Author notchy brake lever feel  (Read 1786 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • Offline SwiftTone   us

    • XR Member  ‐    52
    • **
    • Topic Author

    Offline SwiftTone

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 52
    • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
    • Town: Boston, MA
    • Country: us
    notchy brake lever feel
    on: August 26, 2021, 10:33:57 pm
    August 26, 2021, 10:33:57 pm
    Been trying to sort through this and I'm out of ideas. Basically when pulling in the lever for the front brakes, 40% of the time the lever will feel notchy. It feels smooth but it will hit a "notch" that will require more pull pressure to overcome. Once overcome it feels like i've "grabbed" the brakes too hard.

    When I first had this problem, the dealer diagnosed one of the brake pistons has seized after hard riding (Tail of the Dragon). I rebuilt the calipers with new pistons+seals, new Brembo pads, and bled the brakes with GS911. It felt okay but brake feel at the lever feels soft pretty quickly, and the notchy feeling returns. I've blend it plenty of times since then, and itll feel good for about 300 miles and return. I've also tried zip tying the brake lever as tight to the hang grip overnight. And again, it'll feel good for 300 miles and go back to soft and notchy feel.

    Need help here please. Has anyone had this problem and fixed it successfully?

  • Offline Antares   gb

    • XR God  ‐    1073
    • *****
      #1

    Offline Antares

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 1073
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    • Country: gb
    Re: notchy brake lever feel
    Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 11:57:08 am
    August 28, 2021, 11:57:08 am
    *Originally Posted by SwiftTone [+]
    Been trying to sort through this and I'm out of ideas. Basically when pulling in the lever for the front brakes, 40% of the time the lever will feel notchy. It feels smooth but it will hit a "notch" that will require more pull pressure to overcome. Once overcome it feels like i've "grabbed" the brakes too hard.

    When I first had this problem, the dealer diagnosed one of the brake pistons has seized after hard riding (Tail of the Dragon). I rebuilt the calipers with new pistons+seals, new Brembo pads, and bled the brakes with GS911. It felt okay but brake feel at the lever feels soft pretty quickly, and the notchy feeling returns. I've blend it plenty of times since then, and itll feel good for about 300 miles and return. I've also tried zip tying the brake lever as tight to the hang grip overnight. And again, it'll feel good for 300 miles and go back to soft and notchy feel.

    Need help here please. Has anyone had this problem and fixed it successfully?

    I experience this on mine too and the source is actually the discs. When you feel the notch put one hand on the discs and you'll feel a click through them, when stationary and cold the floating discs don't move that freely and the notch you feel is when they suddenly move. I'd have a look at the rivets and just make sure the disc moves on each of them. For me it's not causing any issues and doesn't happen when riding at all. Try riding with ABS off and see if your lever still feels soft, whilst I had my abs ring ruined by a tyre shop I was riding for 2 weeks without any electronics and the brakes felt really nice and sharp, once I got the electronics back the brakes were definitely softer but still plenty strong and enough feedback for my tastes.

  • Offline garyculb   us

    • XR Pro  ‐    151
    • ***
      #2

    Offline garyculb

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 151
    • Doc
    • Bike: 2021 XR Sport
    • Town: Sumter, SC
    • Country: us
    Re: notchy brake lever feel
    Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 11:04:40 pm
    August 29, 2021, 11:04:40 pm
    I had the same issue with KTM GT. Replacing/fixing the brakes made it better- for awhile. The solution: CHANGE THE ROTARS!! Went with BRAKETECH. Problem/issue went away. Highly Recommend!! https://motowheels.com/i-23900338-braketech-axis-cobra-stainless-steel-series-320mm-x-5mm-bmw-s1000rr-xr-pair.html

    Best,

    Doc :084: :084:
    2021 XR Sport

  • Offline Antares   gb

    • XR God  ‐    1073
    • *****
      #3

    Offline Antares

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 1073
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    • Country: gb
    Re: notchy brake lever feel
    Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 11:21:49 pm
    August 29, 2021, 11:21:49 pm
    *Originally Posted by garyculb [+]
    I had the same issue with KTM GT. Replacing/fixing the brakes made it better- for awhile. The solution: CHANGE THE ROTARS!! Went with BRAKETECH. Problem/issue went away. Highly Recommend!! https://motowheels.com/i-23900338-braketech-axis-cobra-stainless-steel-series-320mm-x-5mm-bmw-s1000rr-xr-pair.html

    Best,

    Doc :084: :084:


    I'm sure those are great discs and all but i think 700 bucks is a bit steep for a stubborn disc pin haha, I'd start with some brake cleaner and a brush first.

  • Offline smithy   au

    • XR God  ‐    2206
    • *****
      #4

    Offline smithy

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 2206
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    • Country: au
    Re: notchy brake lever feel
    Reply #4 on: August 30, 2021, 12:43:09 am
    August 30, 2021, 12:43:09 am
    *Originally Posted by garyculb [+]
    I had the same issue with KTM GT. Replacing/fixing the brakes made it better- for awhile. The solution: CHANGE THE ROTARS!! Went with BRAKETECH. Problem/issue went away. Highly Recommend!! https://motowheels.com/i-23900338-braketech-axis-cobra-stainless-steel-series-320mm-x-5mm-bmw-s1000rr-xr-pair.html

    Best, Doc :084: :084:

    Can you tell me what ROTARS are please..??  :038: :001: Or do you mean rotors..??  :164:

    Sorry...just being a pedantic twat.. :016:

    Smithy.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

  • Online SimonUK   us

    • XR Master  ‐    931
    • ****
      #5

    Online SimonUK

    • XR Master
    • ****
    • Posts: 931
    • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
    • Town: Upstate, SC
    • Country: us
    Re: notchy brake lever feel
    Reply #5 on: August 30, 2021, 02:25:34 am
    August 30, 2021, 02:25:34 am
    Rotars are a component of the breaks!!!

  • Offline smithy   au

    • XR God  ‐    2206
    • *****
      #6

    Offline smithy

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 2206
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    • Country: au
    Re: notchy brake lever feel
    Reply #6 on: August 30, 2021, 03:27:22 am
    August 30, 2021, 03:27:22 am
    *Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
    Rotars are a component of the breaks!!!

    LOL.. :008: I'm also amazed at how many people call our motorcycle brakes..."breaks" and rotors are "rotars"...?

    Smithy.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

  • Online Winger   gb

    • XR God  ‐    3522
    • *****
      #7

    Online Winger

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 3522
    • Town: Birmingham
    • Country: gb
    Re: notchy brake lever feel
    Reply #7 on: August 30, 2021, 08:08:41 am
    August 30, 2021, 08:08:41 am
    *Originally Posted by garyculb [+]
    I had the same issue with KTM GT. Replacing/fixing the brakes made it better- for awhile. The solution: CHANGE THE ROTARS!! Went with BRAKETECH. Problem/issue went away. Highly Recommend!! https://motowheels.com/i-23900338-braketech-axis-cobra-stainless-steel-series-320mm-x-5mm-bmw-s1000rr-xr-pair.html

    Best,

    Doc :084: :084:


    Had the same problem with my GT and went Brembo discs.

  • Offline SwiftTone   us

    • XR Member  ‐    52
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #8

    Offline SwiftTone

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 52
    • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
    • Town: Boston, MA
    • Country: us
    Re: notchy brake lever feel
    Reply #8 on: September 09, 2021, 02:45:01 am
    September 09, 2021, 02:45:01 am
    Finally resolved the issue. There was build up on the contact points between the lever and master cylinder. Removed and cleaned. Now it feels great!


  • Offline Antares   gb

    • XR God  ‐    1073
    • *****
      #9

    Offline Antares

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 1073
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    • Country: gb
    Re: notchy brake lever feel
    Reply #9 on: September 09, 2021, 11:54:09 am
    September 09, 2021, 11:54:09 am
    *Originally Posted by SwiftTone [+]
    Finally resolved the issue. There was build up on the contact points between the lever and master cylinder. Removed and cleaned. Now it feels great!



    Sometimes it's the simplest things isn't it  :008: