Author Test ride Gen 2  (Read 2024 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • Offline kevmv   gb

    • XR Junior  ‐    12
    • *
    • Topic Author

    Offline kevmv

    • XR Junior
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 12
    • Country: gb
    Test ride Gen 2
    on: August 21, 2021, 04:14:02 pm
    August 21, 2021, 04:14:02 pm
    Hi newbie here,

    At present moment I'm working away from home but intend to get a test ride of a Gen 2 when I get home.
    Presently I have a mv agusta f3, so by looking around at YouTube videos and reading some reviews I've came to the conclusion that the Gen 2 looks to be the bike for me.
    It will be a big change in motorcycle for me, so during the test ride I don't think my brain will be concentrating fully on the bike, rather just trying to stay alive 🙈 with the difference in power and weight.
    Has anyone any good tips on what to look for while riding the bike for the first time, something that you wished that you had found out before you made the purchase.

    Kev.

  • Offline BobT   fr

    • XR Pro  ‐    198
    • ***
      #1

    Offline BobT

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 198
    • Bike: S1000XR, R1250RS
    • Town: Perigueux
    • Country: fr
    Re: Test ride Gen 2
    Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 06:43:59 pm
    August 21, 2021, 06:43:59 pm
    My girlfriend just looked at one at the dealer and ordered it there and then with all the extras. She never rode one as she likes the colour and riding it won't change that.

  • Offline jakebake   gb

    • XR Pro  ‐    135
    • ***
      #2

    Offline jakebake

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 135
    • Bike: s1000xr
    • Town: warwick
    • Country: gb
    Re: Test ride Gen 2
    Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 06:46:32 pm
    August 21, 2021, 06:46:32 pm
    Above anything else, do 2 test rides and don’t judge it on the 1st one.

    Ask the sales guy to run through the electronics menu and make sure none of the settings are set to restrict the bike ie  anti-wheelie, traction control , engine breaking etc. etc, set all of them to the least intrusive ( don’t worry the bike will be perfectly controllable………ish !

    Also ask them to make sure the chain has been recently adjusted. The demo bikes get abused and the chains rarely get looked at and if it’s a bit loose, the clutch less gear changes won’t be as smooth as the should be

    Lastly, make sure it in at least dynamic mode or dynamic pro

    I did not like my 1st test ride of the bike and gave it 4 weeks and then booked another one , which happened to be on a different gen 2  xr , which the salesman explained the electronics and set everything up to be least restrictive  and I was really impressed and bought a gen 2 motorsport

  • Offline Winger   gb

    • XR God  ‐    3579
    • *****
      #3

    Offline Winger

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 3579
    • Town: Birmingham
    • Country: gb
    Re: Test ride Gen 2
    Reply #3 on: August 21, 2021, 07:20:24 pm
    August 21, 2021, 07:20:24 pm
    Never test rode mine either, although I did spec it how I wanted...non ESA/high HP seat, which was quite bizarre because my mate bought mine cuz he has a well known surname which came with a much nicer price, but heaven knows what they thought with a high HP seat cuz he’s way shorter than me, although I did pay him later  :001:

    Re the OP..hmm. If you are into demo’s i’d Certainly put other bikes on a short list, I currently run(cough) 6 they all have their uses, on that short list of yours  X/R...KTM GT/1290r because it doesn’t have electric suspension, and while you are at the BM dealer ride a GS1250...if BM ever build one with a 17” front wheel put me at the front of the queue.

    Most of the techy stuff has already been covered, just know how to change the fuelling that is what will last in your memory.

    Just too complicate things any folk wanting/thinking of another know of a K1300r Dynamic forsale on the net with less than 3000 miles for £6500, I have a K1200r Sport and more than able to deal with an X/R when it comes to bloody minded grunt.
    Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 07:27:14 pm by Winger

  • Offline kevmv   gb

    • XR Junior  ‐    12
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • #4

    Offline kevmv

    • XR Junior
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 12
    • Country: gb
    Re: Test ride Gen 2
    Reply #4 on: August 21, 2021, 07:41:32 pm
    August 21, 2021, 07:41:32 pm
    *Originally Posted by jakebake [+]
    Above anything else, do 2 test rides and don’t judge it on the 1st one.

    Ask the sales guy to run through the electronics menu and make sure none of the settings are set to restrict the bike ie  anti-wheelie, traction control , engine breaking etc. etc, set all of them to the least intrusive ( don’t worry the bike will be perfectly controllable………ish !

    Also ask them to make sure the chain has been recently adjusted. The demo bikes get abused and the chains rarely get looked at and if it’s a bit loose, the clutch less gear changes won’t be as smooth as the should be

    Lastly, make sure it in at least dynamic mode or dynamic pro

    I did not like my 1st test ride of the bike and gave it 4 weeks and then booked another one , which happened to be on a different gen 2  xr , which the salesman explained the electronics and set everything up to be least restrictive  and I was really impressed and bought a gen 2 motorsport

    Great advice Jake, as on any new bike your head is in overdrive and not concentrating on what's important at the time.

    If for example the bike doesn't have dynamic pro can the bmw dealer up grade the ecu before I buy it, is it a ££££ up grade? The bike.... if I buy it would be second hand one.

  • Offline kevmv   gb

    • XR Junior  ‐    12
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • #5

    Offline kevmv

    • XR Junior
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 12
    • Country: gb
    Re: Test ride Gen 2
    Reply #5 on: August 21, 2021, 07:56:05 pm
    August 21, 2021, 07:56:05 pm
    *Originally Posted by Winger [+]
    Never test rode mine either, although I did spec it how I wanted...non ESA/high HP seat, which was quite bizarre because my mate bought mine cuz he has a well known surname which came with a much nicer price, but heaven knows what they thought with a high HP seat cuz he’s way shorter than me, although I did pay him later  :001:

    Re the OP..hmm. If you are into demo’s i’d Certainly put other bikes on a short list, I currently run(cough) 6 they all have their uses, on that short list of yours  X/R...KTM GT/1290r because it doesn’t have electric suspension, and while you are at the BM dealer ride a GS1250...if BM ever build one with a 17” front wheel put me at the front of the queue.

    Most of the techy stuff has already been covered, just know how to change the fuelling that is what will last in your memory.

    Just too complicate things any folk wanting/thinking of another know of a K1300r Dynamic forsale on the net with less than 3000 miles for £6500, I have a K1200r Sport and more than able to deal with an X/R when it comes to bloody minded grunt.

    My short list really consists of 1000xr, mt-10 touring, or r1250rs, so really hoping I gel with the xr.

  • Online wessie   gb

    • XR Master  ‐    636
    • ****
      #6

    Online wessie

    • XR Master
    • ****
    • Posts: 636
    • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
    • Town: Cheltenham
    • Country: gb
    Re: Test ride Gen 2
    Reply #6 on: August 21, 2021, 08:00:11 pm
    August 21, 2021, 08:00:11 pm
    *Originally Posted by kevmv [+]
    My short list really consists of 1000xr, mt-10 touring, or r1250rs, so really hoping I gel with the xr.

    well, you might find you have to have an RS and an XR

    I did  :)

  • Offline Winger   gb

    • XR God  ‐    3579
    • *****
      #7

    Offline Winger

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 3579
    • Town: Birmingham
    • Country: gb
    Re: Test ride Gen 2
    Reply #7 on: August 21, 2021, 08:03:15 pm
    August 21, 2021, 08:03:15 pm
    *Originally Posted by kevmv [+]
    My short list really consists of 1000xr, mt-10 touring, or r1250rs, so really hoping I gel with the xr.

    Well that’s a fair cross section of society and why not  :001:, re the Dynamic Pro...they all have it, dealer upgrades after the 5/600 mile service, they don’t want you reving the spuds off a brand new motor  :002:
    Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 08:03:48 pm by Winger

  • Offline BobT   fr

    • XR Pro  ‐    198
    • ***
      #8

    Offline BobT

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 198
    • Bike: S1000XR, R1250RS
    • Town: Perigueux
    • Country: fr
    Re: Test ride Gen 2
    Reply #8 on: August 21, 2021, 09:21:08 pm
    August 21, 2021, 09:21:08 pm
    *Originally Posted by wessie [+]
    well, you might find you have to have an RS and an XR

    I did  :)

    Yes we do too. Both vary capable bikes. RS is much more fuel efficient.

  • Offline Mtbman24   ca

    • XR Member  ‐    70
    • **
      #9

    Offline Mtbman24

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Posts: 70
    • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
    • Town: Burnaby, BC
    • Country: ca
    Re: Test ride Gen 2
    Reply #9 on: August 21, 2021, 09:24:38 pm
    August 21, 2021, 09:24:38 pm
    I was unhappy with my naked sport bike (Suzuki S1000N) and found a used gen1 with low kms that I bought without a test ride. Loved it right from the start and wasn't seriously considering the gen2 when they first came out.  I was in the shop for some accessories when the salesperson asked if I wanted to try the new model. I waited a month and then went for it and was pretty impressed. The demo bike already had a deal pending so I jokingly told them to give me a call if the deal fell through   and it did.  They made me an offer I couldn't refuse and I have zero regrets.
    Then gen1s are amazing and very very capable bikes but the gen2 feels and fits me better. I love the new look and the electronics,  and really love the colour  Despite having the dynamic pro unlocked ages ago, I never use it. Dynamic is my go to mode and road in the city.

    Take a good loooong  test ride and you'll know.  :152:  and if that's not enough, take it out again!



    I plan to live forever.  So far, so good!