Author Gen 2 redemption - 2nd test ride  (Read 1956 times)

• Offline jakebake   gb

• XR Pro  ‐    135
    • Topic Author

Offline jakebake

• XR Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: s1000xr
    • Town: warwick
    Gen 2 redemption - 2nd test ride
    on: July 09, 2021, 06:48:19 pm
    July 09, 2021, 06:48:19 pm
    My first test ride of the gen 2 back in November did not impress mainly due to the engine characteristics .  I then tried the multistrada v4 and did not like it either as it handled  like a bus compared to the XR and definably don’t like the last option of a twin cylinder bike , so my well earned money stayed in the bank.
    In April I decided to give the Gen 2 XR  another go and the bike really impressed me especially the engine ?!!  It was completely different to the other gen 2 demo bike  I rode in November , it does have power low down and really pulls hard at the top .
    I told the bmw sales guy and he said there are a lot more electronics on the gen 2 with lots of settings and options  and maybe the first test bike had most of them “dumbed down”.  We discussed financial figures and did the deal on a new m sport XR

I did 30k miles on my gen 1 and loved every minute and the best way to sum up the difference between the gen 1 and 2 is that when you ride the gen 1 , its always in control and no matter if you want to go for a “normal” ride, within 5 minutes the bike says bollocks to that  I am going to take you for a qualifying lap ride every time.
    With the gen 2 , if you want to go for a “normal ride” the bike says great , one normal ride coming up. Then  if you decide you want a “qualifying lap” outing, then believe me the gen2  will take you for one just by twisting the throttle a little  more

Couple of other notes….

very much like the fact you can alter the engine braking
    Not sure about the throttle action as in some gears nothing happens during the 1st 20% of throttle turn , apparently brentune can sort this ?
    Still messing around with the seat, it’s easy to take the cover off and add more foam or whatever and the cover will still pull over even with 30mm foam  ( don’t try memory foam )
    Wunderlich bar risers make it feel a bit more like the gen 1, just be sure to loosen the electronic cables on the left switch gear and then reclip when the bar risers are in place

• Offline Winger   gb

• XR God  ‐    3522

Offline Winger

• XR God
    • Town: Birmingham
    Re: Gen 2 redemption - 2nd test ride
    Reply #1 on: July 09, 2021, 07:38:49 pm
    July 09, 2021, 07:38:49 pm
    Looks nice enough  👍

• Offline Gazk   gb

• XR Master  ‐    596

Offline Gazk

• XR Master
    • Bike: S1000xr M-Sport
    • Town: Leicester
    Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 12:41:52 pm
    July 12, 2021, 12:41:52 pm
    Like the right up, to me the Gen 2 it's 10 ~ 20% better all over from the Gen 1 the gear box is 25% better, I like the cruise control function set it at a speed as you come into a village or slow speed tap the Clutch it all slows down then click the button back and just kick up the gears as you come out of the village it's like an automatic. Supper smooth for two up riding.

I've just done the first about 300 miles in short runs all of it two up, love the Gen 2 maybe 42% of lean angel is a bit much two up but hoping for better.

Off over to Aberystwyth in two weeks back home for a day or two then North Devon for a few days then quick service, then three weeks later up to the Isle of Whithorn for a week round the bottom of the West of Scotland, should bang the miles in.

I'm still trying to work out the best combination on all the bluetooth devices, sometimes it all works and others not it's doing my head in :112:
    After over thirty + years behind the bars, there's still lots to do and see.

• Offline Becksy   gb

• XR Master  ‐    501

Offline Becksy

• XR Master
    • Bike: S1000XR (2016)
    • Town: Warwickshire
    Reply #3 on: July 12, 2021, 05:04:51 pm
    July 12, 2021, 05:04:51 pm
    I agree with that assessment. Took one out last year for a short ride and was 'meh'. Took one out a couple of weeks ago for a few hours, and it is that little bit better in most departments except the seat. Though this time I popped my Airhawk on it and it was absolutely fine for several hours. Most notable difference is the mid-range. Though have decided not to swap this year, cannot really justify the outlay. Love my Gen 1. Will just have to ride mine a bit further up the rev range  :152:

• Offline Antares   gb

• XR God  ‐    1087

Offline Antares

• XR God
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    Reply #4 on: July 12, 2021, 05:54:07 pm
    July 12, 2021, 05:54:07 pm
    *Originally Posted by Becksy [+]
    I agree with that assessment. Took one out last year for a short ride and was 'meh'. Took one out a couple of weeks ago for a few hours, and it is that little bit better in most departments except the seat. Though this time I popped my Airhawk on it and it was absolutely fine for several hours. Most notable difference is the mid-range. Though have decided not to swap this year, cannot really justify the outlay. Love my Gen 1. Will just have to ride mine a bit further up the rev range  :152:

I think there are a lot of tiny quality of life improvements that are just convenient, but not necessary, I think as a bike, it's performance is identical to the Gen 1 it just has a few nice little extras like: Cornering lights, that sexy display, automatic preload instead of manual, with options to min-max it, nicer luggage grid, Stock adjustable clutch lever, easy flip screen. Little things like this can't justify exchanging a Gen 1 (unless you were already going to do it) but they do definitely make a noticeable quality of life improvement. Headlight is damn sexy in the mirrors too.

• Offline Momo1970

• XR Member  ‐    29

Offline Momo1970

• XR Member
    Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 02:12:17 am
    July 13, 2021, 02:12:17 am
    I totally agree with the write up. The first gen has only one mode: super fast. The second gen is more versatile and refined. I also find gen 2 to be easier to ride fast due to more aggressive riding position. You can feel it when you ride the bikes back to back.

• Offline Winger   gb

• XR God  ‐    3522

Offline Winger

• XR God
    • Town: Birmingham
    Reply #6 on: July 13, 2021, 08:48:25 am
    July 13, 2021, 08:48:25 am
    It’s interesting reading the posts, I remember the very first time I rode my X/R as i’d Never demo’d one before buying, and on my return home thought it was the best starting point i’d Ever had with a bike, all my bikes are a million miles away from stock, I know what I want and how to get it and just grin and bare the cost along the way.

Bike manufacturers have to play the game and stick to the TUV rules we don’t....but for you guys who can’t/won’t go to the trouble of such then it’s just a case of waiting for the next model, yes sure from the techy add on’s their are some interesting gizmo’s, but bizzarly from my point of view my X/R is that good..ie easy to ride I hardly ride the dam thing and wheel other stuff out of the garage that requires more effort.

While the list isn’t all that long...Dymags/Akra headers/MIVV/Power Commander/KN/Wilbers/gearing change, I’ll ignore the bling bits that make no difference...and the biggest hassle I had was the seat, never had the standard one it came new with the high HP option and was never happy with that, got lucky bought a custom one off eBay,after a couple others and it’s a keeper..oh it’s taller than the HP.

I’ve trodden the same path with a KTM GT but jeez it’s no where near as easy/convenient to ride as the X/R but in fairness can be as much fun...could be even better if I could get rid of the poxy electric suspension but that’s a story for another day.

• Offline Momo1970

• XR Member  ‐    29

Offline Momo1970

• XR Member
    Reply #7 on: July 13, 2021, 02:27:24 pm
    July 13, 2021, 02:27:24 pm
    The suspension of gen 2 are more advanced. I still prefer completely manual high quality  after market suspension, but its a nice upgrade over gen 1.