Author Newbie  (Read 1008 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • Offline Maple28   gb

    • XR Junior  ‐    3
    • *
    • Topic Author

    Offline Maple28

    • XR Junior
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 3
    • Bike: F800GT
    • Town: Cambridge
    • Country: gb
    Newbie
    on: July 09, 2021, 08:25:55 pm
    July 09, 2021, 08:25:55 pm
    Hi. New here and looking for advice on getting an S1000XR. Currently have an F800GT and never really had a lot of love for it so it’s time to dump it!
    I’ve heard lots of good about the XR and a couple of horror stories, so any advice will be much appreciated. Please bear in mind I came to biking quite late in life (50 when I got my first bike 6 years ago) and am not at all mechanically minded.
    I’m looking at 2016/17 models.
    TIA and thanks for having me.
    ML

  • Offline Antares   gb

    • XR God  ‐    1084
    • *****
      #1

    Offline Antares

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 1084
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    • Country: gb
    Re: Newbie
    Reply #1 on: July 09, 2021, 09:05:53 pm
    July 09, 2021, 09:05:53 pm
    *Originally Posted by Maple28 [+]
    Hi. New here and looking for advice on getting an S1000XR. Currently have an F800GT and never really had a lot of love for it so it’s time to dump it!
    I’ve heard lots of good about the XR and a couple of horror stories, so any advice will be much appreciated. Please bear in mind I came to biking quite late in life (50 when I got my first bike 6 years ago) and am not at all mechanically minded.
    I’m looking at 2016/17 models.
    TIA and thanks for having me.
    ML

    if you're looking at 16-17, get the 17+, few niggles sorted out, only real common issue is the cam chain tensioner, and even that's a relatively minor issue , that's easily and cheaply fixable. Apart from that I have a very early (1st production run) 2015 model I bought with 15K, now has 21K and it's been absolutely bullet proof thus far. Everything else is normal wear and tear. Dynamic/Dynamic Pro is BMW's gift from the gods to us lowly earthlings. How they got that roaring, popping exhaust through Euro 4 is absolutely beyond me. I'd say you're looking at similar, but roomier and much more upright ergos to the F800GT but at the same time handles like a scalpel compared to the whale the GT is. Probably not as smooth, but that's down to how sensitive one is, however if you test ride one and find the vibes too much, try another one. It varies a fair bit bike to bike. It's also rather economical. Servicing is expensive but not ridiculous, definitely nothing surprising compared to the GT but it's relatively ok on consumables, rear tyres are a bit up there due to the big size, but it makes up for it with very simple basic servicing, chain and sprocket, easy brakes, easy oil and air filter. Only thing that's an issue is brake fluids require a diagnostic tool to cycle the ABS pump.

    Things to watch out for when buying: Either buy well under 18k or over, but make sure the big service is done, will save you a couple hundred quid, make sure the bike is fully specced and comes with everything, most do, but sometimes cheeky sellers will try to sell base models at Sport SE prices (D-ESA, ABS Pro, DTC, Quick shifter, cruise control, Daylight running lights, LED indicators, 4 riding modes inc Dynamic Pro). If you can manage also try to get one with extras, usually their costs don't show up on the used market, but bagging one with bar ends, rad guard, crash protection, boxes, navi, is like 1.5k in extras if not more.

    Good luck, and I guarantee you'll be drooling over this bike once you ride it!  :028:

  • Offline Winger   gb

    • XR God  ‐    3522
    • *****
      #2

    Offline Winger

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 3522
    • Town: Birmingham
    • Country: gb
    Re: Newbie
    Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 09:32:09 pm
    July 09, 2021, 09:32:09 pm
    *Originally Posted by Maple28 [+]
    Hi. New here and looking for advice on getting an S1000XR. Currently have an F800GT and never really had a lot of love for it so it’s time to dump it!
    I’ve heard lots of good about the XR and a couple of horror stories, so any advice will be much appreciated. Please bear in mind I came to biking quite late in life (50 when I got my first bike 6 years ago) and am not at all mechanically minded.
    I’m looking at 2016/17 models.
    TIA and thanks for having me.
    ML

    Blimey you did get into the game late in life, so your going to be on a steep learning curve in more ways than one..., question...if your not mechanically minded who looks after your 800?

  • Offline Maple28   gb

    • XR Junior  ‐    3
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • #3

    Offline Maple28

    • XR Junior
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 3
    • Bike: F800GT
    • Town: Cambridge
    • Country: gb
    Re: Newbie
    Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 10:14:21 pm
    July 09, 2021, 10:14:21 pm
    *Originally Posted by Antares [+]
    if you're looking at 16-17, get the 17+, few niggles sorted out, only real common issue is the cam chain tensioner, and even that's a relatively minor issue , that's easily and cheaply fixable. Apart from that I have a very early (1st production run) 2015 model I bought with 15K, now has 21K and it's been absolutely bullet proof thus far. Everything else is normal wear and tear. Dynamic/Dynamic Pro is BMW's gift from the gods to us lowly earthlings. How they got that roaring, popping exhaust through Euro 4 is absolutely beyond me. I'd say you're looking at similar, but roomier and much more upright ergos to the F800GT but at the same time handles like a scalpel compared to the whale the GT is. Probably not as smooth, but that's down to how sensitive one is, however if you test ride one and find the vibes too much, try another one. It varies a fair bit bike to bike. It's also rather economical. Servicing is expensive but not ridiculous, definitely nothing surprising compared to the GT but it's relatively ok on consumables, rear tyres are a bit up there due to the big size, but it makes up for it with very simple basic servicing, chain and sprocket, easy brakes, easy oil and air filter. Only thing that's an issue is brake fluids require a diagnostic tool to cycle the ABS pump.

    Things to watch out for when buying: Either buy well under 18k or over, but make sure the big service is done, will save you a couple hundred quid, make sure the bike is fully specced and comes with everything, most do, but sometimes cheeky sellers will try to sell base models at Sport SE prices (D-ESA, ABS Pro, DTC, Quick shifter, cruise control, Daylight running lights, LED indicators, 4 riding modes inc Dynamic Pro). If you can manage also try to get one with extras, usually their costs don't show up on the used market, but bagging one with bar ends, rad guard, crash protection, boxes, navi, is like 1.5k in extras if not more.

    Good luck, and I guarantee you'll be drooling over this bike once you ride it!  :028:

    Thanks for that. I’m hoping to find one with lots and whistles and bells and I do want panniers. I can transfer my box if need be and really not worried about sat nav. Hope to seriously start looking in a couple of weeks. There seems to be quite a few coming on the market recently so hoping they stick around!

  • Offline Maple28   gb

    • XR Junior  ‐    3
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • #4

    Offline Maple28

    • XR Junior
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 3
    • Bike: F800GT
    • Town: Cambridge
    • Country: gb
    Re: Newbie
    Reply #4 on: July 09, 2021, 10:18:06 pm
    July 09, 2021, 10:18:06 pm
    *Originally Posted by Winger [+]
    Blimey you did get into the game late in life, so your going to be on a steep learning curve in more ways than one..., question...if your not mechanically minded who looks after your 800?

    Mid life crisis 🤣
    What I meant by not mechanically minded was when people start talking about the intricacies of bikes- engine types etc- I’m lost then!  I can tackle basic stuff and the 800gt is belt driven which is maintenance free.

  • Offline Winger   gb

    • XR God  ‐    3522
    • *****
      #5

    Offline Winger

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 3522
    • Town: Birmingham
    • Country: gb
    Re: Newbie
    Reply #5 on: July 10, 2021, 07:27:54 am
    July 10, 2021, 07:27:54 am
    I’d be working backwards...who is going to look after the bike if your not, at the age you are looking at either you or someone else will need access to a GS-911, fairly unusual for BM dealers to sell bikes that old but they would be my first port of call, before having to look else where.

    As for spec, just a case of seeing what turns up, as you will see from my posts on here my X/R is non ESA, and having bought another make of bike 18 months ago with electric sus, I certainly have reservations in the long term could certainly turn into a financial black hole.

    What i’d Forgot to mention non ESA have black forks, having not looked at secondhand X/R’s for a long time some interesting variables on Bike Trader and EBay, best of look.
    Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 11:03:47 am by Winger

     



    dysfunctional