Author Topic: Minimum Accessories for a stock S1000XR  (Read 843 times)

brenmac and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Wario

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: SXR TE 20 Multi
Re: Minimum Accessories for a stock S1000XR
Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 04:31:09 PM
Thanks Antares, will check the BMW navi out.

Update :

1. GIVI Crash bars from BrandedBiker - They tell me all GIVI Crashbars orders for Gen2 are on back order from March'21 (loads of them) and that my order was the last and all the backlog orders are being fulfilled including mine. So have to wait and watch if I get left out on the first in first out basis - Fingers crossed.

2. Evotech Bar ends, Front and rear axle spindle bobbins - from Chainspeed - Rear Axle spindle bobbins out of stock and expected arrival in 4 weeks, rest all despatched.

3. Puig Touring Screen With Visor - Light Smoke from Pyramid Plastics. - No Puig Screens - earliest production run will be in OCT'21 - so Order cancelled

4. MRA Vario Touring screen - Grey ordered from bikeHPS - already despatched.

Was wondering though, could I go for the R&G Swingarm protectors instead of the Axle spindles? I thought both are for protecting the rear wheel and swingarm in the event of a crash and serve similar purpose. Can anyone help me understand which one is more beneficial?

Regards, W

Offline Antares

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Staines/Kirklees
Reply #11 on: July 21, 2021, 05:10:58 PM
Unless you got money to spare or you're a completionist I wouldn't bother with the Navi, as I said it's amazing, but I'm saying this from a perspective where it was included with the bike, if you can nick one used for under 300, sure, but it's absolutely no way in hell worth the 600 odd quid BMW is asking for it.

Offline rs87

• XR Member
  • Bike: '19 Triple Black
Reply #12 on: July 21, 2021, 05:25:01 PM
I'm vertically challenged at 5'8". I not only have a factory lowered bike with the lowered seat, but I also use those rubber bungs.

For me, they make a substantial difference. The extra (about) 15mm lets me get much more of my foot on the ground.

The only thing is that they cause a visible gap between the tank and the front part of the seat that you may or may not care about.

Offline Wario

• XR Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: SXR TE 20 Multi
Reply #13 on: July 21, 2021, 06:19:34 PM
*Originally Posted by Antares [+]
Unless you got money to spare or you're a completionist I wouldn't bother with the Navi, as I said it's amazing, but I'm saying this from a perspective where it was included with the bike, if you can nick one used for under 300, sure, but it's absolutely no way in hell worth the 600 odd quid BMW is asking for it.

I may have misused the word "Navi". I wasn't planning on getting the Navi as in the actual Navigation unit. I was planning on using my iPhone in its place. I already have the App - BMW Motorrad connected -> Paired it with the bike -> Downloaded the maps in the App -> set a new destination in the App ...-> ... and I could see the navigation instructions appear on the TFT screen on the bike. I thought this is how BMW Navigation is expected to work. This is why I wanted to understand if I need to download any more data for speed camera on my phone in the BMW App.

I am with you - no throwing money at the Navigation unit separately, rather use the app. If it is not any better than the Waze, I can always switch back to my waze.

This makes me think, I might as well remove the Navigation preparation and fix my Quad lock there instead of my left mirror. and may be use the Navigation connector for some other electric purpose later.

*Originally Posted by rs87 [+]
I'm vertically challenged at 5'8". I not only have a factory lowered bike with the lowered seat, but I also use those rubber bungs.

For me, they make a substantial difference. The extra (about) 15mm lets me get much more of my foot on the ground.

The only thing is that they cause a visible gap between the tank and the front part of the seat that you may or may not care about.

Thanks for the references, Im about the similar height as you are at 5.8/9. So let me go ahead and order the rubber bungs and see how it helps. they don't cost the world - so why not give it a try. :). Will keep every one posted.

Regards, W

Offline Antares

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Staines/Kirklees
Reply #14 on: July 21, 2021, 06:34:40 PM
*Originally Posted by Wario [+]
I may have misused the word "Navi". I wasn't planning on getting the Navi as in the actual Navigation unit. I was planning on using my iPhone in its place. I already have the App - BMW Motorrad connected -> Paired it with the bike -> Downloaded the maps in the App -> set a new destination in the App ...-> ... and I could see the navigation instructions appear on the TFT screen on the bike. I thought this is how BMW Navigation is expected to work. This is why I wanted to understand if I need to download any more data for speed camera on my phone in the BMW App.

I am with you - no throwing money at the Navigation unit separately, rather use the app. If it is not any better than the Waze, I can always switch back to my waze.

This makes me think, I might as well remove the Navigation preparation and fix my Quad lock there instead of my left mirror. and may be use the Navigation connector for some other electric purpose later.

Thanks for the references, Im about the similar height as you are at 5.8/9. So let me go ahead and order the rubber bungs and see how it helps. they don't cost the world - so why not give it a try. :). Will keep every one posted.

Regards, W

Sorry I guess I misunderstood, I don't know if BMW's own navigation app functions the same way as the Navi 5/6, because those are just dressed up Garmin Zumos, The main think i liked about the Navi is seeing all the stats of the bike on the navi at once that you can't see on the dash, but the Gen 2 dash is waaaaaaaaaaaayyyy more informative. I don't think there is anything the Navi can show that the dash can't, on the Gen 1 there is quite a bit.

Offline Ginger Hall

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Biggin Hill
Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 07:20:32 PM
Try motorcycle MAT Turntable Movetech UK ( www.matturntable.com)

dysfunctional