Author Topic: Gen 2 Hill Start Control  (Read 1031 times)

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000XR 2021 TE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
Gen 2 Hill Start Control
on: June 21, 2021, 04:00:34 PM
Have my HSC set to Manual as advised by the dealer but although I have had the bike for 6 months and covered 2500 miles I dont think that the HSC has ever actually done anything. Its not a big issue as I can easily do hill starts without this feature.

Am I doing something wrong? The instructions in the manual are not that helpful.
PSH

Offline scotti

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR TE 2020
  • Town: Teesside
Re: Gen 2 Hill Start Control
Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 04:42:08 PM
When activated it pops up a 'H' in the top left of the dash.  If you're not seeing that it is not working.  My HHC wasn't activated until the first service when I queried the function.  Maybe the same with yours?
Regards
Scotti

Offline LeDuke

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR (2021)
Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 04:53:48 PM
Hi Paul,
If your hill start is set to manual, then it means that you have to activate it manually on a hill.
This is done when you come to a complete stop, you then depress the brake lever a little further than normal and hold it for a few seconds and the green H will appear.
I tried my best to use this feature manually and it was a bloody pain in the ass.

So, I set it the Hill Assist to "Automatic" in the settings menu.
I can say that it works quite intuitively. once I come to a stop it understands the gradient (uphill or downhill) and takes over the brake pressure allowing me to let go of the front or rear brake.
I didnt find it instrusive; and I am very fussy with retaining complete control over my bike especially the brakes.

Hope that helps.

Offline BobT

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR, R1250RS
  • Town: Perigueux
Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 07:06:15 PM
Both ours are set to Automatic despite what the dealer tells us to do. They work as expected and are a valuable aid when riding in hilly areas.

Offline the bartender

• XR Member
  • Town: Vancouver
Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 08:10:28 PM
as described above, when set to Manual.
squeeze brake lever a bit harder than normal, and you will see a green icon when it engages.
squeeze brake lever again to dis-engage.

If you turn the bike off it will disengage, and the icon turns grey.
you cant enable it if the bike is not running.

Offline BNAHOSS

• XR Member
  • Bike: ‘21 XR
  • Town: Nashville, TN
Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 01:20:34 AM
*Originally Posted by PaulS1000XR [+]
Have my HSC set to Manual as advised by the dealer but although I have had the bike for 6 months and covered 2500 miles I dint think that the HSC has ever actually done anything. Its not a big issue as I can easily do hill starts without this feature.

Am I doing something wrong? The instructions in the manual are not that helpful.

At a stop, pull the front brake hard, the “H” should light on the dash. I find it pretty useful.
stupidity has a knack of getting its way ~ Albert Camus

Offline herveyw

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Seattle
Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 06:33:28 AM
*Originally Posted by BNAHOSS [+]
At a stop, pull the front brake hard, the “H” should light on the dash. I find it pretty useful.

I had mine on auto but found it a bit too invasive, damned if I can get the manual mode to work  :013:

Offline esso_sa

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Sarajevo
Reply #7 on: June 25, 2021, 07:54:27 AM
Mine is set to Manual because I want HSC to engage  only when I want it to.
I usually stop, release the brake and then quickly squeeze it again to engage HSC.
Or you can stop, keep the front brake squeezed and then shortly press the rear brake pedal. This too will engage HSC

Offline MelbXR

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SPORT
Reply #8 on: June 25, 2021, 11:15:54 PM
I have mine set to manual but use it very, very rarely.

Found in the early days of owning the bike that it was a bit to enthusiastic to engage and then held on for a little too long.

Have previously found it works really well on bikes that actually have some torque below 3k rpm, not so much on these things IMO. Still handy to have occasionally though.
Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 11:16:50 PM by MelbXR

Offline wood

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Atlanta
Reply #9 on: July 03, 2021, 09:28:12 PM
Hill Start Control - or brake assist is really an acquired taste.  I would suggest that you go into settings menu and activate it - and then try it.  Once you get used to it you might find that you like it - all you really have to deal with is the throttle and clutch.  If you don't like it or it is too intrusive, turn it off. 

I found it to be a fantastic feature on my K1600GTL - lots of weight to hold and balance at a stop, especially with a passenger and tail trunk.

On my S1000XR - I never really thought about it much.  Noticed the symbol on the dash - which triggered my brain to actively take advantage of it making many parts of riding more comfortable.  I enjoyed it in traffic and found that I could concentrate on the vehicles around me more and what they were doing that would affect me on the bike.  Stopping at intersections or at lights/stop signs on roads that are on a hill - nice.

De-activation while riding is simple - either release the clutch and add throttle; or an active, hard pull on the front brake. 

I am actually glad that BMW provided the option and that they also made it part of the menu system allowing the rider to turn it off if it bothered them.  Many of the more modern cars incorporate hill-stop functions.  I have not heard of anyone asking their dealer to turn it off.

Try it - you might like it. 
 :015:

dysfunctional