Author Topic: DCAT exhaust MOT and riding in Europe  (Read 671 times)

Offline luxybob

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR 2018
  • Town: Mägenwil
Re: DCAT exhaust MOT and riding in Europe
Reply #10 on: July 20, 2021, 05:34:43 PM
Having lived in Luxembourg, Nice and now Switzerland I can only agree with the points made above.

In France I had my zx6r with the two brother slip on, was stopped once as I had the license plate at too much of an angle, oops, they didnt care about the exhaust. Thats pretty much the same for all other countries, except Switzerland where they are such numpties (idiots) that they will check pipes. When we leave Switzerland its usually a quick stop to remove baffels where possible and then off we go. I remember entering Italy, the folks at customs came out and stopped me, only for three of them to get crazy smiles and wind their right hands as if turning the throttle, they just wanted me to rev the rollocks out of the bike and make as much noise as possible.

The stuff re Austria, and also Germany (https://www.visordown.com/news/industry/thousands-german-motorcyclists-demonstrate-against-riding-bans) getting wound up re noise is for me more a general thing and not something you would be specifically stopped for. I think that in Austria where there is the db limit, its only if you are flashed and then if your bike is over the limit that the fine comes into it. The bike only speed limits on the B500 is just crazy.

Offline Antares

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Staines/Kirklees
Reply #11 on: July 20, 2021, 06:15:36 PM
*Originally Posted by luxybob [+]
Having lived in Luxembourg, Nice and now Switzerland I can only agree with the points made above.

In France I had my zx6r with the two brother slip on, was stopped once as I had the license plate at too much of an angle, oops, they didnt care about the exhaust. Thats pretty much the same for all other countries, except Switzerland where they are such numpties (idiots) that they will check pipes. When we leave Switzerland its usually a quick stop to remove baffels where possible and then off we go. I remember entering Italy, the folks at customs came out and stopped me, only for three of them to get crazy smiles and wind their right hands as if turning the throttle, they just wanted me to rev the rollocks out of the bike and make as much noise as possible.

The stuff re Austria, and also Germany (https://www.visordown.com/news/industry/thousands-german-motorcyclists-demonstrate-against-riding-bans) getting wound up re noise is for me more a general thing and not something you would be specifically stopped for. I think that in Austria where there is the db limit, its only if you are flashed and then if your bike is over the limit that the fine comes into it. The bike only speed limits on the B500 is just crazy.

Bike only speed limit??????????????????????????????????? Holy crap now that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard if that's true. Bikes are generally safer at higher speeds than cars, even old 600s handle better than some SUVs or hatchbacks made today around a corner... Reminds me of the 60mph "Speed limit for Air quality" over Sheffield on the M1, where it doesn't affect trucks as they can only do 55-60 and that's the main traffic going over there lol... Incidentally 3 new speed cameras were installed on that section riiiiight about the same time  :164: :164:

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #12 on: July 20, 2021, 07:25:06 PM
First time I trundled off the Southampton/Le Havre ferry on my 750 H2 Kawasaki two stroke was more years than i’d Like to admit, just asked my other half to do a reckon up and trips to Europe have rolled over the 200 mark, we’ve been all over the place and never had a jot of bother anywhere, which in reality maybe we have just been lucky.

But having done Barcelona/Birmingham, we clocked it at 1050 miles in 16 hours and that included the Dover/Calais crossing, there been some interesting speeds done and still no hassle.

Closest to trouble...was stopping in the hotel on top of the Grand St Bernard, we’d been over it many times thought it would be good fun to stop a night  :003:, neither us two or the bike were very keen on the lack of oxygen over a period of 8 hours, we didn’t sleep the bike wouldn’t start.

Offline JohnnyBeGood

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
Reply #13 on: July 21, 2021, 03:41:11 PM
Germany could also be a problem, especially in popular motorcycle area's police is very keen to check if your exhaust is legal.
If not, then you are screwed, unless you can replace the loud exhaust with the original. Not a very likely case.

Offline Diavel

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Vientiane
Reply #14 on: July 21, 2021, 03:59:17 PM
Bikes in France used to be neutered and limited to 100hp not sure if that is still the case so maybe not so loud because less power 😁.But on a serious note I did know of someone who had an "illegal" exhaust on his Harley and he was stopped in Switzerland.The Police took him to a local Harley Dealership and made him change the pipes for road legal ones.So a bit expensive for the fine, the new pipes and the shipping of the "illegal" pipes back to the UK.So maybe not worth the hassle.Mind you ebay did used to sell EU approved stickers for end cans to replace the damaged one 😉but there again they might fine you for something else with this.
Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 04:01:12 PM by Diavel

Offline Antares

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Staines/Kirklees
Reply #15 on: July 21, 2021, 05:40:23 PM
*Originally Posted by Diavel [+]
Bikes in France used to be neutered and limited to 100hp not sure if that is still the case so maybe not so loud because less power 😁.
You need to hear those young whippersnappers on their 125s here in the UK LOL

Offline luxybob

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR 2018
  • Town: Mägenwil
Reply #16 on: July 21, 2021, 05:58:51 PM
*Originally Posted by HelenM [+]
Thinking of changing the header pipes and a remap but have some concerns.

Don't want a noisy bike and also concerned about MOT.  We also ride in the Alps every year would this be a problem in the EU?

Input appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Back to basics then, your end pipe will be the same with road legal markings?

dysfunctional