Author Lithium Battery problem  (Read 3523 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • Offline Quent   england

    • XR Member  ‐    60
    • **
    • Topic Author

    Offline Quent

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 60
    • The older I get the faster I was!
    • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
    • Town: Peterborough
    • Country: england
    Lithium Battery problem
    on: August 05, 2021, 08:36:29 pm
    August 05, 2021, 08:36:29 pm
    Hi all, so this is a conundrum. Having read so much positive information about lithium batteries i went and bought one and fitted it. Within 5 miles of riding the dashboard starts having a hissy fit, flickering and warning lights for abs and tc flashing which is a bit unnerving to say the least. I thought, oh sh#t, loose connection so stopped and checked the battery. All OK, so headed home and nearly stripped the bike completely looking for a bad connection. Found nothing obvious and took it for a test ride and all seemed OK for a few miles then it started again!!! I wondered if the voltage regulator had gone tits up, so put the voltage on the nav screen. I noticed that the voltage would spike at 16 to 17 volts :005: So found the reason for the dashboard hissyfits. As I did not have a spare regulator to hand I thought I would put the regular Yuasa battery back on to see what happened and low and behold all is well again with the regulator at a steady 14.7 volts. So it seems the lithium battery was upsetting everything which is disappointing!!! anybody have similar experience?
    What could possibly go wrong!!

  • Offline BobT   fr

    • XR Pro  ‐    198
    • ***
      #1

    Offline BobT

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 198
    • Bike: S1000XR, R1250RS
    • Town: Perigueux
    • Country: fr
    Re: Lithium Battery problem
    Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 09:20:07 pm
    August 05, 2021, 09:20:07 pm
    Ran a Lithium on my 2017 Ducati since it was nearly new with no problems at all. The voltage regulator regulates the voltage and does not know what type of battery is fitted if you don't tell it.

  • Offline Winger   gb

    • XR God  ‐    3579
    • *****
      #2

    Offline Winger

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 3579
    • Town: Birmingham
    • Country: gb
    Re: Lithium Battery problem
    Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 09:23:27 pm
    August 05, 2021, 09:23:27 pm
    I run 5 bikes with lithium batteries and never had the slightest problem in fact the one I have on an XT660X is either 7 or 8 years old...that’s the good news.

    The one glitch i’ve Had was on an old Tiger 955, put a lithium battery in it and the dam thing stopped on the M6, got mates to pick me up in a van got home for much head scratching...suddenly realise i’d Put an aftermarket Reg/Rec on by a company called Electrex down near Oxford, phoned them up and they had a hissy fit  :001:, have a look on their website and in red letters now not for use with lithium.

    So if your bike is original i’d Be checking the battery cuz my bike list is wide and various and they are all good, even the Tiger will be cuz i’ve Just changed the reg/rec.

  • Offline Quent   england

    • XR Member  ‐    60
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #3

    Offline Quent

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 60
    • The older I get the faster I was!
    • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
    • Town: Peterborough
    • Country: england
    Re: Lithium Battery problem
    Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 10:11:01 pm
    August 05, 2021, 10:11:01 pm
    Bike is completely original and I suspect faulty battery. Will be sending it back for warranty. 4000 mile old bike running perfectly until lithium battery installed. Removed lithium battery and bike running perfectly again.
    What could possibly go wrong!!

  • Offline Crosshairs   us

    • XR Pro  ‐    244
    • ***
      #4

    Offline Crosshairs

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 244
    • Town: Oceanport
    • Country: us
    Re: Lithium Battery problem
    Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 12:05:08 am
    August 06, 2021, 12:05:08 am
    *Originally Posted by Quent [+]
    Hi all, so this is a conundrum. Having read so much positive information about lithium batteries i went and bought one and fitted it. Within 5 miles of riding the dashboard starts having a hissy fit, flickering and warning lights for abs and tc flashing which is a bit unnerving to say the least. I thought, oh sh#t, loose connection so stopped and checked the battery. All OK, so headed home and nearly stripped the bike completely looking for a bad connection. Found nothing obvious and took it for a test ride and all seemed OK for a few miles then it started again!!! I wondered if the voltage regulator had gone tits up, so put the voltage on the nav screen. I noticed that the voltage would spike at 16 to 17 volts :005: So found the reason for the dashboard hissyfits. As I did not have a spare regulator to hand I thought I would put the regular Yuasa battery back on to see what happened and low and behold all is well again with the regulator at a steady 14.7 volts. So it seems the lithium battery was upsetting everything which is disappointing!!! anybody have similar experience?
    Have one fitted on mine since I brought it home last year....... 23,000 miles later and not a single problem
    Proud member of the 10/40 club

  • Online garyculb   us

    • XR Pro  ‐    171
    • ***
      #5

    Online garyculb

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 171
    • Doc
    • Bike: 2021 XR Sport
    • Town: Sumter, SC
    • Country: us
    Re: Lithium Battery problem
    Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 01:13:30 am
    August 06, 2021, 01:13:30 am
    Lithium Battery comes on the 2021 XR Sport. No issues!!

    Best,

    Doc :084: :084:
    2021 XR Sport

  • Offline orbits   gb

    • XR Pro  ‐    135
    • ***
      #6

    Offline orbits

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 135
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Town: Cotswolds
    • Country: gb
    Re: Lithium Battery problem
    Reply #6 on: August 06, 2021, 07:17:14 am
    August 06, 2021, 07:17:14 am
    At the end of the day you can only go with the evidence you’ve got; lithium giving problems, AGM/LA not.

    I bought the recommended Shido and it was not a convincing start, so I stuck a new Yuasa AGM in and it was like a new bike, so there are occasional issues I guess.

    Bit of info here about RR’s. I’ve never had cause to get familiar the XR charging system, but fig 2 (IF applicable to XR) highlights a case where over regulation is possible based on bad connections.

    https://www.electrosport.com/pages/technical-resources-how-motorcycle-charging-system-works

  • Offline BobT   fr

    • XR Pro  ‐    198
    • ***
      #7

    Offline BobT

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 198
    • Bike: S1000XR, R1250RS
    • Town: Perigueux
    • Country: fr
    Re: Lithium Battery problem
    Reply #7 on: August 06, 2021, 08:43:50 am
    August 06, 2021, 08:43:50 am
    Ignore any talk of the Reg/Rec as BMW fit a Lithium as an option and use the same Reg/Rec for all battery types. The Reg/Rec determines the voltage that the bike runs at and if you don't tell it, it will not know what type of battery is fitted.

  • Offline PaulS1000XR   gb

    • XR God  ‐    1215
    • *****
      #8

    Offline PaulS1000XR

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 1215
    • My 4th XR - guess I like them.
    • Bike: S1000XR 2021 TE
    • Town: Worcester, UK
    • Country: gb
    Re: Lithium Battery problem
    Reply #8 on: August 06, 2021, 03:51:11 pm
    August 06, 2021, 03:51:11 pm
    *Originally Posted by Quent [+]
    Bike is completely original and I suspect faulty battery. Will be sending it back for warranty. 4000 mile old bike running perfectly until lithium battery installed. Removed lithium battery and bike running perfectly again.

    I think you are right - may well be a defective battery - fitted a Shido Li to my Gen 1 and all was absolutely fine
    PSH

  • Online Antares   gb

    • XR God  ‐    1296
    • *****
      #9

    Online Antares

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 1296
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    • Country: gb
    Re: Lithium Battery problem
    Reply #9 on: August 07, 2021, 08:27:06 am
    August 07, 2021, 08:27:06 am
    *Originally Posted by orbits [+]
    At the end of the day you can only go with the evidence you’ve got; lithium giving problems, AGM/LA not.

    I bought the recommended Shido and it was not a convincing start, so I stuck a new Yuasa AGM in and it was like a new bike, so there are occasional issues I guess.

    Bit of info here about RR’s. I’ve never had cause to get familiar the XR charging system, but fig 2 (IF applicable to XR) highlights a case where over regulation is possible based on bad connections.

    https://www.electrosport.com/pages/technical-resources-how-motorcycle-charging-system-works

    Motobatt AGM died in my kawi in under a year, over the course of the last week of it's life each time it struggled more and more to start the bike until eventually it'd need a jump, checked charging was steady 14.2V, after you turn the key off and unhook the battery, it'd be at 11.9V and in an hour (still disconnected) it'd be down to 10.7V you get bad apples everywhere.

     



    dysfunctional