Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New XR owner.  (Read 2647 times)

Offline Rotaxracer

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Essex
New XR owner.
« on: May 09, 2016, 07:14:51 AM »
Hi all, picking up my new XR Sport SE on Saturday and just wanted to say hello and thank you too this forum because without it I may not have bought the bike but you made me see the light!

I originally test rode one last year and liked it, but I got back on my 1200 Multistrada and still liked that but this year fancied a change so test rode one again and took the plunge!

Now there are things I need to address, bar-ends, rad guards framework at the rear off the bike and a tailtidy but that will come in time.

I have gone for the Grey/white/red combo and I have a question on this. The bike in the dealer had a black front mudguard but every other picture I've seen on the Internet has body colour! When I questioned it he said they all come like that and it may be the grey fender is for another market! But I saw some pics off another bike on this forum in the UK with a grey fender! Can anyone else confirm that it should be grey please.

Thanks in advance! I'll let you know how I get on on Saturday.

Offline damodici

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport
  • Town: Nottingham
Re: New XR owner.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 12:51:09 PM »
Im sure you'll love the bike, its not a Vtwin but that doesn't mean much, it'll be smoother overall i can assure you and its ridiculous easy to ride.

As for the fender I'm not sure, personally Id probably opt for black given the choice as it'd break it up more but i can't comment on different markets

Anyway, fingers crossed for saturday :152:

Offline grnmtvt

• XR Pro
  • Town: Essex Junction
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 03:43:57 AM »
Congrats on the new ride and welcome to the forum!!   :305:
Many people ride.....but for a select group of people it's more than a ride....it's one of life's great passions.

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Kildare
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 12:25:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rotaxracer [+]
I'll let you know how I get on on Saturday.

:400:

Well ?
Are you delighted with it ?
Or have you not stopped riding it since you got it ?

Offline Rotaxracer

• XR Junior
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 04:07:25 PM »
Hi Jockser, I got on really well! Dealer was fantastic! Had everything really for me, Nav 5 was fitted the bike and the bike was in the showroom with my name on, all the paperwork was ready! Very efficient!

He showed me through all of technical stuff on the bike and then it was time too get the 600 miles on sharp because I need the first service done on the 28th as I'm off to the TT!

Well that wasn't a hardship! Great bike! Agile and smooth! Gear shift assist is amazing! Got 130 miles on her on Saturday, got home and set about fitting a few bits I ordered from Evotech, rad guards, bar-ends, tailtidy and some paddock stand bobbins all sorted!

Then it came to fitting some levers! Well the brake one was ok! The clutch one was a problem! Now I though I'd researched this properly so I ordered some V-trec variable ones but not the folding ones which I thought some guys on the forums had said would fit ok! Well they don't! The cable angle entering the lever is wrong so they will go back.

What have you guys fitted? I'm looking at the synto ones which are on the Wunderlich website.

So Sunday morning I get out early, met a friend of mine and found some Roads that the XR absolutely flies through! I do another 130 miles! Mates on a sports bike so he wants to stop and take a break all the time! I get home and cleaning the bike I notice a bloody great big screw through the rear tyre! Bollocks! Lucky for me it was in the centre and I got it sorted to day!

Even that couldn't spoil my weekend! Love the bike!

Offline damodici

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport
  • Town: Nottingham
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 07:37:33 PM »
Hi Jockser, I got on really well! Dealer was fantastic! Had everything really for me, Nav 5 was fitted the bike and the bike was in the showroom with my name on, all the paperwork was ready! Very efficient!

He showed me through all of technical stuff on the bike and then it was time too get the 600 miles on sharp because I need the first service done on the 28th as I'm off to the TT!

Well that wasn't a hardship! Great bike! Agile and smooth! Gear shift assist is amazing! Got 130 miles on her on Saturday, got home and set about fitting a few bits I ordered from Evotech, rad guards, bar-ends, tailtidy and some paddock stand bobbins all sorted!

Then it came to fitting some levers! Well the brake one was ok! The clutch one was a problem! Now I though I'd researched this properly so I ordered some V-trec variable ones but not the folding ones which I thought some guys on the forums had said would fit ok! Well they don't! The cable angle entering the lever is wrong so they will go back.

What have you guys fitted? I'm looking at the synto ones which are on the Wunderlich website.

So Sunday morning I get out early, met a friend of mine and found some Roads that the XR absolutely flies through! I do another 130 miles! Mates on a sports bike so he wants to stop and take a break all the time! I get home and cleaning the bike I notice a bloody great big screw through the rear tyre! ! Lucky for me it was in the centre and I got it sorted to day!

Even that couldn't spoil my weekend! Love the bike!

I was out on mine Saturday morning and Sunday, it's epic.

Sunday morning was a great test as I tagged on to some riding buddies of a bloke I know, all very very decent riders (ex police and instructors I think), they took us through some lovely back lanes throughout Grantham / Melton way and even at a serious lick on the XR was flawless

Offline bagwafu

• XR Pro
  • Town: South Central
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 09:12:27 PM »

The longer V-Trec levers seem to be causing some issues.  I have the shortys and they are absolutely fine.

Glad you are enjoying the bike.  Great time of year to start riding it as well.  I did all winter on mine which was fun, however now the Spring has arrived its just getting 'funner'. lol
S1000XR SE Sport

Offline GeekDroid

• XR Member
  • Town: Coatesville PA
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 06:43:11 PM »
The Spiegler\ABM Synto levers, short and long, work great.  No cable sawing issue where it goes through the hole.  The only thing I found at the closest setting of 1, if you pull the lever to the handle bar it bumps the headlight switch slightly if it's in the high beam mode.

Offline Rotaxracer

• XR Junior
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 08:55:56 PM »
Thanks for the info GeekDroid, I will order some ASAP.

Fitted a high level Mivv Suono today, looks much better than stock and sounds awesome with the core out! Not managed to try it out on the road yet so I will report back when I have done so!

dysfunctional