Author Changes to new 2019 XR  (Read 1113 times)

• Offline bertbrumfiel   us

• XR Junior  ‐    12
    • Topic Author

Offline bertbrumfiel

• XR Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: s1000xr 2019
    • Town: Kernersville
    Changes to new 2019 XR
    on: May 23, 2021, 07:05:02 pm
    May 23, 2021, 07:05:02 pm
    I purchased a used 2019 S1000XR the end of April to replace a 2007 K1200R-Sport totaled by my son, Michael.  [He has recovered from multiple bruises and contusions, no broken bones, and is ready to ride again.]

The bike, obtained from the local dealer, Greensboro BMW, was traded in by a young woman, with 3776 miles, included was the sport package, gloss black touring cases, and a “Triple Black” paint scheme [gorgeous].  It also included the BMW accessory rear finder extender [for rain riding].
    The owner had added S&W protective bars and “Soupys” performance lowering link and side stand, lowering the seat height to 31”.
    The bike is a joy to ride; fast light, flick-able, and comfortable. Definitely a step up from the K1200R-Sport with the same HP and only slightly less low end torque.  The standard seat is capable of hours of comfortable riding.

Of course, I have to make changes to make it better for Michael and I.

The first change was to purchase and install a used luggage rack from a K1200GT.  I have both a small and large top box from previous motorcycles, including several K1200GTs and a current 2013 F800GT.  A similar luggage rack had previously been added to my 1998 K1200RS, allowing either trunk to be used on all three of our bikes.
    Three co-ax power plugs are added; near the BMW plug on the front left fairing, at the front of the seat, and at the rear of the seat for power to accessories, trickle charger, and of course, heated riding gear.
    A Quick Charge 3.0 Dual 12V USB Socket with Red Digital Voltmeter was added on the front right fairing, opposite the BMW power plug.
    Under the seat, near the battery is a 4 fuse block to control all new power plugs and future lighting.  There is a relay in front of the fuse block for control from the key.  There is either a LED or HID headlight bulb in the future.
    The GPS mount had a 2” X4 ½” plate added between the mount and clamp to raise the GPS to within 1 ½’ of the windshield top [when lowered]   Now when I look at the GPS, I can still see the road ahead.

With the other 2 bikes in the garage having 27” wide lower bars, the 32” high rise GS bars had to go.

A Mountain Bike Extra Long Handlebar, 27” wide and 2” Rise, was purchased.  The racing bars are extra thick [and strong] aluminum and fit the 1 ¼” clamps on the XR perfectly.  A 1/8” hole had to be drilled in both sides, and expanding End plugs were installed for the bar end weights.  The levers cleared the fairing [just barely] and the mirrors had only slightly reduced vision.  Of course, the hand protectors had to go.  An extra inch of rise wouldn’t hurt and, in the future, I may add small bar risers, or a different set of bicycle bars.  I have ordered extenders for the mirrors.

The bike is now a joy to ride and I am looking forward to our first multi hundred mile trip.
    Sorry there are no pics yet, but will be in the future.  I have to show off the gorgeous paint scheme. :015: :015:

• Online Winger   gb

• XR God  ‐    3518

Online Winger

• XR God
    • Town: Birmingham
    Re: Changes to new 2019 XR
    Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 09:54:16 pm
    May 23, 2021, 09:54:16 pm
    Still got ours 12 years on full akra,BSt's,Wilbers

• XR Junior  ‐    12
    • Topic Author

Offline bertbrumfiel

• XR Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: May 23, 2021, 10:03:59 pm
    May 23, 2021, 10:03:59 pm
    Aren't they a great bike. :152: :152:
    I put about 45k on mine and then passed it down to my son when I got a 2007 K1200GT.
    While Michael had the bike, I could still ride either one. :001: :001:

• Offline BobT   fr

• XR Pro  ‐    198

Offline BobT

• XR Pro
    • Bike: S1000XR, R1250RS
    • Town: Perigueux
    Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 09:01:19 am
    May 24, 2021, 09:01:19 am
    K1200R Sport, best looking BMW that they produced in the last 20 years.

• XR Junior  ‐    12
    • Topic Author

Offline bertbrumfiel

• XR Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 04:04:29 pm
    May 24, 2021, 04:04:29 pm
    I had the blue one.

A friend had the white with black frame.  He had all the white parts painted black to match the frame and trim.
    Looked awesome!!!

• Online Antares   gb

• XR God  ‐    1071

Online Antares

• XR God
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    Reply #5 on: May 24, 2021, 07:18:07 pm
    May 24, 2021, 07:18:07 pm
    Very curious about the K1200. One of my riding mates has a '05 K1200R and whilst on paper it has more power and torque the XR absolutely smokes it off the line, I reckon that's due to the 30kg extra the K1200 is carrying and some losses from the shaft drive. A veeerrry unique bike though, the front end is so weird because it just simply doesn't dive at all, the R isn't winning any beauty contest but the single sided swingarm (shaft drive duh) still looks great. Sounds mean too, my mate has it straight piped with a Remus endcan. I was contemplating getting it instead of the XR because on paper it has it all, ESA, TC, heated grips, but I didn't wanna get an older bike  anymore, and the XR ticked more boxes for me.

• Offline SimonUK   us

• XR Master  ‐    931

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
    • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
    • Town: Upstate, SC
    Reply #6 on: May 24, 2021, 07:37:15 pm
    May 24, 2021, 07:37:15 pm
    *Originally Posted by Antares [+]
    I was contemplating getting it instead of the XR because on paper it has it all, ESA, TC, heated grips, but I didn't wanna get an older bike  anymore, and the XR ticked more boxes for me.

I traded a K13S for my XR, loved the front end on the big K, and the torque curve was to die for. Whilst 'on paper' it had all the electronics compared to the XR they were very rudimentary and agricultural in operation compared to the much more 'refined' electronics on the XR. I miss the K, but at the end of the day the XR is lighter, quicker and just more fun than the K. Plus you cannot not really compare them as like for like, XR is definitely more 'sporty'.

• Online Winger   gb

• XR God  ‐    3518

Online Winger

• XR God
    • Town: Birmingham
    Reply #7 on: May 24, 2021, 08:03:32 pm
    May 24, 2021, 08:03:32 pm
    In no particular order, the 04/5/6 K was a horror, I say 04 because when it got launched in September 04...they all went back to Germany.!!!!, I test rode a new one in 05...what a shed :015:

If your looking at one you need the 1300, it’s where BM should have started in the first place, my K has just scht its gearbox, so it was either bin it or find a 1300 engine so I can take the gearbox and clutch out which is happening anytime soon having just bought an 11,000 miler.

Yep gotta go with everything that’s been said about the X/R being better....BUT..top end power and speed ...you can bring any X/R you like a K will smoke it every time..well until you get to the first corner  :001:

But gotta say I still have a connection to mine, BST’s/Wilbers/Full Akra system, Rexxer map hmmm...