I have read about this in the Haynes manual and it seems a bit complicated (for an amateur mechanic like me)  ....removing throttle bodies etc? Is there an easier way to access it ?Then is is just  matter of plug and play or does the new tps need extra work/coding etc?The bike has a fault code of C90403, which is the tps, and is working fine atm but I would rather replace it,I have a new one,  before I learn the hard way.Any advice appreciated ( and no dealers in the country so please dont suggest that   :008:)...TIA.

Before you replace it, clear the fault code and see if it comes back...might just be a "glitch".

I believe the TPS needs to be set and calibrated so the ECU knows where it lives in space. They have a small range of angular adjustment and I suspect they may require setting to be correct. You may get away with just fitting the new one in the same spot.... but no two sensors will be identical. I think there's a procedure in the GS-911 service menu to set/reset them...but I've not done it myself.

Smithy.
Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 09:54:43 PM by smithy
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Diavel

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 01:47:48 AM
I will give the reset a try and then see if it clears the problem permanently.Fingers crossed but I appreciate your advice -thanks Smithy  :028:

Offline bazzer

• XR God
  • Town: Waterlooville
Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 07:43:43 AM
I think you will struggle without taking the throttle bodies off.

If you are going to re-use the OE clamps you will also need the special otiker clamp pliers or bodge something up to fit the clamps.

Offline Diavel

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 09:10:02 AM
Thanks for that.Fingers crossed that it might be a glitch.This type of work is surpassing my mechanical ability and no doubt I will make more problems than I resolve.The otiker clamp pliers are the same (maybe?) that were needed when I changed the coolant and used some very long nosed pliers which is not ideal but did the job.

Offline bazzer

• XR God
  • Town: Waterlooville
Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 09:25:05 AM
The pliers for the throttle bodies are different to the ones you need for the big coolant hoses where they are like one big spring loaded clip.

Offline Diavel

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 12:36:27 PM
Thanks for the info. I scanned the bike today with Motoscan, after a ride,  and it came up as a "trouble code" not a fault code.I understand that these are sometimes known as shadow codes and can be ignored? Bike seems ok.I used the MotoScan as I was having trouble today getting the GS-911 to connect

dysfunctional