Author Front Fork Oil, Seals and well ... a stupid question :) Cam Chain Tensioner ..  (Read 902 times)

• Offline Oregon_BMW   us

• XR Member  ‐    24
    • Topic Author

Offline Oregon_BMW

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: ‘16 XR ‘22 1250A
    Front Fork Oil, Seals and well ... a stupid question :) Cam Chain Tensioner ..
    on: June 01, 2021, 07:33:45 pm
    June 01, 2021, 07:33:45 pm
    Ok - lie to me if necessary ...

I have a little bit of weeping (from my third marriage) with the front forks. Will try to slide something safe and thin in between the fork seal and the fork tube ... Regardless, I feel like the fork seals should be replaced with 24k miles (2016 bike).

My dopey question relates to ... Can I add fork fluid without disassembly whilst on my unexpected road trip this week?

Any feedback on which Fork Seals I should buy here in the USA?   

Ted's Beemer Suspension shop? Other?

Link Example

https://www.beemershop.com/product/skf-fork-seal-kit-for-bmw-s1000rr-hp4-s1000r-rninet-and-s1000xr.html

Unable to get into the service shop for a couple weeks at least, and see just minimal oil on the fork ... no drips or puddles

Cam-Chain Tensioner ... Mine is just starting to make a little noise, and I'm wondering (Naively) if this is a difficult or expansive (not expensive, but labor intensive) repair ... Valve check completed at 16k miles

Thanks much in advance ... I'll hang up and listen now.

Smiles, Scott

PS - Image of a group of Ducati riders (Leader friend of Cuban Rider) hitting the Devils highway (666) after visiting Silver City, New Mexico

Devils Highway Link - 460 turns in 123 miles ...

https://www.hannaganmeadow.com/scenic-roadway.htm#:~:text=Looking%20for%20a%20new%20adventure,is%20called%20the%20Devil's%20Highway

Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 08:01:33 pm by Oregon_BMW
    Touring the world -> one adventure at a time.
    Home: New Hampshire, Wyoming, New Mexico

• Offline SimonUK   us

• XR Master  ‐    962

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
    • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
    • Town: Upstate, SC
    Re: Front Fork Oil, Seals and well ... a stupid question :) Cam Chain Tensione
    Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 08:00:17 pm
    June 01, 2021, 08:00:17 pm
    Those are the seals I have used, and are pretty well priced as well. Your forks are going to have to be really squirting out oil for them to need you to top them up on a trip. I guess you could unscrew the right fork cap(providing there is no weight on the forks and top it offf a little, the left side(active) is a little more problematic because of the wiring.

As far as cam chains go, if you want to replace the cam chain, then everything has to come off(ala valve check) as well as the 2 camshafts. You will also need the BMW special tool to set the timing after. Other options are the BMW 'Silver' cam chain tensioner, or a manual cam chain tensioner ((APE, etc).

• Offline Oregon_BMW   us

• XR Member  ‐    24
    • Topic Author

Offline Oregon_BMW

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: ‘16 XR ‘22 1250A
    Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 08:15:55 pm
    June 01, 2021, 08:15:55 pm

re: Simon UK
    Thanks very much for the quick feedback - I appreciate it !

Scott

Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 08:16:37 pm by Oregon_BMW
    Touring the world -> one adventure at a time.
    Home: New Hampshire, Wyoming, New Mexico

• Online Antares   gb

• XR God  ‐    1298

Online Antares

• XR God
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    Reply #3 on: June 01, 2021, 08:23:14 pm
    June 01, 2021, 08:23:14 pm
    *Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
    Those are the seals I have used, and are pretty well priced as well. Your forks are going to have to be really squirting out oil for them to need you to top them up on a trip. I guess you could unscrew the right fork cap(providing there is no weight on the forks and top it offf a little, the left side(active) is a little more problematic because of the wiring.

As far as cam chains go, if you want to replace the cam chain, then everything has to come off(ala valve check) as well as the 2 camshafts. You will also need the BMW special tool to set the timing after. Other options are the BMW 'Silver' cam chain tensioner, or a manual cam chain tensioner ((APE, etc).

With a little noise I reckon it's just the good old black hydraulic tensioner getting a bit sticky. Get a manual tensioner and you're done. I've done mine now and all noise is gone, my OEM black tensioner was not moving too freely and I had a fair bit of rattle before going manual. All the manual options will work, up to you how much you want to spend.

dysfunctional