Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Heated Grips  (Read 16394 times)

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
Heated Grips
« on: May 23, 2016, 09:01:46 PM »
Mine are sh#t !

I know this because I swapped bikes for half an hour with a mate on a recent trip in Scotland  and his 65 plate GSA were nearly burning my hands on the low setting even through Grip puppies. Mine even on full were barely noticeable and he thought they were not on when i mentioned it.

I have a sneaky suspicion that that all the old GS heated grips from the 14 model year that were renowned for being piss poor have been utilised on the XR
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
Re: Heated Grips
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 09:25:45 PM »
I've had the conversation with the DP from my dealer, and it seems like a very odd backward step. BMW has commented, and put it down to the GS being able to cope with a higher draw on the battery. Are the grips on all S1000 models crap? They were on my R.

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 09:34:54 PM »
I think that is bollox !

They had a huge supply of crap ones left over from the GS and lo they are on the XR

They tried to come up with some tosh about the GS being unable to cope with the 15 model year grips remember !

Any way 6K service in a week and I will be trying to get them changed as they really are sh#t
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline bagwafu

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: South Central
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 10:16:53 PM »
Spoke to an XR owner at the weekend at Loomies who had been speaking to someone high up in Mottorad Technical and he had said in testing the newer grips have caused problems with the fly by wire system, in some cases causing full power to be applied irrespective of physical throttle position - this is a bad situation.  Hence we have the lower power grips on there.
S1000XR SE Sport

Offline mickthesaw

• XR Member
  • Town: South Yorks
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 10:19:18 PM »
no problem with my 16 gs grips on the XR,just the cpu turns them down.!

Offline fasttrak

• XR Pro
  • Chasing sunsets at 90 MPH.
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Morgan Hill
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 03:32:34 AM »
I finally got a chance to put my XR throught it's paces this last weekend on a three day trip into Northern California, Eureka, Trinity river area. Well known roads in this area for awesome twisties, HWY 299, HWY 36 and lot's of smaller goat roads. The day we left, Friday early morning, a cold front moved into Nor Cal and we rode on into rain, sleet and snow.

One of the roads we did,Titlow Hill Road, rode the crest line of the coastal range and the central valley. The road was like 72 miles long and was a true grit ride with snow, high winds throwing sleet at times and seriously bone chilling cold. Up to this point I have only lived with good riding gear, Rukka Armaxion jacket and pants and my heated grips. By the end of that 72 miles I was wishing for heated jacket and pants but thank god my hands were kept warm as I would of been a mess with out them. I could of hoped for a few more degrees out of the warmers but I hate winter gloves and yes, I use only leather summer gloves regardless of the season. Yes the gloves get pretty soaked but also allow the grip warmers to transmit the heat pretty good. If I was using unheated winter gloves I am sure I would of been more miserable once the cold seeped in.

While spending three days in pretty cold and wet conditions, I had plenty of time to ponder my riding gear selection for bad weather riding and the warmers will probably stay along with the leather gloves. I will add a quality heated jacket and pants as I am pretty sure I would of been a lot more comfortable had my legs and chest been something warmer than an ice cube.

Offline SPK

• XR Junior
  • Bike: XR
  • Town: Tampere
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 04:05:41 AM »
My -09 K13R had very low power on #1 and yet they got extremely hot with setting #2.
Unusable I would say.
XR has very good grips, the lower power is comfortable on mornings and second power enough for colder weather. (6C in rain is my coldest so far)

I think the protectors have effect also as they block the wind.
I ride with sporty thin leather gloves.

Offline fgdriver

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Red
  • Town: London
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 10:26:20 AM »
My heaters on my 15XR are really good they leave my hands bright red.  I also wear summer Dianese gloves or Alpinestar mesh gloves all year round.  I have type 1 Diabetes and the feeling in my finger is diminished so need to use thin gloves.  I agree that the protectors help as I also ride a Trophy and the heaters are better there as the hand is behind a big faring in still air.  Just my 2p

S.
As Always Ride Safe.

Offline SiRich

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Halifax, W.Yorks
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 11:46:39 PM »
They are absolutely rubbish for a British winter.  3 season grips!

Same as on my 2014 LC, they were garbage too.  Previous BMWs were much better in terms of heat.

Offline Fast Tony

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Waltham Abbey
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 04:10:00 PM »
I've suffered with cold hand for 20+years and use Heine Gericke "crab " 2 finger gloves. The XR's heated grips are just off tepid. Not as good as my mates new GS.

dysfunctional