Author Double White Lines  (Read 4804 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • Offline Winger   gb

    • XR God  ‐    3522
    • *****
    • Topic Author

    Offline Winger

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 3522
    • Town: Birmingham
    • Country: gb
    Double White Lines
    on: July 15, 2021, 08:09:00 pm
    July 15, 2021, 08:09:00 pm
    Was out on the Welsh coast today..fully loaded car with retrievers etc in the back..to say I was astonished at the number of bikers I saw today over taking on double white line frankly was astonishing, which coming from me with rap sheet for speeding literally as long as your arm...i’m Hardly the most law abiding citizen.

  • Offline RyanGTXR   gb

    • XR Pro  ‐    330
    • ***
      #1

    Offline RyanGTXR

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 330
    • Bike: KTM 1290 GT
    • Town: Notts
    • Country: gb
    Re: Double White Lines
    Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 11:12:35 pm
    July 15, 2021, 11:12:35 pm
    Is that not the motorcycle lane then?  :008: :008: :008:

  • Online bobdave   gb

    • XR Pro  ‐    186
    • ***
      #2

    Online bobdave

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 186
    • Bike: BMW S100XR
    • Town: Bournemouth
    • Country: gb
    Re: Double White Lines
    Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 10:39:04 am
    July 17, 2021, 10:39:04 am
    if the police catch you crossing the solid line you are very unlikely to get away with a warning as they generally regard this as worse than speeding and many other driving offences.

  • Offline philbuck   gb

    • XR Pro  ‐    220
    • ***
      #3

    Offline philbuck

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 220
    • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
    • Town: Cheshire
    • Country: gb
    Re: Double White Lines
    Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 11:49:16 am
    July 17, 2021, 11:49:16 am
    Don't forget, points make prizes, and if you get enough points, you get a free bicycle  :008: :008:

  • Offline Gazk   gb

    • XR Master  ‐    595
    • ****
      #4

    Offline Gazk

    • XR Master
    • ****
    • Posts: 595
    • Bike: S1000xr M-Sport
    • Town: Leicester
    • Country: gb
    Re: Double White Lines
    Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 12:39:40 pm
    July 19, 2021, 12:39:40 pm
    it's not the point's of the fine that's the problem it's having to eat all your food thought a tube for the rest of your life that stops me unless it's lawful and safe.
    After over thirty + years behind the bars, there's still lots to do and see.

  • Offline BobT   fr

    • XR Pro  ‐    198
    • ***
      #5

    Offline BobT

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 198
    • Bike: S1000XR, R1250RS
    • Town: Perigueux
    • Country: fr
    Re: Double White Lines
    Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 02:01:54 pm
    July 19, 2021, 02:01:54 pm
    *Originally Posted by Gazk [+]
    it's not the point's of the fine that's the problem it's having to eat all your food thought a tube for the rest of your life that stops me unless it's lawful and safe.

    If that is your only reason then perhaps it is time to hang up your helmet. Motorcycling is dangerous, but the double lines will not kill you.

  • Offline sipaldi   england

    • XR Pro  ‐    125
    • ***
      #6

    Offline sipaldi

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 125
    • Bike: SPORT SE HP
    • Country: england
    Re: Double White Lines
    Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 11:51:39 am
    July 20, 2021, 11:51:39 am
     I was talking to a native of North wales yesterday as my bike was being serviced. He said the place is packed, the roads are clogged etc. Obviously down to holidaying abroad being heavily restricted and a gamble getting back without quarantine.  I imagine groups of riders heading into wales for a blast and finding the roads packed. Frustration soon creeps in and they end up taking risks they shouldn't.
          Sadly the space on the roads is at an all time premium currently. We can't easily bog off to Mainland Europe with them either.

  • Online wessie   gb

    • XR Master  ‐    618
    • ****
      #7

    Online wessie

    • XR Master
    • ****
    • Posts: 618
    • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
    • Town: Cheltenham
    • Country: gb
    Re: Double White Lines
    Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 12:20:37 pm
    July 20, 2021, 12:20:37 pm
    *Originally Posted by sipaldi [+]
    I was talking to a native of North wales yesterday as my bike was being serviced. He said the place is packed, the roads are clogged etc. Obviously down to holidaying abroad being heavily restricted and a gamble getting back without quarantine.  I imagine groups of riders heading into wales for a blast and finding the roads packed. Frustration soon creeps in and they end up taking risks they shouldn't.
          Sadly the space on the roads is at an all time premium currently. We can't easily bog off to Mainland Europe with them either.

    there is an element of what you say but riders should have a bit more imagination and brush up on their map skills. There are loads of minor roads that have a lot less traffic but people stick to the A5, A470, Horseshoe Pass etc.

    North Wales is a bit far for me for a day trip but I often visit Mid & South Wales but I have the advantage of being a native, born in Ceredigion and a former resident of Monmouthshire, so I know where to head of the main routes are busy or closed.

    Not sure everyone would have enjoyed the road I was on Saturday, this was rather steep with grass in the middle but the views across to the Brecon Beacons were stunning
    https://goo.gl/maps/Xr6hxrQBgq4KAx7u5

    I apply the same method in my new home in the Cotswolds. Lanes are more fun than the main roads.
    Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 12:21:17 pm by wessie

  • Offline Gazk   gb

    • XR Master  ‐    595
    • ****
      #8

    Offline Gazk

    • XR Master
    • ****
    • Posts: 595
    • Bike: S1000xr M-Sport
    • Town: Leicester
    • Country: gb
    Re: Double White Lines
    Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 12:48:11 pm
    July 20, 2021, 12:48:11 pm
    *Originally Posted by BobT [+]
    If that is your only reason then perhaps it is time to hang up your helmet. Motorcycling is dangerous, but the double lines will not kill you.

    The UK Highway codes states: 129

    "Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.
    Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 26"

    You can cross them but only if it is legal and safe, as I said!

    I get you may not be in the UK and laws are different all over the world.
    After over thirty + years behind the bars, there's still lots to do and see.

  • Offline BobT   fr

    • XR Pro  ‐    198
    • ***
      #9

    Offline BobT

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 198
    • Bike: S1000XR, R1250RS
    • Town: Perigueux
    • Country: fr
    Re: Double White Lines
    Reply #9 on: July 20, 2021, 12:54:10 pm
    July 20, 2021, 12:54:10 pm
    *Originally Posted by Gazk [+]
    The UK Highway codes states: 129

    "Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.
    Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 26"

    You can cross them but only if it is legal and safe, as I said!

    I get you may not be in the UK and laws are different all over the world.

    What I said was that double white lines will not kill you. There are many other things that will though.

    I might not be in the UK, but I passed my bike test in Yorkshire in 1976 and hold a UK licence. I have lived in Germany and France for many years though.

     



    dysfunctional