Author Odd symbol on the dash  (Read 1732 times)

• Offline Gazk   gb

• XR Master  ‐    588
    • Topic Author

Offline Gazk

• XR Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: S1000xr M-Sport
    • Town: Leicester
    Odd symbol on the dash
    on: June 29, 2021, 12:47:39 pm
    June 29, 2021, 12:47:39 pm
    Hey all,

I picked up my new Gen 2 XR M-sport the other week “why does it always rain for weeks after I get a new bike” anyway all’s going well, got down to two bars on the tank, riding home all good then this odd symbol pops up on the dash after about five minutes of riding.

Thought nothing off it more then I wander if it’s like a low fuel warning light, ok hands up I’ve not read the user manual cover to cover yet. 

Filled up the symbol goes Hum ok cool that’s what it must be then, home is only a mile away if that.

Next day get the bike out to come to work and after about five minutes of riding it’s back?  :187:

It then dawns on me I’d install the BMW rider’s App on my phone it's that!

OMG could they have made it a little bigger.  :004:

https://photos.s1000xr.uk/image/FPg7G

it's the Fing big white square next to the speed  :260:
    After over thirty + years behind the bars, there's still lots to do and see.

• Offline BobT   fr

• XR Pro  ‐    198

Offline BobT

• XR Pro
    • Bike: S1000XR, R1250RS
    • Town: Perigueux
    Re: Odd symbol on the dash
    Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 12:53:11 pm
    June 29, 2021, 12:53:11 pm
    Just means that your phone is connected but you either don't have the connected app installed or don't have the maps installed. It would normally show you the speed limit for the road that you are riding.

• Offline Gazk   gb

• XR Master  ‐    588
    • Topic Author

Offline Gazk

• XR Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 02:55:08 pm
    June 29, 2021, 02:55:08 pm
    yep I think it just takes a bit of time for the App to connect to the TFT, reading the manual sometime if your phone is in your hip pocket the TFT may not pick up as the signal is blocked by the tank.  :138:

• Offline BobT   fr

• XR Pro  ‐    198

Offline BobT

• XR Pro
    Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 04:35:41 pm
    June 29, 2021, 04:35:41 pm
    *Originally Posted by Gazk [+]
    yep I think it just takes a bit of time for the App to connect to the TFT, reading the manual sometime if your phone is in your hip pocket the TFT may not pick up as the signal is blocked by the tank.  :138:
    If you look at the picture posted then you will see that the phone is connected to the dash. The white square also tells you that.
    Did you download the maps on the phone?
    Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 04:36:22 pm by BobT

• Offline Gazk   gb

• XR Master  ‐    588
    • Topic Author

Offline Gazk

• XR Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 05:06:41 pm
    June 29, 2021, 05:06:41 pm
    Nope not as yet I've not down laded the maps, I'm still trying to get everything connected so everything works, EG: TFT, my headset, Nav6, Phone and passengers headset so we can both hear the Nav6.

• Offline BobT   fr

• XR Pro  ‐    198

Offline BobT

• XR Pro
    Reply #5 on: June 29, 2021, 06:16:55 pm
    June 29, 2021, 06:16:55 pm
    That is the reason for the white box then. The TFT cannot see the maps through the phone so does not know the speed limit on the road that you are riding.

• Offline runnerhiker   us

• XR Pro  ‐    215

Offline runnerhiker

• XR Pro
    • Bike: '19 S1000XR
    • Town: Niwot CO USA
    Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 10:05:44 pm
    June 29, 2021, 10:05:44 pm
    Correct on the comment about the maps.  But also, the "location" settings on the phone for the Connected App must be set to "always".  If it's set to "while the App is on", it still won't work right, the white rectangle appears but no speed limit will be shown.  And if it's set to "never" the white rectangle won't appear.

The Connected App is pretty neat about many things, but there are a few things that still don't work right.  Back to the "location" settings, for me, it does not work right if it's set to "while the App is on".  If I leave it on "always" it consumes phone battery like crazy when I am not on the bike, so I have to switch it from "never" to "always" all the time.  If the "location" is on "always" and I am off the bike, the Connect App tries to find the TFT and that's what consumes phone battery.  The phone will give me a message that goes something like this "The Connect App has tried to find the TFT 500 times in the last few hours".  That's not an exact quote but as best as I can remember.
    '19 S1000XR
    '20 R1250 RS
    '22 Kawasaki ZH2

• Offline BobT   fr

• XR Pro  ‐    198

Offline BobT

• XR Pro
    Reply #7 on: June 30, 2021, 08:15:02 am
    June 30, 2021, 08:15:02 am
    *Originally Posted by runnerhiker [+]
    Correct on the comment about the maps.  But also, the "location" settings on the phone for the Connected App must be set to "always".  If it's set to "while the App is on", it still won't work right, the white rectangle appears but no speed limit will be shown.  And if it's set to "never" the white rectangle won't appear.

The Connected App is pretty neat about many things, but there are a few things that still don't work right.  Back to the "location" settings, for me, it does not work right if it's set to "while the App is on".  If I leave it on "always" it consumes phone battery like crazy when I am not on the bike, so I have to switch it from "never" to "always" all the time.  If the "location" is on "always" and I am off the bike, the Connect App tries to find the TFT and that's what consumes phone battery.  The phone will give me a message that goes something like this "The Connect App has tried to find the TFT 500 times in the last few hours".  That's not an exact quote but as best as I can remember.
    I'll bet that you are using an iphone, that does not happen on either of our Android phones.

• Offline Gazk   gb

• XR Master  ‐    588
    • Topic Author

Offline Gazk

• XR Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #8 on: June 30, 2021, 10:13:35 am
    June 30, 2021, 10:13:35 am
    Thanks all, for the information, like I say I'm new ish, to some of the finer details of the BMW App and the TFT but I'm working thought it all.

runnerhiker LOL iPhone just love to be on charge all the time, I'm on my third SE supplied by work in two years the battery are just crap, I'd not spend my money on one.
    On the charging I see there is a handy USB port under the seat with room for a phone so on the loner trips that would work.

On the phone I did take a call this morning "just work" thought the TFT very neat the display, I like how the contact come's up nice and big and you can either take or reject the call just about loud enough to here in traffic. My Gen 1 it was the satnav that handled the calls and it was a bit of a fiddle to take the call sometimes.

• Offline runnerhiker   us

• XR Pro  ‐    215

Offline runnerhiker

• XR Pro
    • Bike: '19 S1000XR
    • Town: Niwot CO USA
    Reply #9 on: June 30, 2021, 10:58:45 pm
    June 30, 2021, 10:58:45 pm
    *Originally Posted by BobT [+]
    I'll bet that you are using an iphone, that does not happen on either of our Android phones.

Yeah, I have an iPhone.
    '19 S1000XR
    '20 R1250 RS
    '22 Kawasaki ZH2