Author Vertical Drop Sensor fault  (Read 1669 times)

• Offline Relayer1000   us

• XR Junior  ‐    9
    • Topic Author

Offline Relayer1000

• XR Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: S 1000 XR
    • Town: Philadelphia
    Vertical Drop Sensor fault
    on: August 01, 2021, 01:41:10 pm
    August 01, 2021, 01:41:10 pm
    2016 XR: VDS killed my ignition out of nowhere….On a weekend. Where is this thing? I can’t find it? My battery looks good @ 12.70 V. I disconnected and reconnected the battery. Tried a couple on/off kill switch recycles. I’m stumped. Couldn’t find it on the micro fiche.

• Online smithy   au

• XR God  ‐    2326

Online smithy

• XR God
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    Re: Vertical Drop Sensor fault
    Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 12:15:16 am
    August 02, 2021, 12:15:16 am
    *Originally Posted by Relayer1000 [+]
    2016 XR: VDS killed my ignition out of nowhere….On a weekend. Where is this thing? I can’t find it? My battery looks good @ 12.70 V. I disconnected and reconnected the battery. Tried a couple on/off kill switch recycles. I’m stumped. Couldn’t find it on the micro fiche.

I believe the XR uses the 6 axis IMU for this function, (although I stand corrected on this). It lives under the front seat/tank mount. Tank needs to be removed to access it.

Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery does nothing except require you to reset the clock.

Smithy.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

• XR Junior  ‐    9
    • Topic Author

Offline Relayer1000

• XR Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 01:25:24 am
    August 20, 2021, 01:25:24 am
    I bought this motorcycle, as is, 2 months ago from a reputable longtime BMW dealership in PA. A 2016 S 1000XR. I put 2000 miles on it, to 13,600 miles. I towed it back there with the VDS fault showing on the display wondering what the damage would be. Now the VDS is gone from the display and they're telling me I blew a cylinder head. So far they have been saying all positive things about trying to work this out. They said they're talking to BMW for help out of $10,000 in motor work.
    I just got the bike. Have never red lined it. I heard no sound. I was doing 70 on an interstate and pulled off to get gas. Now I'm waiting.......What's going on?  Ever heard of this from no track use?

• Offline Winger   gb

• XR God  ‐    3579

Offline Winger

• XR God
    • Town: Birmingham
    Reply #3 on: August 20, 2021, 07:57:34 am
    August 20, 2021, 07:57:34 am
    Might be my bad memory but in the years i’ve Been on the board do not recall anyone having a engine go bang, what kind of warranty did you get from the shop?, as a plan B i’d be looking for a complete motor for no other reason it gives you an option if all else fails.

Not the same situation as yours, but my K1200r Sport decided to blot it’s copy book recently(gearbox) and went the engine route although it was only to strip it, re the X/R see little demand for a complete engine, so if the worse happens may well be the cheaper option rather than a repair.

• XR Junior  ‐    9
    • Topic Author

Offline Relayer1000

• XR Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: August 20, 2021, 12:39:48 pm
    August 20, 2021, 12:39:48 pm
    Bought it as is… previous owner was a previous employee of the dealership. 70+ y/o guy. They have the service history. Up to date for 12K. It all looked like the right bike to buy. Waiting to hear.

• Offline Crosshairs   us

• XR Pro  ‐    244

Offline Crosshairs

• XR Pro
    • Town: Oceanport
    Reply #5 on: August 20, 2021, 04:44:54 pm
    August 20, 2021, 04:44:54 pm
    I bought this motorcycle, as is, 2 months ago from a reputable longtime BMW dealership in PA. A 2016 S 1000XR. I put 2000 miles on it, to 13,600 miles. I towed it back there with the VDS fault showing on the display wondering what the damage would be. Now the VDS is gone from the display and they're telling me I blew a cylinder head. So far they have been saying all positive things about trying to work this out. They said they're talking to BMW for help out of $10,000 in motor work.
    I just got the bike. Have never red lined it. I heard no sound. I was doing 70 on an interstate and pulled off to get gas. Now I'm waiting.......What's going on?  Ever heard of this from no track use?
    I would hope they would help out a bit...thats way too early for an engine to go bad unless it was abused....but
    If you end up paying for the repair,I would look for a used engine... ..quite a few out there and parts and labor could be less than  5K ...
    Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 04:45:34 pm by Crosshairs
    Proud member of the 10/40 club

• Offline SimonUK   us

• XR Master  ‐    962

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
    • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
    • Town: Upstate, SC
    Reply #6 on: August 20, 2021, 06:11:44 pm
    August 20, 2021, 06:11:44 pm
    I am not getting how it went form a "!VDS" error to a blown cylinder, unless the bike was dropped and allowed to run on it's side(though the VDs should turn off the motor in the event of a drop).

• Offline Salem   nl

• XR Pro  ‐    380

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
    • Bike: S1000XR
    Reply #7 on: August 20, 2021, 06:24:32 pm
    August 20, 2021, 06:24:32 pm
    i don't get it either. VDS is weird description. If it the 6-axis sensor I would expect it says that. The vertical bit seems indicate the levelling sensor; but then one would call it that.  Blown cylinder head is also vague. Assume it is a blown head gasket on one of the outside cylinders?

• XR Junior  ‐    9
    • Topic Author

Offline Relayer1000

• XR Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #8 on: August 21, 2021, 01:50:18 pm
    August 21, 2021, 01:50:18 pm
    Best I can relay from the dealer: Looking in thru intake assy. you can see the valve, cylinder. Blown. They're saying I should have heard it and loss power. I say with ear plugs in I should have FELT it. There was no major loss of power. I pulled off to check for a gas station because the reserve light came on and it wouldn't restart. They say the VDS came on because the blown cylinder may have caused oil pressure to drop(or something) and in effect fake out the sensor. Too many coincidental things going on here. They say they are waiting to hear from BMW but this can be a while. He, gonna get back to me on some possible trade deal on another. This is far from over.

• Online smithy   au

• XR God  ‐    2326

Online smithy

• XR God
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    Reply #9 on: August 21, 2021, 10:23:51 pm
    August 21, 2021, 10:23:51 pm
    Best I can relay from the dealer: Looking in thru intake assy. you can see the valve, cylinder. Blown. They're saying I should have heard it and loss power. I say with ear plugs in I should have FELT it. There was no major loss of power. I pulled off to check for a gas station because the reserve light came on and it wouldn't restart. They say the VDS came on because the blown cylinder may have caused oil pressure to drop(or something) and in effect fake out the sensor. Too many coincidental things going on here. They say they are waiting to hear from BMW but this can be a while. He, gonna get back to me on some possible trade deal on another. This is far from over.

None of this makes any sense, if indeed it has dropped a valve, it would be obvious. I could see "all" my intake valves through the intake when l did my 30k km service.

Smithy.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!