Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What Garmin will fit the factory fitted BMW GPS Mount? Anyone modified  (Read 5369 times)

Offline pauly

• XR Junior
  • Bike: XR Sport SE
  • Town: Brighton, UK
Firstly apologies, as this seems to be a recurring theme on any BMW forums.

I'm keen to get a new Satnav, but fancy one of the new Garmins rather than the Nav V as it's getting a bit long in the tooth now. The only info I can seem to find is that the Garmin 660LM will fit but you lose the nav wheel functionality which I'm not bothered about. Only thing is that the 660 is as old as the Nav V - might even be very closely related.

Has anyone tried fitting/modifying the GPS mount to fit any of the newer Garmins?

Thanks in advance.
Love anything with 2 wheels. If you fancy a meet up just drop me a line.

Offline fasttrak

• XR Pro
  • Chasing sunsets at 90 MPH.
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Morgan Hill
The Nav V and the 590 are based on the same design and both are newer models than the 660.

Not sure what you want that the Nav V does not offer but at this time the 590\Nav V are Garmin's flagship motorcycle GPS units.

The GPS integration is pretty damn nifty on the XR with GPS Prep, far more than just GPS as it offers engine monitoring and full Blutooth hub for music and voice prompts.

Offline pauly

• XR Junior
Thanks for the reply!

Offline Gilly76

• XR Member
Hello - I've got a 590lm on mine. Wasn't bothered about the wheel control, and couldn't get my head round paying more for an older unit..

Easy enough to install, just have to route the new leads from the battery to the mount that comes with the SatNav.

Offline pauly

• XR Junior
So the 590LM is a different fit to the Nav V/660LM?

Cheers,

Offline Gilly76

• XR Member
Different fit???

Only thing I know for sure is that the original mount isn't compatible with the 590, so you have to swap the mounts, which is a doddle.

Offline fasttrak

• XR Pro
I have both the 590LM, what I had on the bike I traded in for this XR and the Nav V. The Nav V is based completely on the 590LM and only has specific BMW software installed, engine monitoring and other stuff along with a different mounting system to fit BMW's specific cradle. Also, the 590 LM will not integrate with the BMW's GPS Prep or mount in the BMW cradle.

If you never fart around with music to a blutooth headset, never want to check most of your engine stats, pop up a compass, pull up voice driven navigation prompts all while keeping both hands on the bars, than the left bar spinning wheel may not matter to you. For me, I would not want to be with out it as it just makes checking stuff out, grabbing an alternate POI or have an integrated audio hub, than just grab what ever low cost GPS you want to mount to your bike and be done with it.

Edit to add:

Both the 590 LM and the Nav V have a nifty software add on that cost a few bucks and you get live weather reports. I spent this last Friday-Sunday driving around some awesome roads in far Northern California with most of it in rain, snow, sleet and that radar report was going off the entire weekend.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 03:12:19 AM by fasttrak »

Offline Bertiebot

• XR Junior
  • Bertie
  • Bike: S1000XR & S!000R
  • Town: Derby
*Originally Posted by fasttrak [+]
I have both the 590LM, what I had on the bike I traded in for this XR and the Nav V. The Nav V is based completely on the 590LM and only has specific BMW software installed, engine monitoring and other stuff along with a different mounting system to fit BMW's specific cradle. Also, the 590 LM will not integrate with the BMW's GPS Prep or mount in the BMW cradle.

If you never fart around with music to a blutooth headset, never want to check most of your engine stats, pop up a compass, pull up voice driven navigation prompts all while keeping both hands on the bars, than the left bar spinning wheel may not matter to you. For me, I would not want to be with out it as it just makes checking stuff out, grabbing an alternate POI or have an integrated audio hub, than just grab what ever low cost GPS you want to mount to your bike and be done with it.

Edit to add:

Both the 590 LM and the Nav V have a nifty software add on that cost a few bucks and you get live weather reports. I spent this last Friday-Sunday driving around some awesome roads in far Northern California with most of it in rain, snow, sleet and that radar report was going off the entire weekend.

The Nav 5 might look like a Zumo 660 but to isn't. When Garmin went curvy with the 590 BMW wanted to stay rectangular so superficially the Nav 5 looks a bit like a 660 BUT the Nav 5 screen is much bigger and the functionality you get is a huge improvement on the 660. The integration with the bike of the Nav 5 is great too. It knows when you are short of fuel and offers you routing to petrol stations, you can drive it from the wheel on the left bar very nicely, you can monitor trip and mileometer easily. It change the clock on the bike automatically as you go between time zones (yes really). If you can afford a Nav 5 (they are pricey) then get one. To pick anything else is a bit daft really - unless you already own a nav and don't want to buy another one (which I completely get)
Lovely bikes those XRs

Offline fasttrak

• XR Pro
*Originally Posted by Bertiebot [+]
The Nav 5 might look like a Zumo 660 but to isn't. When Garmin went curvy with the 590 BMW wanted to stay rectangular so superficially the Nav 5 looks a bit like a 660 BUT the Nav 5 screen is much bigger and the functionality you get is a huge improvement on the 660. The integration with the bike of the Nav 5 is great too. It knows when you are short of fuel and offers you routing to petrol stations, you can drive it from the wheel on the left bar very nicely, you can monitor trip and mileometer easily. It change the clock on the bike automatically as you go between time zones (yes really). If you can afford a Nav 5 (they are pricey) then get one. To pick anything else is a bit daft really - unless you already own a nav and don't want to buy another one (which I completely get)

I do not believe anywhere in my post I compared a 660 against a Nav V or Garmin 590. I did compare the Nav V to the 590 and for good reason.