Author Anyone try Wunderlich AKTIVKOMFORT seat for Gen 2 XR  (Read 4106 times)

• Offline taaktavar6r   us

• XR Member  ‐    26
    • Topic Author

Offline taaktavar6r

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2021 S1000XR
    • Town: Los Angeles, CA
    Anyone try Wunderlich AKTIVKOMFORT seat for Gen 2 XR
    on: September 08, 2021, 08:30:17 am
    September 08, 2021, 08:30:17 am
    I have a 21 S1000xr.  The stock seat pushed me into the tank, especially on down hill twisities.  I have a sargent seat now, which is an improvement and makes the bike rideable, but not perfect.  Has anyone tried the new Wunderlich seat for the XR (linked below?)  I wonder if it could be an improvement.  I'm impressed withe quality of one of their items I've bought before and they seem to specialize in BMWs.  The seat is making me want to sell the bike at somepoint in the future, which sucks because I love how the bike performs and it's concept.  My issue it seems, is I can't fit my whole ass in the seat.  Im not a big person.  I'm 6'1/180 lbs, 185.4 cm/81.6 kg.  Just alot of money for a seat which I may or may not like.  But could be cheaper than selling a bike!

https://www.wunderlichamerica.com/BMW_S1000_XR_Wunderlich_Seat

Edit:  Their website says you can take a "reasonable" test ride on a seat to see if you like it before returning if you choose to do that.  Looks like the return might just be store credit instead of cash.  Will call tomorrow to clear that up.

• Offline LeaderBike   us

• XR Junior  ‐    2

Offline LeaderBike

• XR Junior
    • Bike: 20 S1000XR TE
    • Town: San Diego
    Re: Anyone try Wunderlich AKTIVKOMFORT seat for Gen 2 XR
    Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 07:42:25 pm
    September 08, 2021, 07:42:25 pm
    I thank you in advance for trying this seat out and reporting back! :152:

I am also eager to see other seat options without trying them all.

• XR Member  ‐    26
    • Topic Author

Offline taaktavar6r

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 07:47:54 pm
    September 08, 2021, 07:47:54 pm
    I called Wunderlich USA and they confirmed the refund would be cash.  I went ahead and placed an order.  After I receive it and test it, I’ll post pictures of it and the Sargent, and write up a comparison.

• Offline TheRat   gb

• XR Junior  ‐    6

Offline TheRat

• XR Junior
    Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 11:09:56 pm
    September 08, 2021, 11:09:56 pm
    I am in the UK and I once had a bike where the seat was causing me enormous pain so I had a chap in the USA do a custom seat for me having seen others singing his praises, and I also liked that the reworked seats still looked tidy/OEM.

Here is his website: http://laamseats.com/

I have no connection to the company, but what he did was great and really worked.

He asks what the problems are for you, and individually tailors the seat to address the issues.  I think though there is a waiting list usually.

• Offline runnerhiker   us

• XR Pro  ‐    229

Offline runnerhiker

• XR Pro
    • Bike: '19 S1000XR
    • Town: Niwot CO USA
    Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 04:22:05 am
    September 09, 2021, 04:22:05 am
    I am curious to see how this goes for you.  I have the same issue with my 2019 Gen 1.  When the Gen 2 came out, the first thing I wanted to check out was the seat - it was no better than the Gen 1 so I am keeping my Gen 1.

I bought and returned a Wunderlich standard height seat, then I got a Wunderlich high seat.  The high seat was better but still not perfect.  They sent me pictures of the std and high seat side by side and that was helpful, you should request that too.  The std seat pushed me into the tank like the OEM seat, the high seat does it too but much less.  I will probably take the high seat to a seat shop and ask them to remove about 1/4" from the rear of the seat.

I have a Wunderlich seat on a BMW R1250RS that I can do 10 hour days!  Damn it, that's what I want on my XR also, but look closely at the frame design and you'll see the seat manufacturers have a real challenge on the XR.

Red knife is the high seat.

Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 04:26:27 am by runnerhiker
    '19 S1000XR
    '20 R1250 RS
    '22 Kawasaki ZH2

• Offline Winger   gb

• XR God  ‐    3580

Offline Winger

• XR God
    • Town: Birmingham
    Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 07:28:59 am
    September 09, 2021, 07:28:59 am
    When I bought my Gen1 new never had the stock seat did a deal for the high HP, 3 seats later ended up with this bought off ebay and no idea who made it but works great, best of luck on your search.

Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 07:32:12 am by Winger

• Online garyculb   us

• XR Pro  ‐    171

Online garyculb

• XR Pro
    • Doc
    • Bike: 2021 XR Sport
    • Town: Sumter, SC
    Reply #6 on: September 10, 2021, 12:31:12 am
    September 10, 2021, 12:31:12 am
    runner hiker,

Thanks, that is great information on the Gen 2 Wunderlich XR seats. Found the Sargent seat pushed me into the tank & the BMW OEM Comfort seat to be the BEST. Did over 1,000 miles throughout the Appalachian Mountains without an issue on the OEM Comfort seat. Now, I do have the Hornig bar risers that go up & back (https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/BMW-S-1000-XR-2020/Alu-High-grade-Steel/Handlebar-Risers-with-offset.html ). Ergonometics are very important to me while Sports Touring (30 inch inseam). Here are a couple photo's of the OEM confort &  Sargent seat's from the side.

Best,

Doc :084: :084:

2021 XR Sport

• XR Member  ‐    26
    • Topic Author

Offline taaktavar6r

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: September 10, 2021, 12:42:36 am
    September 10, 2021, 12:42:36 am
    *Originally Posted by garyculb [+]
    runner hiker,

Thanks, that is great information on the Gen 2 Wunderlich XR seats. Found the Sargent seat pushed me into the tank & the BMW OEM Comfort seat to be the BEST. Did over 1,000 miles throughout the Appalachian Mountains without an issue on the OEM Comfort seat. Now, I do have the Hornig bar risers that go up & back (https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/BMW-S-1000-XR-2020/Alu-High-grade-Steel/Handlebar-Risers-with-offset.html ). Ergonometics are very important to me while Sports Touring (30 inch inseam). Here are a couple photo's of the OEM confort &  Sargent seat's from the side.

Best,

First off, awesome bike!  I like the color/ set up with black luggage.  I have the black top case now on mine.  If I did it all again, I would’ve got the sport model.  But I got a really good deal on my loaded up Ice Grey.  Are there any cable issues with those riser/set backs, it’s exactly what I’m looking for!  How much higher is the comfort seat than the standard?  Seat height isn’t an issue in terms of inseam.  Just creates more windscreen issues and negates the effects of the risers slightly, thanks!
    Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 12:50:58 am by taaktavar6r

• Online garyculb   us

• XR Pro  ‐    171

Online garyculb

• XR Pro
    • Doc
    • Bike: 2021 XR Sport
    • Town: Sumter, SC
    Reply #8 on: September 10, 2021, 02:30:49 am
    September 10, 2021, 02:30:49 am
    taaktavar6r,

I find the OEM comfort seat to be about 0.5 higher than seat provided with my 2021XR Sport. Like most comfortable seats I have to move foward when stopping to get the balls of feet on the ground.

Choose the Gustaffsen Windscreen (https://bikescreen.com/products/bmw-s1000xr-2020). Great protection when sheild is in high position, no back pressure & can see over when down. Make sure to install the lower screw spacers to keep the sheild from rubbing. They come with the windscreen. Or, you can use washers.

Yes, if you use the Hornig risers with offset you most likely are going to have to relocate the clutch cable. The clutch cable on the center columb has a plastic ridge it sets in. Move it back & zip tie the clutch cable to the electrical lines behind it. Very easy to do. Check to make sure your clutch cable is between the exhaust and radiator (actual OEM position). Here is a picture of the clutch cable after relocation. The electrical lines anterior to the clutch cable plastic ridge are my Clearwater Darla electrical lines:

Best,

Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 02:35:12 am by garyculb
    2021 XR Sport

• XR Member  ‐    26
    • Topic Author

Offline taaktavar6r

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #9 on: September 10, 2021, 03:23:46 am
    September 10, 2021, 03:23:46 am
    *Originally Posted by garyculb [+]
    taaktavar6r,

I find the OEM comfort seat to be about 0.5 higher than seat provided with my 2021XR Sport. Like most comfortable seats I have to move foward when stopping to get the balls of feet on the ground.

Choose the Gustaffsen Windscreen (https://bikescreen.com/products/bmw-s1000xr-2020). Great protection when sheild is in high position, no back pressure & can see over when down. Make sure to install the lower screw spacers to keep the sheild from rubbing. They come with the windscreen. Or, you can use washers.

Yes, if you use the Hornig risers with offset you most likely are going to have to relocate the clutch cable. The clutch cable on the center columb has a plastic ridge it sets in. Move it back & zip tie the clutch cable to the electrical lines behind it. Very easy to do. Check to make sure your clutch cable is between the exhaust and radiator (actual OEM position). Here is a picture of the clutch cable after relocation. The electrical lines anterior to the clutch cable plastic ridge are my Clearwater Darla electrical lines:

Best,

Thanks for the help!  I’ll get these ordered up.  I have an MRA touring screen on order.  But it’s way uglier than that screen, so I’ll return it!

dysfunctional