Author Forks springs for 20-21 model  (Read 1265 times)

• Offline Momo1970

• XR Member  ‐    29
    • Topic Author

Offline Momo1970

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Forks springs for 20-21 model
    on: May 16, 2021, 12:09:04 am
    May 16, 2021, 12:09:04 am
    Are there any alternatives to the OEM fork springs?

• Offline PapaDac   gb

• XR Member  ‐    42

Offline PapaDac

• XR Member
    • Bike: 1000XR TE MSport
    • Town: Welshpool
    Re: Forks springs for 20-21 model
    Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 08:56:08 am
    July 15, 2021, 08:56:08 am
    I have a 2021 XR and I'm just about to get my suspension modified by Maxton, I'm getting new shock and new fork inserts, the springs and damping will be matched to my wight, intended use, riding style and tyres. So once they have developed a solution using my bike as a test mule, they will have what your looking for.
    I'll let you know when its all done, they recon it'll be completed my the end of July.

• Offline LeDuke   cy

• XR Member  ‐    57

Offline LeDuke

• XR Member
    • Bike: S1000XR (2021)
    Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 03:23:19 pm
    July 15, 2021, 03:23:19 pm
    PapaDac, Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but how will this effect your electronic suspension? Road mode or Dynamic? etc...
    Any idea?

• Offline PapaDac   gb

• XR Member  ‐    42

Offline PapaDac

• XR Member
    Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 05:12:05 pm
    July 15, 2021, 05:12:05 pm
    *Originally Posted by LeDuke [+]
    PapaDac, Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but how will this effect your electronic suspension? Road mode or Dynamic? etc...
    Any idea?
    There are no stupid questions. It won’t affect the electronic suspension at all, as they will be sitting on a shelf marked ‘do not use’  :745:
    As the Gen 2 bike, came out in the midst of Covid. No companies have yet developed any suspension upgrades. Tractive Suspension, who developed the electronic suspension with BMW, do have Gen 1 upgrades which keep the electronic suspension. They have plans, but no products anytime soon for Gen 2.
    I wasn’t prepared to wait an indefinite period to sort out, what I think at times is bordering on dangerous handling with the standard setup.
    Quite a few guys on the forum with Gen 1 bikes, have gone the non electronic suspension route with great results.
    So I’m the first of the Gen 2’s, so watch this space for how it goes.
    Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 05:13:01 pm by PapaDac

• Offline LeDuke   cy

• XR Member  ‐    57

Offline LeDuke

• XR Member
    • Bike: S1000XR (2021)
    Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 06:47:08 pm
    July 15, 2021, 06:47:08 pm
     :745: :745:
    So you will be ditching completely the electronic suspension,
    What happens to your dashboard, errors? Codes? settings?
    Is it possible for them to be coded out?
    This is very interesting because i am at the heavier part of the suspension range and cannot consider ever using road mode, and always have it in dynamic; however even then sometimes its not enough, I would have much preferred a normal suspension made of quality components instead of this "Let BMW sort it all out" attitude.

• Offline Antares   gb

• XR God  ‐    1071

Offline Antares

• XR God
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    Reply #5 on: July 15, 2021, 07:02:46 pm
    July 15, 2021, 07:02:46 pm
    This is very interesting because i am at the heavier part of the suspension range and cannot consider ever using road mode, and always have it in dynamic; however even then sometimes its not enough, I would have much preferred a normal suspension made of quality components instead of this "Let BMW sort it all out" attitude.

As with the Gen 1 ECU and cut off plugs will probably be utilised fooling the bike to think it's still there when it's not really.

• Offline PapaDac   gb

• XR Member  ‐    42

Offline PapaDac

• XR Member
    Reply #6 on: July 15, 2021, 08:33:05 pm
    July 15, 2021, 08:33:05 pm
    For the error codes, again nothing commercially available yet. But I’ve found a guy who reckons he has a software solution, that he uses on racing RR’s. I’ll report back on this fix too.
    From talking to suspension providers, the general opinion is that XR ESA, is under sprung and over damped. These ‘features’, gives a suspension that works on billiard table smooth tarmac. But is on the back foot on anything else.
    I’m at the top of the BMW ideal rider weight, but as it’s a touring bike, it should cope with a pillion and luggage on top of that. I’m well below that combined weight.
    I find the ‘road’ mode is just way to soft, it wallows badly when coming out of corners, if giving even a minor portion of beans. Bike gets into full weaves on motorway curves if you hit even minor bumps.
    I find Dynamic mode is a bit closer to what I would expect of decent suspension. But is way to harsh, and bucks me out of the seat over bumps. I’ve tuned out some of the harshness by dropping 2/3psi in front and rear tyres. But it still bumps me out of the saddle.
    Which is why I’m binning the lot and going with top quality traditional suspension, fettled to my weight and my riding style.

• Offline bazzer   gb

• XR God  ‐    1143

Offline bazzer

• XR God
    • Town: Waterlooville
    Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 02:57:20 pm
    July 19, 2021, 02:57:20 pm
    My gen 1 had the electronic suspension mapped out by Phil Crowe, I don't even have the options on the dash anymore :-)

• Offline PapaDac   gb

• XR Member  ‐    42

Offline PapaDac

• XR Member
    Reply #8 on: July 19, 2021, 03:39:10 pm
    July 19, 2021, 03:39:10 pm
    *Originally Posted by bazzer [+]
    My gen 1 had the electronic suspension mapped out by Phil Crowe, I don't even have the options on the dash anymore :-)
    I’ve just got back from dropping the bike off at Maxton. The garage is looking very empty.  :003:
    However, while the cats away and all that, I’ll be testing the new Aprilia 1100 Turono for a few days.
    Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 03:39:43 pm by PapaDac

dysfunctional