Author Crash Bars K49-bit of a bargain ?  (Read 3590 times)

• Offline Diavel   la

• XR Pro  ‐    193
    • Topic Author

Offline Diavel

• XR Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Town: Vientiane
    Crash Bars K49-bit of a bargain ?
    on: May 29, 2021, 06:55:12 am
    May 29, 2021, 06:55:12 am
    Just thought that I would share with you the crash bars I fitted today in case it of interest for some members 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000590388888.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4d4RnoSR

I paid £71 or $100 whereas very similar ones are £155/$220 from other companies. Free shipping but that took about a month

The fitting instructions were rubbish so I used these from SW Motech as the product looks (is?) identical

https://sw-motech.com/cosmoshop/default/artikelpdf/sbl_07_592_10001_b.pdf

They are very well made, fitted perfectly and look good.

• Offline Warree   gb

• XR Pro  ‐    219

Offline Warree

• XR Pro
    • Town: Pembury
    Re: Crash Bars K49-bit of a bargain ?
    Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 09:29:32 pm
    May 29, 2021, 09:29:32 pm
    Do any UK members have recent experience of Aliexpress and vat/customs/charges?

• Online Antares   gb

• XR God  ‐    1200

Online Antares

• XR God
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 04:17:28 pm
    December 01, 2021, 04:17:28 pm
    I've found this on Ebay, faster shipping but looks identical in terms of build, however the paint seems different,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124861858957?hash=item1d1258c48d:g:hDQAAOSwzzxhHyda

What do you reckon?

I like the SW motech look the best and that it has a cross bar, but it's only 22mm steel, the Givi ones look good and are 25mm but no cross bar, these ones have both and are cheaper. I know BMW's are technically the best but i feel like they don't stick out enough to protect the upper half of the bike and they are almost 3x the price of these for probably only 10% extra protection.

Oh and Givi's require cutting, neither SW motech or these seem to need that.
    Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 04:24:19 pm by Antares

• Offline Winger   gb

• XR God  ‐    3544

Offline Winger

• XR God
    • Town: Birmingham
    Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 04:36:37 pm
    December 01, 2021, 04:36:37 pm
    Do a search on here Cuban Rider....i’ll Not spoil it....but made our decision at the time on which crash bars.😀😀😀😛

• Online Antares   gb

• XR God  ‐    1200

Online Antares

• XR God
    Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 04:37:42 pm
    December 01, 2021, 04:37:42 pm
    *Originally Posted by Winger [+]
    Do a search on here Cuban Rider....i’ll Not spoil it....but made our decision at the time on which crash bars.😀😀😀😛

I know but which is 2nd best? Lol I'm sure the other bars hold up decently too, hell my crash bungs pretty much saved the bike too

Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 04:38:45 pm by Antares

• Online Antares   gb

• XR God  ‐    1200

Online Antares

• XR God
    Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 09:14:36 pm
    December 01, 2021, 09:14:36 pm
    Upon further examination it turns out the Ebay ones are a direct copy of the SW motech ones, but SW motech says 22mm, ebay says 25mm, even though they are identical, odd... Either way, if it's good enough for motech and doesn't require cutting, good enough for me... However for anyone that had the SW motech ones, do you need to move the radiator? or is it easy enough to get in there?

But upon even further examination the Givi ones come up much higher.... ughhh too hard to chooosee haha
    Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 09:21:46 pm by Antares

• Offline SimonUK   us

• XR Master  ‐    941

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
    • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
    • Town: Upstate, SC
    Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 12:03:08 am
    December 02, 2021, 12:03:08 am
    *Originally Posted by Antares [+]
    Upon further examination it turns out the Ebay ones are a direct copy of the SW motech ones, but SW motech says 22mm, ebay says 25mm, even though they are identical, odd... Either way, if it's good enough for motech and doesn't require cutting, good enough for me... However for anyone that had the SW motech ones, do you need to move the radiator? or is it easy enough to get in there?

But upon even further examination the Givi ones come up much higher.... ughhh too hard to chooosee haha

I had the OEM BMW bars fitted, and they do look the part and offer good protection. I had  parking lot drop with them, and whilst the saved most of things, I did get scratches on one of the painted panels. I wanted to mount some lights on the crash bars, and GB Racing engine covers(more for the 'blackout' look than protection), but there was no way to mount the pods inboard, or to be able to keep the GB Racing covers.
    I ordered both the Givi and SW Motech, kept the SW Motech (as they were the best looking (to me!). Mounting them is pretty straight forward, and no, the radiator does not have to be loosened (as far as I remember).

• Online Antares   gb

• XR God  ‐    1200

Online Antares

• XR God
    Reply #7 on: December 02, 2021, 12:08:51 am
    December 02, 2021, 12:08:51 am
    *Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
    I had the OEM BMW bars fitted, and they do look the part and offer good protection. I had  parking lot drop with them, and whilst the saved most of things, I did get scratches on one of the painted panels. I wanted to mount some lights on the crash bars, and GB Racing engine covers(more for the 'blackout' look than protection), but there was no way to mount the pods inboard, or to be able to keep the GB Racing covers.
    I ordered both the Givi and SW Motech, kept the SW Motech (as they were the best looking (to me!). Mounting them is pretty straight forward, and no, the radiator does not have to be loosened (as far as I remember).

Ok, I think my plan of attack is this then: Try ebay chinese SW motech copies, if they appear to be weak or have shoddy welds I'll return them and SW motech ones a try. I do like the look of those but I wish they had decent pictures of the GIVI ones too.

• Offline Diavel   la

• XR Pro  ‐    193
    • Topic Author

Offline Diavel

• XR Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Town: Vientiane
    Reply #8 on: December 02, 2021, 02:21:14 am
    December 02, 2021, 02:21:14 am
    *Originally Posted by Antares [+]
    Ok, I think my plan of attack is this then: Try ebay chinese SW motech copies, if they appear to be weak or have shoddy welds I'll return them and SW motech ones a try. I do like the look of those but I wish they had decent pictures of the GIVI ones too.

These are photos of the ones I bought from China on Aliexpress.....you can see the welds etc. They look ok to my untrained eye 😁.Hope it helps. Simon

• Online Antares   gb

• XR God  ‐    1200

Online Antares

• XR God
    Reply #9 on: December 02, 2021, 02:30:45 am
    December 02, 2021, 02:30:45 am
    Yea those look nice, I'm just concerned about the ebay images looking like this:

But then in some places it looks ok:

Otherwise apart from the apparent paint finish this is identical to the one in your aliexpress link.

dysfunctional