Author Hello Everybody!  (Read 1763 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • Offline Shotgun   us

    • XR Junior  ‐    4
    • *
    • Topic Author

    Offline Shotgun

    • XR Junior
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 4
    • Bike: 2019 S1000XR
    • Town: South Florida
    • Country: us
    Hello Everybody!
    on: May 27, 2021, 05:11:25 pm
    May 27, 2021, 05:11:25 pm
    New to the XR, coming from GS and happy to be here!

  • Offline dimasick   us

    • XR Junior  ‐    3
    • *
      #1

    Offline dimasick

    • XR Junior
    • *
    • Posts: 3
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Town: New York City
    • Country: us
    Re: Hello Everybody!
    Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 08:50:04 pm
    June 02, 2021, 08:50:04 pm
    Curious as to your thoughts on the switch. Was close to pulling the trigger on a 2014 GS but an 18 XR at the dealer spoke to me.  Feeling the stiff suspension here in NYC but decided I would ultimately prefer the juice and twisty capabilities of the XR.

  • Offline otrp   us

    • XR Master  ‐    890
    • ****
      #2

    Offline otrp

    • XR Master
    • ****
    • Posts: 890
    • Country: us
    Re: Hello Everybody!
    Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 12:07:13 pm
    June 03, 2021, 12:07:13 pm
    Welcome.

  • Offline Darty65   england

    • XR Member  ‐    84
    • **
      #3

    Offline Darty65

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Posts: 84
    • Bike: S1000XR TE (K69)
    • Country: england
    Re: Hello Everybody!
    Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 05:25:46 pm
    June 03, 2021, 05:25:46 pm
    Hi and welcome.

    I too would be interested in your thoughts as I sold a 2018 GS for a 2020 XR which I ride all year round and has covered 6,000 miles in nine months. The XR just seems too fragile and I’ve had loads of needling issues with it. Seems to live up to its description of a “sports bike on stilts”.

    In many respects, wish I’d kept the GS.

  • Online Winger   gb

    • XR God  ‐    3522
    • *****
      #4

    Online Winger

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 3522
    • Town: Birmingham
    • Country: gb
    Re: Hello Everybody!
    Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 05:57:20 pm
    June 03, 2021, 05:57:20 pm
    Bike ownership is short a personal thing boarders on the impossible to even discuss because we are all different, I find the thought of only owning one motorcycle as odd as riding all year round, yes been there done that, pushed against the garage door with 6” snow behind it, there are no rights and wrongs just what ever floats your boat.

    I get the GS thing, but find them as attractive as a hole in the head, but you can’t argue with the number BM sell, and yes i’ve Owned an 1100s for 20 years or be it even more modded than my X/R, if you think a GS is a better bet for you i’d Be selling it ASAP.

    Sorry if you were expecting a defensive post for the X/R, got too many bikes for that. :002:

  • Offline dimasick   us

    • XR Junior  ‐    3
    • *
      #5

    Offline dimasick

    • XR Junior
    • *
    • Posts: 3
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Town: New York City
    • Country: us
    Re: Hello Everybody!
    Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 06:50:10 pm
    June 03, 2021, 06:50:10 pm
    @Winger - wish I could have many bikes as well. Funny enough I owned an 1100S - an 04 in the prep colors (but not a prep, so it had ABS) — it was one of my favorite bikes of all time.

    Not expecting a defense of the XR and certainly can’t say I have any buyer’s remorse, but always interested in more data points. Test rides are way too short, especially here in NYC where they give you the bike for 15 minutes and best of luck getting any sense of it. I rode a GS, and a Diavel while shopping. After 2 weeks of ownership (haven’t written a group intro yet) I appreciate the XR more, but I’m also finding some of the things that felt meh about the others may actually be beneficial in the city. In particular the suspension and low down grunt. Plus, you never know when you have more room in the stable….

  • Offline Darty65   england

    • XR Member  ‐    84
    • **
      #6

    Offline Darty65

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Posts: 84
    • Bike: S1000XR TE (K69)
    • Country: england
    Re: Hello Everybody!
    Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 10:20:05 am
    June 04, 2021, 10:20:05 am
    *Originally Posted by Winger [+]
    Bike ownership is short a personal thing boarders on the impossible to even discuss because we are all different, I find the thought of only owning one motorcycle as odd as riding all year round, yes been there done that, pushed against the garage door with 6” snow behind it, there are no rights and wrongs just what ever floats your boat.

    Hi Winger, you’re right.

    I have a mint 2006 Blackbird that only goes out in beautiful sunshine; but, I’m also an IAM Observer and recently qualified as an IAM Master - hence out in all weathers. I love my XR when I can go and enjoy its flickability and power, but it doesn’t seemed to have coped very well with winter, whereas the GS just shrugged off the worst you could throw at it (haven’t tried any bike in 6” of snow though :110:). Maybe I chose the wrong bike and should have kept the GS bearing in mind my all weathers use, but I tested the XR twice and fell in love with what seemed to give me the Blackbird thrill with GS comfort.
    Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 10:21:24 am by Darty65

  • Offline Shotgun   us

    • XR Junior  ‐    4
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • #7

    Offline Shotgun

    • XR Junior
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 4
    • Bike: 2019 S1000XR
    • Town: South Florida
    • Country: us
    Re: Hello Everybody!
    Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 09:45:57 pm
    June 09, 2021, 09:45:57 pm
    Honestly I loved the GS, it was a 2019 HP. My only problem was the height and weight of the bike. I'm 65 and found it to be a little too much for me. The XR has the low suspension and fits me perfectly.

  • Online wessie   gb

    • XR Master  ‐    613
    • ****
      #8

    Online wessie

    • XR Master
    • ****
    • Posts: 613
    • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
    • Town: Cheltenham
    • Country: gb
    Re: Hello Everybody!
    Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 10:30:11 pm
    June 09, 2021, 10:30:11 pm
    *Originally Posted by Darty65 [+]
    Hi Winger, you’re right.

    I have a mint 2006 Blackbird that only goes out in beautiful sunshine; but, I’m also an IAM Observer and recently qualified as an IAM Master - hence out in all weathers. I love my XR when I can go and enjoy its flickability and power, but it doesn’t seemed to have coped very well with winter, whereas the GS just shrugged off the worst you could throw at it (haven’t tried any bike in 6” of snow though :110:). Maybe I chose the wrong bike and should have kept the GS bearing in mind my all weathers use, but I tested the XR twice and fell in love with what seemed to give me the Blackbird thrill with GS comfort.

    I don't think I would choose an XR as an instructor bike. There again, I have a 2016 XR and a 2016 RS, where the latter would be perfect as an instructor's bike.

    Perhaps you need to keep the XR for fun and get a cheap mid-range bike for the IAM abuse in all weathers?

  • Offline Darty65   england

    • XR Member  ‐    84
    • **
      #9

    Offline Darty65

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Posts: 84
    • Bike: S1000XR TE (K69)
    • Country: england
    Re: Hello Everybody!
    Reply #9 on: June 10, 2021, 05:16:04 pm
    June 10, 2021, 05:16:04 pm
    *Originally Posted by wessie [+]
    I don't think I would choose an XR as an instructor bike.

    Perhaps you need to keep the XR for fun and get a cheap mid-range bike for the IAM abuse in all weathers?

    I think you’re probably right Wessie.

     



    dysfunctional