Author Topic: Double White Lines  (Read 1382 times)

Online Antares

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Staines/Kirklees
Re: Double White Lines
Reply #30 on: July 21, 2021, 07:08:01 PM
*Originally Posted by BobT [+]
So why does it exist then? How many opinions do you need to quote? Tell your MP!
I took my Ducati out today and waved to two French coppers riding their BMWs in short sleeved shirts. I should have stopped them and told them your opinion, I am sure that they would have immediately donned bike jackets.

It exists because it generates money. Simple as. What'd happen to the delivery industry if all of a sudden every moped rider had to pay for a £800 license that they can actually fail instead of a £90 1.5 hour, infallible course?? That's the only reason, and that they simply cannot be bothered. And yes, you're right! It's only my opinion to believe statistics and facts that point to a clear conclusion, presented by multiple independent sources lol

Online BobT

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR, R1250RS
  • Town: Perigueux
Reply #31 on: July 21, 2021, 07:43:49 PM
*Originally Posted by Antares [+]
It exists because it generates money. Simple as. What'd happen to the delivery industry if all of a sudden every moped rider had to pay for a £800 license that they can actually fail instead of a £90 1.5 hour, infallible course?? That's the only reason, and that they simply cannot be bothered. And yes, you're right! It's only my opinion to believe statistics and facts that point to a clear conclusion, presented by multiple independent sources lol
Not only is my girlfriend still alive after passing her test just over 3 years ago, and doing this CBT stuff, but so am I. I passed in 1976 and had no training at all, bought a 250 and just went riding.
People like you are just the sort of person who would kill off motorcycling for good with your self importance and opinions.
Anyone can trawl the web and find a source that agrees with their opinion so that they can voice it to whoever will listen. I am sure that the Jobless Witnesses could do the same to prove the Sh1te that they try to force on others too.

Online Mareng1

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Cumbria
Reply #32 on: July 21, 2021, 08:55:33 PM
Not only is my girlfriend still alive after passing her test just over 3 years ago, and doing this CBT stuff, but so am I. I passed in 1976 and had no training at all, bought a 250 and just went riding.
People like you are just the sort of person who would kill off motorcycling for good with your self importance and opinions.
Anyone can trawl the web and find a source that agrees with their opinion so that they can voice it to whoever will listen. I am sure that the Jobless Witnesses could do the same to prove the Sh1te that they try to force on others too.

You’re hard work.

Online Antares

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Staines/Kirklees
Reply #33 on: July 21, 2021, 09:21:50 PM

Lol. I'm all for motorcycling, I'm not self important, and you do you buddy, but I'm also a trained emergency responder and I've picked up not 1 biker off the floor, so no thanks! It's always going to be anecdotal but more training literally cannot hurt. There are parts of British and European licensing that are absolutely dumb, and there are excellent parts too. It's about striking the right balance, Imo getting out into dense city traffic with less training than your parents showing you how to ride a bicycle is just asking for trouble. There is a clear link between more training ,especially additional motorcycle courses like IAM Roadsmart, RoSPA, ERS and reduced accident and fatality rates. Motorcycling is dangerous, but 100% of people breathing air will also die someday, it's all about MANAGING risks. If you can lower risk for little to no effort or little to no money, then it makes 0 sense not to do it. Better training has no downsides for the rider. So why would you NOT want it? I've basically done the Licensing test and training 3x, once for my A1, the same for A2 and finally for A. Sure by the time I did my A2 I was good enough to immediately managed to complete the Mod 1 track without failing, but there were still tips and techniques I forgot, that I then remembered when I came back for my A license again. I regularly do 20k miles a year on bikes alone, no car and knock on wood I've not had a single serious accident and my most recent "accident" was over 2 years ago, that being me dropping my ER6 because a branch got stock in the front wheel at 5mph. As i said whatever your experience is, whatever mine is, it's all anecdotal, but pushing for safety, wherever we can, especially if it's so easy, it should be done. Do you want raised speed limits for motorbikes? Dedicated Motorcycle lanes? Looser policing? Then you have to show that motorcycles are not a threat to themselves or the public, that they are indeed safeR than they have been in the past. Otherwise that's why you get cracked down on, increased police attention, reduced speed limits and average speed cameras on biker favourites (Cat and fiddle, Ryka's). As a last word, your girlfriend did her CBT --- THEN she did her MOD 1, MOD 2 and Theory test. A CBT literally DOES NOT require you to know what road signs mean, what the highway code is, what driving etiquette is, and you're being let out on the road, that really sounds OKAY for you? I wouldn't think so.
Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 09:23:47 PM by Antares

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Topic Author
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #34 on: July 21, 2021, 10:10:37 PM
I’ll apologise to the forum as my rant was about 3 yobbos not behaving, I didn’t intend all this stuff to be posted, which frankly this board has managed to avoid over the years.

Offline Asw63632004

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR1000 se Black
  • Town: Swindon UK
Reply #35 on: July 21, 2021, 10:13:41 PM
I am sure that the CBT is perfectly clear and tells them what they legally need to wear. Perhaps you think that instead of legal requirements they should comply with your opinions or maybe another biker down the road who also has opinions. This is what I mean about others trying to impose their opinions on others. I think that they should do whatever the want and anyone else should butt out and mind their own business.
You could show them pictures of injuries and explain that bikes are inherently dangerous so don't ride them.
Your jacket, boots and gloves are not any use at all when the car pulls out on you while you are riding along at 50mph.

I didn't once state that anyone should comply with my opinion. Opinions are like arseholes , we've all got one and there are a lot of them around
 But protective gear WILL help against gravel rash if you go sliding up the road. I agree that t boning a car at 50 will make protective gear pretty useless .
If you think that they should do whatever they want and anyone else should mind their own business , what is the point of the test then?
By the way : Spanish motorcycle police went on strike a few years ago because they were being forced to wear short sleeve shirts while riding , as they were the same section as the mounted police. They weren't stupid enough to think that they were ok not wearing protective gear - maybe the French are ?
Andy

Online BobT

• XR Member
Reply #36 on: July 22, 2021, 08:00:57 AM
Another individuals opinion - the French police are stupid!

Offline Asw63632004

• XR Pro
Reply #37 on: July 22, 2021, 08:30:11 AM
Not just the French police. Anyone who thinks ,in their opinion obviously, that it's ok to ride with out protective gear.
Andy

Online BobT

• XR Member
Reply #38 on: July 22, 2021, 09:35:47 AM
*Originally Posted by Asw63632004 [+]
Not just the French police. Anyone who thinks ,in their opinion obviously, that it's ok to ride with out protective gear.

It is called freedom of choice.

Offline Asw63632004

• XR Pro
Reply #39 on: July 22, 2021, 11:47:57 AM
*Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
You’re hard work.
:0461:
I'm all in favour of freedom of choice.
I'm also in favour of trying to protect myself in anyway possible to minimise the risk of getting injured or dying prematurely.
Whether that involves extra training , taking advice from more experienced riders or wearing protective gear - just my opinion obviously. :002:
This is a FORUM .it's usually a relatively friendly place to find out more about the bikes , gain more knowledge about all aspects of motorcycling  buy a few bits  express your opinion etc. Your confrontational tone makes it feel slightly less friendly.
Please feel free to express your opinion .  :158:
Andy

dysfunctional