Author heart stopping wobble when I fill up!  (Read 1845 times)

• Offline gringogordo   gb

• XR Junior  ‐    14
    • Topic Author

Offline gringogordo

• XR Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
    • Town: Bath
    heart stopping wobble when I fill up!
    on: May 30, 2021, 07:48:41 pm
    May 30, 2021, 07:48:41 pm
    This sounds very weird but I'm sure it's true!  Once in a while my s1000xr won't  start for a few seconds.  I just start getting the cold sweats (my last bike was a speed triple that I got rid of in the end because it randomly wouldn't start at times, although I think I traced it down to an over precious ecu and fixed it with a motobatt battery in the end).  Anyway it seems to me that my issue tends to happen when I fill up with fuel.  So I fill up, pay (sadly...) come back and for about 20 -30 seconds the bike just won't start.  I just start to get my all my failings listed out by the the mrs and then BANG! we are good to go again and all is well.  It's taken me quite a while to realise it happens after fueling so I thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas why it might be (obs my just be that it happens when the bike is warm and I don't stop it briefly many other times ?) 

• Offline Molsal   gb

• XR Pro  ‐    126

Offline Molsal

• XR Pro
    • Bike: S1000XR-TE
    • Town: Flitcham
    Re: heart stopping wobble when I fill up!
    Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 01:00:39 am
    May 31, 2021, 01:00:39 am
    Mine has done the same thing a few times, not after fuelling but after stopping for 5 Min's to change camera battery or have a quick drink etc. Usually goes on the third attempt then won't repeat the issue for ages.

• Online smithy   au

• XR God  ‐    2216

Online smithy

• XR God
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 01:07:58 am
    May 31, 2021, 01:07:58 am
    *Originally Posted by gringogordo [+]
    This sounds very weird but I'm sure it's true!  Once in a while my s1000xr won't  start for a few seconds.  I just start getting the cold sweats (my last bike was a speed triple that I got rid of in the end because it randomly wouldn't start at times, although I think I traced it down to an over precious ecu and fixed it with a motobatt battery in the end).  Anyway it seems to me that my issue tends to happen when I fill up with fuel.  So I fill up, pay (sadly...) come back and for about 20 -30 seconds the bike just won't start.  I just start to get my all my failings listed out by the the mrs and then BANG! we are good to go again and all is well.  It's taken me quite a while to realise it happens after fueling so I thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas why it might be (obs my just be that it happens when the bike is warm and I don't stop it briefly many other times ?)

Gen-1 or Gen-2..?? You don't say which you have...?? The earlier ones did have fuel pump and fuel vapourizing issues.

Smithy.
    Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 01:11:13 am by smithy
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

• Offline gringogordo   gb

• XR Junior  ‐    14
    • Topic Author

Offline gringogordo

• XR Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
    • Town: Bath
    Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 10:16:42 pm
    May 31, 2021, 10:16:42 pm
    Gen 1 (2017). That sounds lie it may be it.  Thanks

• Online smithy   au

• XR God  ‐    2216

Online smithy

• XR God
    Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 12:48:44 am
    June 01, 2021, 12:48:44 am
    *Originally Posted by gringogordo [+]
    Gen 1 (2017). That sounds lie it may be it.  Thanks

Generally it was just the 15 & 16 models...but not unheard of on the later 17>19 ones.

Smithy.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

• Offline Bikerboy636   gb

• XR Member  ‐    33

Offline Bikerboy636

• XR Member
    • Bike: BMW S1000xr
    • Town: Chichester
    Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 03:50:28 pm
    June 01, 2021, 03:50:28 pm
    Check the exhaust valve servo, it may be sticking, if it doesn't do the full sweep it wont start, My dealer swore blind it wont stop it starting, till i proved it to them.
    older bikes it can seize but if partly seized may start sometimes as turning it on and off a few times gets it moving a bit further and it starts.

• Online smithy   au

• XR God  ‐    2216

Online smithy

• XR God
    Reply #6 on: June 02, 2021, 02:20:06 am
    June 02, 2021, 02:20:06 am
    *Originally Posted by Bikerboy636 [+]
    Check the exhaust valve servo, it may be sticking, if it doesn't do the full sweep it wont start, My dealer swore blind it wont stop it starting, till i proved it to them.
    older bikes it can seize but if partly seized may start sometimes as turning it on and off a few times gets it moving a bit further and it starts.

Just glad I don't have one at all :169:

Smithy.

• Offline BooBoo   gb

• XR Member  ‐    19

Offline BooBoo

• XR Member
    Reply #7 on: July 18, 2021, 12:42:05 pm
    July 18, 2021, 12:42:05 pm
    I read about similar on the GS forum, it was deemed to be a vapour lock in the fuel system - the hot engine standing at the pumps while you fill up affecting the fuelling - as your not stood for long at the pumps the vapour lock hasn't had time to clear before you try to start the bike whereas it might clear itself as the bike cools at a cake stop as it is stood for much longer..., that combined with the need for greater power from the battery to get the engine cranking fast enough to shift the vapour lock - a new battery may well help but there may be a fix for the vapour lock too.
    Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 12:43:25 pm by BooBoo