Author Keyless problem  (Read 2693 times)

AHG21 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

• Offline Old-Geezer   gb

• XR Junior  ‐    7
    • Topic Author

Offline Old-Geezer

• XR Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: S1000XR
    Keyless problem
    on: July 27, 2021, 06:40:19 pm
    July 27, 2021, 06:40:19 pm
    I am new to the forum and only had my XR for two months. I have a repeated Remote key warning on TFT screen whenever the speed drops below 5mph or when stationary for a period of time. The engine has always started despite the warning. Jacket and trousers are Rukka Gortex. Rukka claim the fabric is not a problem and have never had a report of such a problem. I used the same Jacket and Trousers on my keyless ride R1200 RT without any problem.  It appears to be an XR related problem and it happens continuously, it also happened when I was using the keyless XR loan bike while BMW tried to trace the problem. BMW report all systems function correctly even though the service data indicates a fault (! appears in a yellow triangle on TFT screen).

I hung the key around my neck on the outside of the jacket as dealer suggested so that the key fob was near the receiver by the filler cap where the emergency key is placed to start the bike. No luck the message still appears.

Any ideas or anyone know where the RF receiver for the key is located.

• Offline Darty65   england

• XR Member  ‐    95

Offline Darty65

• XR Member
    • Bike: S1000XR TE (K69)
    Re: Keyless problem
    Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 06:48:53 pm
    July 27, 2021, 06:48:53 pm
    Old-Geezer, what is the message?

I have had a couple of incidents where my keyless 2020 XR wouldn’t unlock but as yet BMW have no idea why. I video’d the last incident but probably too large a file to upload to this site.

The RF receiver as it the back of the tank, but you shouldn’t have to hang the key around your neck. I have a Rukka Nivala suit and it works just fine with the key in my jacket pocket.
    Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 06:50:44 pm by Darty65

• Offline Salem   nl

• XR Pro  ‐    394

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
    Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 07:04:06 pm
    July 27, 2021, 07:04:06 pm
    Battery in the key ok?  Battery can already be low if you left the key too close to the bike. Receiver is under the panel behind the fillercap, towards you. Position is in the manual.

• Offline Old-Geezer   gb

• XR Junior  ‐    7
    • Topic Author

Offline Old-Geezer

• XR Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 10:13:12 am
    July 28, 2021, 10:13:12 am
    I replaced the key battery when bike was 2 days old but it didn't solve the problem. I wore the key on the outside of my jacket to ensure there wasn't any material between the sensor near the filler cap and the key. The distance from key to sensor was about 450mm to ensure that it was well within the 1m as stated in the hand book. I have tried putting the key in every pocket in both jacket and trousers but it made no difference.
    My jacket is 8 years old and is not the latest Cordura material but the older polyamide nylon. I found a research paper on polyamide nylon that indicates solid blocks can act as an attenuator to RF signals but the jacket's weave means it is not a solid block.

I am now very adept at cancelling warning messages.

• Offline philbuck   gb

• XR Pro  ‐    223

Offline philbuck

• XR Pro
    • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
    • Town: Cheshire
    Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 12:25:01 pm
    July 28, 2021, 12:25:01 pm
    Just a thought..................

Several years ago, there was a story on the news about a group of VERY experienced hikers getting lost in the fog, up a bit of a mountain, somewhere in the UK. They had all the gear, and managed to survive until found the next day. It transpired that they'd actually got to within 10 yds of a road, but due to visibility, never saw it !!

No-one could understand why they couldn't find their way back, having all the correct gear !!

They then discovered that their walking coats (like some biking jackets), have self sealing pockets, which use slim magnets. This was their downfall, the magnets f**ked their compass bearings up constantly.

Could this be a possibly solution?
    Just sayin'

• Offline PaulS1000XR   gb

• XR God  ‐    1215

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR God
    • My 4th XR - guess I like them.
    • Bike: S1000XR 2021 TE
    • Town: Worcester, UK
    Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 04:42:08 pm
    July 28, 2021, 04:42:08 pm
    I have a 2021 with keyless ride and ride with a Rukka Navala suit and have no problems
    PSH

• Offline Colin   gb

• XR Pro  ‐    190

Offline Colin

• XR Pro
    • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
    • Town: Peterborough
    Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 05:03:59 pm
    July 28, 2021, 05:03:59 pm
    I think the clothing question is eradicated as Old Geezer has stated that he hung the key around his neck on the outside so has to be key or receiver issue ?

• Offline Antares   gb

• XR God  ‐    1401

Offline Antares

• XR God
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    Reply #7 on: July 28, 2021, 06:44:38 pm
    July 28, 2021, 06:44:38 pm
    Sounds like a warranty claim time to me

• Online surik116   gb

• XR Member  ‐    36

Online surik116

• XR Member
    • Bike: s1000xr gen2
    • Town: London
    Reply #8 on: July 28, 2021, 10:27:12 pm
    July 28, 2021, 10:27:12 pm
    Hi,

I would try the following to troubleshoot the issue.

1) wear a normal jacket with key in it and try a local ride.
    2) still did'nt work then get a new wireless key from dealer and give it a go. (Dealer usually have blanks, you could request them to code it to troubleshoot, may end up paying labour)
    3) if the problem still persists, would have to be the reciever and in which case a warranty claim. At this point the dealer cannot say it is you.

• Offline deanomyte   us

• XR Member  ‐    19

Offline deanomyte

• XR Member
    • Bike: 2020 s1000xr TE
    Reply #9 on: August 09, 2021, 07:03:59 pm
    August 09, 2021, 07:03:59 pm
    I've only had my XR for 2 weeks (loving it by the way) and I'm running into an issue with the keyless gas tank not responding to the key. The bike starts fine but I have to place the key right on top of the lock closest to the dash for the tank to open. I'm wondering if this is also an issue for you as well?